Pioneer cs-77a tweeters unobtanium?

Copa1934

My ears are bleeding
Subscriber
Long story, sort of. Acquired a pair of CS-77a speakers. One had fallen from a shelf, 12', onto a cement floor (in the garage). Got them for something like $5, or thereabouts. There was no way I could repair the damaged cabinet. Was like it exploded on impact. So parted them out, keeping just the networks and the one good cabinet.

Fast forward and a friend gave me a orphan CS-77a, complete. Need drivers and a grill, for my old cabinet to make a complete set.

Problem is, all but the tweeter (77-702F) are readily available. Are these tweeters typically difficult to come by? I know they usually need foam, but are people simply tossing them rather than re-foam?

Thanks

I've managed to locate one 702F.

http://www.bonanza.com/listings/Pioneer-77-702F-Tweeter-from-CS-77A-Vintage-Wrkng-/259886872

If the 701F's are compatible they are much more readily available from OakTreeVintage.
For what they're asking I might look at P.E. for a "replacement". All the other drivers are fairly reasonable, though the best deals are pairs. I don't mind as I can pick the best "match" and sell off the other drivers. I'll just have to be patient I guess.

Your in luck Copa, there is a single 77-702F tweeter on the pay site for $25 with a buy it now option. Good luck.

Dang Francis... If we met about 3 months before we did, I would of had ya set :(

I know these won't work for the CS-77a, but I do have single Pioneer PT-204 and PT-257a tweeters if you can find a use for either of them

I still have the CS-77a cabs though if you want them!!
I do. Hmmmm. If at least one is better than the one I received recently, from Pete, then I could make up a nice pair. The "other" cabs I could use for the HPM-60 project.

They can use a Howards job or something better, but they are solid wood with no major chips (as far as I know)

I've got parts from a 77a -- grill, one woofer, two mids, two 77 tweeters (need refoaming, alas) and the horn tweeter.
PM me - even though packing will be a hassle, they aren't doing me any good here.

I hope these work out for your Copa. I have a fondness for my 77a's - although I find them to be very amp picky. The best I had with them was connected to my Sansui 9090 in the living room of my old house. The room was a bit lively (plaster walls, wood floor) but the soundstage and imaging was just incredible. I remember watching movies and it sounding like overhead voices were coming out of my ceiling. I could really get those woofers moving too. Very cool. However with other amps the speakers went flat and lifeless. Very peculiar. I really need to recap them though - have the parts just not the time. Let us know how it goes.
Tiga

I hope these work out for your Copa. I have a fondness for my 77a's - although I find them to be very amp picky. The best I had with them was connected to my Sansui 9090 in the living room of my old house. The room was a bit lively (plaster walls, wood floor) but the soundstage and imaging was just incredible. I remember watching movies and it sounding like overhead voices were coming out of my ceiling. I could really get those woofers moving too. Very cool. However with other amps the speakers went flat and lifeless. Very peculiar. I really need to recap them though - have the parts just not the time. Let us know how it goes.
Tiga
I figure if I don't get too much invested, caps would be in order. Josh is a good friend, so I'll have to take him up on the cabinets. I have one really nice one. If he has a good match then it will certainly make it more worth while.

I don't "need" speakers, but I certainly don't want them going to the landfill either.

Back
Top Bottom