Speaker Opinions

Catcher10

Prog-tastic!
So I am window shopping for speakers. As you see in my sig I have Epos Epic2 and I really like them a lot. They perform well above specs, I really have no complains but was just wondering if I can improve the overall sound with what I have been looking at.

Wharfdale Diamond 10.7
Wharfdale Diamond 240
Wharfdale Diamond 250
Focal Chorus 816V
Monitor Audio Silver 6
KEF Q500, maybe Q700
Polk Audio RTi A7

I was also looking at maybe just adding a REL T5 sub...but now my mind is just wandering all over. :D

Any input folks might have would be appreciated, especially if you own any of these tower speakers.

Cheers~!

(Mods please delete this same thread from Speaker Forum...I will try for responses here ....Thanks!!)

That's my struggle Art....as you notice I am going for towers with more drivers and looking to better the low end of the Epic 2, although not bad and I don't feel the need for 30Hz.
All are reasonably priced...like I said my mind is wandering :scratch2:

maybe I should add the Epic 5 to the mix....

epos-epic5.jpg

Last edited:
BLEH... I prefer what he already has. Tekton, to me, would be a step down.

Doing investigation on Tekton.....I am not crazy about the high sensitivity rating and seems people that have them drive them with like 3 watt amps. I guess you never know what they had before. But you have a point in that I do enjoy the Epos....So the tower Epic 5 might move up the ladder if I go that route.

Listen to the Triton 2's that I have in my setup. Not blindly pushing what I have, but basing upon what you seem to be aiming for. You might find exactly what you are looking for, and they always sell for less than the List Price. Not sure how that falls in your suggested list. If you wish to spend even more, the Triton 1 is actually a bit better, but the leap isn't huge between the 1s and 2s.

I have heard most of the speakers you have mentioned and personally owned KEF Q-500's for quite a bit. Nice speaker but you know what has replaced them?
Tekton M-Lores. Tekton is for SURE NOT a step down. They beat the Q-500's easily.

I have never heard KEF Q500 speakers nor the Tektons. Honky and bloated is not bueno...I suspect auditioning Tektons is out of the question, so I found a couple yt vids and though these are not for decision making, I was not too impressed with what I was hearing. The price is impressive....but I can get the Epic 5 for same price.

No need to battle on all this guys, I appreciate everyone's comments, good or bad. Passion drives decisions, always.

The Epics are an excellent value speaker. Truthfully to get a better speaker, and not a just a different speaker, you will need to spend more money. Last I listened to Tektons they were on the business end of a Naim and then a Rega amp right there in Seattle (Hawthorne). They also had the Epic 2. I far preferred the Epics. For my ears the Q series KEF's are also a step down in quality. At best it could be argued that they are a lateral move.

Why not try a used rel t5 to fill in the bottom end?

If it doesnt pan out, sell them for little or no loss.

I notice your amp is a NAD. Perhaps something from PSB would be a good match...the new x2t if you can stretch your budget.

Catcher10

If they don't have to be new and you are amenable to looking outside of the "usual" recommendations here, these are worth considering. I bought a pair in January and they sent a pair of Vandersteen Treos packing. This is less than a third of new price.
Strong bass down into the mid-20's. I still use my Vandersteen subs sometimes, because they are here, but not needed.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=135388.0

Jack

A basic place of happiness with your setup is a great starting point. I've never regretted holding out for something that will be a substantial upgrade.

I find then honky and bloated - if you like flea power - these are your babies - anything else no.

That is a rare opinion of Tekton's. What model were you listening too? What associated gear? How were they setup?

Only time I felt my Lore's were bloated is when they were too close to the wall and not on spikes. Added spikes, moved out about a foot and they were excellent.

I suspect setup might have been to blame.

I never ran mine on less than 8.5wpc. But I ran them with as much as 200wpc. They really aren't fussy when it comes to amps.

- Woody

Back
Top Bottom