New Amp recommendations-Class D

frankbooth

So, I'm looking for recommendations for an amplifier. In my quest to shrink my system's footprint, the amplifier is the final key.

I'm using the Benchmark DAC 2 HGC as my DAC and preamp.
Sources are a dedicated Mac Mini and my Music Hall table running through the amazing Vista Audio phono preamp.

My budget is $1600 max.
I would like something on the warmer side of neutral or at least not forward in any way.
I like bass. :D
I'll look at new or used but I don't want anything more than say 3-4 years old.
Doesn't need to be a class D amp, but needs to run cool. This will end up in an semi-enclosed type of credenza and I can't have a heater in there.
It can't be more than around 15" deep
A 12V trigger is a bonus, but if it's a digital amp, not necessary.

I'm using the KEF's listed below and usually listen at lower volumes. I'm thinking about 75WPC is minimum (the Bel Canto).

So far I'm considering the following amps

Wyred4Sound St 500 MkII
Bel Canto REF 150S
NuPrime ST-10

Used Bel Canto REF 500s

Comments, observations, other amp companies I should be looking at?

Last edited:
You could check out Peachtree Audio's Nova line. Their more powerful models would run around 1500-1600. Also, the Rogue Audio Sphinx runs around 1,300. 100wpc class D plus a tube buffer (2- 12AU or AX7's) in the preamp section. Advantage Peachtree: a very decent built-in DAC. Advantage Rogue: a very decent built-in phono pre.

I'm looking for an amp only, not an integrated.
I have seen some Peachtree 220 power amps pop up and would consider one of those. they look sweet too.

Pursue a used Lyngdorf model. They have amps as well as integrated. He designs to avoid digital distortion that others don't.

You might check out classdaudio.com and digitalamp.com as well. I've heard neither.

Happy Listening!
DeeCee

Channel island and Red dragon are out of my price range unless they're used.
I've been searching the Gon and other sites and don't see many used.
I'm really looking at the W4S and Nuprime.

Nice idea in concept, but unless you live in one of a handful of cities really not feasible. Plus the majority of the Class D companies are mostly ID and an audition requires a deposit and shipping both ways. Sometimes you are forced to rely on reviews from reviewers whose taste is similar to yours or owners with similar gear.

That's kind of where I'm at. In this new age of factory direct and smaller outfits it's difficult to audition in any meaningful way. A local shop sells Bel Can't but they don't sell speakers I'm familiar with so who knows what I'm actually listening to. I think I've ruled them out anyway since they don't have a standby mode.
My shop deals with Parasound so I'll have a listen to the A23 soon, on my KEF's. Not exactly what I'm looking for but who knows. I should be able to take that home too.

Something else came up. A local place has some Peachtree 220's for a sweet price. They're more of a big time A/V place so I'm not sure about home trials but I'll see.

Before I shelled out big bucks for any of those I'd get the dual chip TPA3116.

The cost is $10.99 and with a $22 Pyramid regulated power supply I have no doubt it will go head to head with any of them if not sound better.

Put a good Chinese tube preamp in front of it and you'll have a giant killer for less than a third of your budget.

How enclosed is your credenza? I was running my ARC D240 plus a tube preamp in my enclosed HT cabinet and it was a little warm, but not hot. The cabinet did have a fan at the top of the back and ventilated shelves which helps.

I have had a Peachtree integrated (Decco65) and it sounded nice, though I thought it was a little tiring after awhile.

I now have a little NAD D3020 and if that is representative of NAD's class D amps, I love it!

I've owned Bel Canto M300 mono blocks for about 5 years. I'm just as happy with them today as the day I bought them. It's true they don't have a standby mode as they are designed to be left on. Since they are a green design I don't worry about their power consumption. I feel like they are one of the best audio purchases I've ever made.

cubdog

Jump straight to the endgame of class D: the Hypex nCore. James Romeyn Audio sells stereo power amplifiers using the nCore NC400 for $1490. Hypex are the progenitors of class D hi-fi and Bruno Putzeys knows the ins and outs of class D more than anyone else on this planet, I'd imagine.

**Whether the consequent sound signature, if any, is pleasing to you is another matter, of course. The near-universal adulation of nCore and its tweaked derivatives seems to put you in good stead.

To answer some questions;
I don't have a credenza yet, I'm still trying to decide on ones that are out there. I'm thinking about having one made. mostly what I'm looking at are the ones with sliding doors. I will be able to open it to get air flow through and allow my remotes to work, but I have a baby and a dog and don't want anything out completely in the open. Depending on the amp, anything could work as long as it doesn't get real hot.
I'm liking class D designs because of the heat as well as the small form. Fitting inside a piece of furniture is key to me right now. I can go around 15" deep and still be comfortable.
Wanting a standby mode, for me, has nothing to do with saving electricity. In the summer, I run a small chip amp with the other set of outputs on my dac. This amp runs outside speakers and sometimes I don't want everything playing inside while I'm listening outside. I could just turn the amp off, but I'd rather not have to reach around back and do a hard on/off if I don't have to. Also, on the weekends it isn't uncommon for me to play music for 12+ hours straight if I'm home.

I have seen those NCore amps and they are intriguing, but spending that much for a quasi DIY thing makes me nervous. No return policy and I don't know anyone running those.

Couldn't you just hook your speakers up to a speaker switch box then just select which pair you want to run? They are cheap and the ones I've used have worked quite well.

cubdog

To answer some questions;
I don't have a credenza yet, I'm still trying to decide on ones that are out there. I'm thinking about having one made. mostly what I'm looking at are the ones with sliding doors. I will be able to open it to get air flow through and allow my remotes to work, but I have a baby and a dog and don't want anything out completely in the open. Depending on the amp, anything could work as long as it doesn't get real hot.
I'm liking class D designs because of the heat as well as the small form. Fitting inside a piece of furniture is key to me right now. I can go around 15" deep and still be comfortable.
Wanting a standby mode, for me, has nothing to do with saving electricity. In the summer, I run a small chip amp with the other set of outputs on my dac. This amp runs outside speakers and sometimes I don't want everything playing inside while I'm listening outside. I could just turn the amp off, but I'd rather not have to reach around back and do a hard on/off if I don't have to. Also, on the weekends it isn't uncommon for me to play music for 12+ hours straight if I'm home.

I have seen those NCore amps and they are intriguing, but spending that much for a quasi DIY thing makes me nervous. No return policy and I don't know anyone running those.

FWIW, one cause of the high margins retail hifi requires for survival is to fund generous return policies. Not a big issue because nCores invariably sell very easily on classified forums like that of Audiocircle. nCore amps I've heard (NAD and Merrill's Veritas) are truly at the top-end of amplification regardless of class. Depth, fluidity, smoothness and utter transparency without sterility.

Back
Top Bottom