Help ID'ing 15" coax speaker

kstlfido

Hi folks-

I am looking to identify this speaker, discovered recently in the SF bay area.

Cast frame, black wrinkle finish. Oval cone tweeter suspended on frame above woofer. Felt surround. No name or any ID info. Just a code stamped on the magnet- 2755/3.

Has a Dublier crossover cap, which I gather indicates US manufacture. I associate felt surrounds with British speakers, though.

Speaker is housed in a very large cabinet which has an unusual, two chamber design separated by a rockwool (?) or loose fabric mesh. Cabinet appears factory. No pics of the cabinet, yet.

Please see pics attached. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Kent

Attachments

• IMG_4704-01.jpg
    IMG_4704-01.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_6228-01.jpg
    IMG_6228-01.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_6229-01.jpg
    IMG_6229-01.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_6233-01.jpg
    IMG_6233-01.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_6234-01.jpg
    IMG_6234-01.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 79
Cool speaker, Looks British - EMI/Wharfedale - No idea on an ID but it's got what looks like a quality cast basket - How does it sound?

If that 2755/3 is a variation on the EIA code, then it indicates manufacture by Radio Craftsmen, Inc. of Chicago in the fifth week of a year ending in 3.

I can almost definitely say that it is a Plessey speaker from here in the UK. Have a pair of corner speakers with the same mid/tweeter coaxially mounted

Attachments

• DSC_0044.jpg
    DSC_0044.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC_0043.jpg
    DSC_0043.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 65
Yes, they are cast frames (or baskets).

Thanks for the insights.

The only EMI pics I found show ovoid speakers. I've seen a fair amount of Wharfedale's in the past; the only similarity I see here is the felt surround.

I'll look into a possible Craftsmen connection. IIRC, they were not really into the speaker biz, probably rebranding other maker's drivers.

No EIA codes on the rim, or any codes on the cone.

Here are some pictures of the cabinet, attached.

2ndtimelucky- bingo! Plessey CA-15 (W-15 woofer, T-64 tweeter). Thank you! Marketed in the US through Sonotone. I gather this one is not the Sonotone cabinet, possibly a Plessey original? Link to info-
http://www.roger-russell.com/sonopg/sonos.htm

Attachments

• IMG_6243-01.jpg
    IMG_6243-01.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6245-01.jpg
    IMG_6245-01.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Does yours have that perforated felt damping Roger described?

A long time ago in the early 1960's I was given a entire Craftsman set up and the speaker did look like that one.
Ed

Does yours have that perforated felt damping Roger described?

No, the box (shown, above) that came with the driver has a port in the bottom. The inside of the box is separated horizontally into two chambers by a thick piece of felt. The driver is in the upper chamber.

-Kent

Craftsman equipment was built by Hallicrafter. If you come across any Hallicrafter Hi Fi equipment you may find one of those drivers in it.
Ed

It almost looks like that driver could have been made by Bozak... the crinkle finish, flat spider, and the way the magnet is made...

Plus, Bozak was big about strap-mounted coax tweeters...

Regards,
Gordon.

Who made it is only of curiosity value/interest IMO
What does it sound like? is the Real Question.

Back
Top Bottom