KA-9100 Restoration Help

Ry0019

Hey guys its my first post here, after happily owning a KR-5030 for some time I finally decided to upgrade to a KA-9100 that I am taking my time restoring.

I was able to pick one up off ebay for $150. The unit was advertised as broken which was fine with me because I am planning on a restoration and can't afford to pay ~$600 for a 40 year old amplifier. There were only a few low res pics in the auction but i took a chance and pulled the trigger.

The 9100 arrived a few weeks ago and man did I pick a winner. It is in pristine physical condition. No scratches/scuffs and she works! The relay energized quickly and after playing with the pots both channels worked. The noise floor was too loud for my liking so I will be replacing all the diodes/transistors in addition to a full recap.

I have sense disassembled the unit which was a chore and I now loath wire wraps. I have a few questions for anyone who has restored one of these bad boys before, but first some pictures.

http://imgur.com/cXaGgIr,4yg1LYz,KE...cAs,G1jbe05,ULA1VtA,pfHTpXF,NraGBwO,bdFcIvE#0

I have already purchased modern 12,000uf 35mm caps that I am in the process of making pvc adapters for, and idea that I found here:
http://www.cdkands.com/ka91002/ka91007.html

My questions are:

How can i tell which caps are power vs which caps are in the signal path? What different types of caps do people recommend for this unit. From what I've seen in other restorations a combination of Nichicon PW, Nichicon DK, Panasonic FM are popular.

If this thread garners interest I try to document my progress more thoroughly than I have been so far.
Thanks in advance guys

Last edited:
Those Nichicon Gold Tunes I used (Recommended in many threads by Echowars) for the filter caps are drop in replacements. They don't require any modifications to fit the holes in the diode boards or the clamp. They are of good quality as well and not too pricey at $13 each. I also bypassed the four filter caps with some Panasonic stacked film caps. You will love the sound of that amp :yes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom