KR-6600 dial lamp mod

Robisme

Sansui Enthusiast
I had to replace the dial lamps on a KR-6600, and you all know that the original type are not available. Or at least very very hard to find.

Here is what I did.

I bought some 8 volt 250ma wedge lamps.
I cut the wire loop and straightened out the lead.
I removed the original lamps from the rubber piece.
I drilled (by hand) a hole in the rubber piece to accommodate the wedge lamps.
The two inner holes in the rubber piece are lost when this is done.
I fit the lamp in the rubber piece and put the leads in the post holes.
The leads go through the hole and bend over.
Installed them.

I did have to remove the heat sink screws to get a bit more room to fit the slightly bigger lamps into the assembly.

Below are a couple of pics of the finished product.

If anyone is interested, I will take some pics of the process.

100_3823.jpg

100_3824.jpg

Kenwood lamps dial lights receiver KR-9400 KR-9600

Rob

Last edited:
Because the wedge lamps are long, as apposed to the round stock lamps, and protrude farther into the lamp housing, I was concerned that the light would be uneven across the dial. It's not.

Thanks Dave.:yes:

Rob

Lets see the pics!

Nice job. Your description is clear, but I am still very interested in seeing the process photos!
If anyone is interested, I will take some pics of the process.

Would your technique work for the meter lamps? Or for the indicator lamps (am, fm, etc.)?

Nice job. Your description is clear, but I am still very interested in seeing the process photos!

Would your technique work for the meter lamps? Or for the indicator lamps (am, fm, etc.)?

I used LED's for the indicator lights. I scratched a trace on the board and soldered a resistor in place. The LED's I used show what value resistor to use for AC or DC.
I did have to sand down the ridge at the base of the LED's.

Here are some pics of the process. I am not including a pic of them installed because the receiver is back together, and I would have to remove the heat sink screws again to pull lamp assembly.

First is the stock lamp.
100_3825.jpg

Next is the new lamp next to the unmodified holder.
100_3826.jpg

Next is the bit I turned by hand. One must be careful here, as when the bit cuts through, it can tear the holder. Right as it started to cut through, I pulled the bit out and snipped out the rubber. The back in with the bit to make the hole big enough.
100_3827.jpg

Next is the holder with a new hole.
100_3830.jpg

Next is the wedge lamp inserted into the holder. The leads on the lamps I used were longer than seen here.
100_3828.jpg

And this is how it looked after I inserted the leads into the holes. They plug right back on to the posts.
100_3829.jpg

Rob

Thanks, worked for me!

I followed your advice on the KR6600 bulbs. I did not drill out the rubber,but probably should have. That said it works great!

As for the small source indicator bulbs. I read they are 8v 50 milliamp t1.75 grain of wheat bulbs. I can't find them so I am going to try out the leds....I will let you know how it goes.

Do you happen to have any pictures of the LED work by chance? Would love to see what you did.

Thanks for the post!

I really enjoy this old Kenwood. They really don't make them like this anymore.

-brian

Last edited:
The "grain of wheat" 8v 50ma bulbs are available at www.wjoe.com. Just bought a bunch of these to rebulb a few of my receivers. Let him know that you are an AK member and you'll get a 15% discount. Less than a buck a piece too!

Someone out there with some technical knowledge and Far East manufacturing connections should develop a universal florescent bar replacement for any and all old vintage receivers with adapters that would allow use in any model and a 20-25 or so year life span. Imagine how many problems and how 'easy' all this could be? Just a thought for those of us who are technically challenged.

cnh2

I followed your advice on the KR6600 bulbs. I did not drill out the rubber,but probably should have. That said it works great!
Do you happen to have any pictures of the LED work by chance? Would love to see what you did.

Thanks for the post!

-brian

Glad it helped.

I did not take pics of the LED installation.

Rob

I recently bought a 6600. It came with the owners manual and sales flyer. All the lights seemed to work as well, so far. Its a very nice looking receiver, this generation of Kenwood is probably their best in that regard.

How hard would it be to switch it to LED?

I havent done anything with it, its sitting in my garage. It needs deox-it badly. I really only bought it in case my Marantz 2270 went under the knife. Any thoughts on this receiver, in general?

Excellent tutorial on the bulb replacement. I realize this thread is old, but the pictures and directions are perfect. Brought my KR-6000 back to new!

Back
Top Bottom