Dc offset

egp823

Can we do a Dc offset check on preamps? If yes, do I set probes on output? What are settings on control panel? Thank you.

Yes you can. And you'd want NO audio through, so set the front panel controls to some high-level input (Aux or Tuner), and turn the volume all the way down.

Would it mean that if I get a reading up to 15mv , i have a good working preamp with no problems or issues? Reason I'm asking is before i hook my preamp to my amp I want to be sure that this will not cause any problem on my newly purchased amp.Thank you.

FWIW most preamps have coupling caps on the outputs, so most the measurement is meaning less. However, many high end models have "direct" or "laboratory" outputs and DC check would be useful information. Check of service manual or schematic or informed technician is recommended. And if DC is present with cap coupled circuit, could be (rare) bad cap. YMMV

Nearly all preamps have some capacitor to decouple any possible DC, so I'd expect you to read something like 10mV or less. But if the output side of the cap doesn't have a path to ground without a connection to an amp, it may read a several volts. On a preamp like that, properly measuring any DC at the output is a bit trickier.

Both the C-85 and C-65 MC offsets are measured at the rec.out. Not the pre-amp out.

Would it mean that if I get a reading up to 15mv , i have a good working preamp with no problems or issues? Reason I'm asking is before i hook my preamp to my amp I want to be sure that this will not cause any problem on my newly purchased amp.Thank you.

What amp ? MX-1000 ?

On the C-4 . DC offset is adjusted for 0.00vdc +/- 200mv.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
If its a Yamaha amplifier and the DC offset from the pre-amp is incompatable with the amplifier. The amplifier will just stay in protect mode.

Back
Top Bottom