Jbl 2241h

CH46E

Do you guys think the 18 inch JBL 2241H would make a good driver for a HT subwoofer? I ask because I see that their response range looks to be 30hz to 2K.

Is 30Hz low enough for HT use?

I see several on the bay that are rated as 8 ohms but has dcr reading in the 5 to 6 ohm range. Is this an indicator of abuse or pending failure or just that it may have been re-coned with a lower DCR coil?

Do you guys think the 18 inch JBL 2241H would make a good driver for a HT subwoofer? I ask because I see that their response range looks to be 30hz to 2K.

There are a lot of sub woofer that go that low and even lower! How do you plan to load this driver?

Is 30Hz low enough for HT use?

Yes- it can be, most music these days is typically mixed down to the low 50's- THX Rated 20hz!

I see several on the bay that are rated as 8 ohms but has dcr reading in the 5 to 6 ohm range. Is this an indicator of abuse or pending failure or just that it may have been re-coned with a lower DCR coil?

Typically any voice coil between 4.1~8 ohms will be rated as an 8ohm driver No indication of abuse- just the way the industry parts their hair.
DC

By loading I assume you mean what kind of box? Im open to what ever the driver needs to accomplish its job. I have a large area under the TV and I mean large that a subwoofer will be placed.

I'm looking to drive it with a plate amp from parts express. Either a 500 watt or 1,000 watt variant.

Looks like the 2241H has a 98db sensitivity.

Can you go ~24" x 24" x 48"? If so, that gets you more or less 12 ft^3 net and makes a nice stand for a 50"-60" range TV. Look for the "Marty Sub" thread over at AVS forum for some plans to build a 12 ft^3 box using 2x4 and 2x2 handy panels (pre-cut plywood) with a minimum amount of cutting involved. I built one for my brother loaded with a JBL 2245. Cheap and efficient.

Some HT nuts will insist the 2241 doesn't go low enough for HT use though they seem to be focused on getting below 20 Hz despite the challenges of doing so. A JBL 2245 will go deeper but has a lower max power rating. 300 watts into a 2245 in your living room is a couch-moving experience....600 into 2241 is yet more glorious overkill.

The PE plate amps are rated at 4 ohms so you will see about 250 or 500 watts into an 8 ohm driver. I have used the SPA1000 for about 12 years to drive a 2245 loaded B460 and have no complaints. The parametric EQ comes in handy to dial in the boost originally provided by the missing BX63 crossover.

Some reading from JBL regarding DIY subs based on the 2235 and 2245... http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/reference/technical/1983-subs.htm

Last edited:
Can you go ~24" x 24" x 48"? If so, that gets you more or less 12 ft^3 net and makes a nice stand for a 50"-60" range TV. Look for the "Marty Sub" thread over at AVS forum for some plans to build a 12 ft^3 box using 2x4 and 2x2 handy panels (pre-cut plywood) with a minimum amount of cutting involved. I built one for my brother loaded with a JBL 2245. Cheap and efficient.

Some HT nuts will insist the 2241 doesn't go low enough for HT use though they seem to be focused on getting below 20 Hz despite the challenges of doing so. A JBL 2245 will go deeper but has a lower max power rating. 300 watts into a 2245 in your living room is a couch-moving experience....600 into 2241 is yet more glorious overkill.

The PE plate amps are rated at 4 ohms so you will see about 250 or 500 watts into an 8 ohm driver. I have used the SPA1000 for about 12 years to drive a 2245 loaded B460 and have no complaints. The parametric EQ comes in handy to dial in the boost originally provided by the missing BX63 crossover.

Some reading from JBL regarding DIY subs based on the 2235 and 2245... http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/reference/technical/1983-subs.htm

Yes, I could do 24x24x48. My TV is wall mounted so the sub box would also be part of the center speaker stand. I was going to use some form of vibration isolation between the two. The JBL 2245 seems a little harder to find. I did find a local 2226hpl 15 inch sub. I think I will look around more for a 2245. As childish as it sounds I have always wanted an 18" sub.

I think the 2241 is rated for 25hz last time I saw. Don't know. I use a 4648 with 2 15" jbl 2226 drivers using a crown xls 2500 in mono/bridge driving them and they can seriously pound and take lot of abuse. If the bigger brother is anything like the 15's then it should work amazingly as a ht subwoofer with good power behind them.

I built a good one from the 2242 driver a while back. I don't see how the 2241 would be drastically different but I haven't compared the parameters.

Mine's tuned to 25 Hz.

902392_10151786978996076_614054278_o.jpg

1540384_10151786979336076_1061072500_o.jpg

The 2226 really isn't a subwoofer...Fs = 40 Hz. However, it is an awesome mid-bass driver and can take enough pounding around 40 Hz to serve as a "music" subwoofer since most music has little content <40 Hz (giant pipe organs and synths are obvious exceptions). It will rip your head off from 50 Hz and up but really is lacking below 30 Hz (though much depends on cabinet size/tuning and room gain). The 2241H has an Fs of 35 Hz, the 2245H Fs = 20 Hz, and the forgotten 2240H comes in at 30 Hz. The 2240H is the same frame as the 2245 but has a cloth surround. Another excellent choice for home use if you can find them reasonably priced.

For the record, crossing over from the 2226 (cabs tuned to 42 Hz) in my mains to the 2245 sub at 60 Hz is/was a fantastic combination.

Good luck!

I see the 2242H is a $1,000 driver new. That ain't gonna fly with the better half. I just picked up a new Onkyo TX-838 so.......

I was looking to spend around $600 for the whole shebang. Box (ie lumber for diy), driver and amp.

Nice job Ed I like your sub. But I have to ask, do you have to clear the table to use it? Or just turn it up and it clears itself? lol

I don't know if it matters or not but I plan to continue running my L80T's at full range. I did not want to cross them over.

Im still looking at either a single 18, 15 or two 12's. I want to make everything in the room JBL. So far the mains and center are done. Now, I also need/ want some in ceiling speakers for Atmos.

I'm pretty sure this hobby/obsession is more costly than all my others combined.

I see the 2242H is a $1,000 driver new. That ain't gonna fly with the better half. I just picked up a new Onkyo TX-838 so.......

I was looking to spend around $600 for the whole shebang. Box (ie lumber for diy), driver and amp.

Nice job Ed I like your sub. But I have to ask, do you have to clear the table to use it? Or just turn it up and it clears itself? lol

Thanks!

Ha ha. It's pretty heavy as I used 1" MDF so it doesn't quite clear itself.

I was lucky and found two 2242s in mint shape but used for $600 which puts my project well under your budget all in. The box is basically a copy of the JBL 4645C theatre sub and is around 9 cubic feet.

These drivers are very common in JBL Pro subs for theatre and sound re-inforcement cabinets. That may be a way to get some cheap if you're checking classifieds.

Good luck,

Warren

I saw that ad too. That basterd got my hopes up when he posted it in Jacksonville CL. Then I saw they are in Cape Coral. Kinda lose some of the good deal when you have to drive 5 hours one way for something :(

Same exact thing here. I saw it in Jacksonville. Would have been a nice drive up the coast anyways.

Does anyone know what the 1800GTI car sub was equivalent to? I had a pair of 1200GTI's back in the day and loved them. Sure wish I had kept them. Their basckets/frames look to similar to many of their home and pro woofers.

Do you think the JBL's are a better choice than the Dayton Audio subs for this project?

The GTI1800 is a 2241 basket and motor assembly including spider but it has a copper voice coil like the 2240. The dust cap and cone is different, it is slightly heavier and weather proofed.

Back to the original post, I have some JBL dual 18 theater subs that are 24"D X 30"W X 48"H that are JBL tuned to 25 Hz. I think the ones with 2242's are 4759's? And their identical twins that lay down with 2241's have a different number. I like the sound of the 2242's better.

Oh, as far as that response to 2kHz goes? They stop sounding good before 300 Hz. I never use them past 250Hz.

I can measure the them up if you want to go with a box like them. They would be easy to build.

All the best,
Barry.

I saw that ad too. That basterd got my hopes up when he posted it in Jacksonville CL. Then I saw they are in Cape Coral. Kinda lose some of the good deal when you have to drive 5 hours one way for something :(

You could think of it as 5 hours you won't spend building a cabinet or two. Looks like crappy weather across central Florida so what else are you going to do today?

You could think of it as 5 hours you won't spend building a cabinet or two. Looks like crappy weather across central Florida so what else are you going to do today?

Remember its 5 hours ONE way. I have a ton of extra plywood right now and wouldn't mind building a cab or 5 :)
Im selling some large advents and buying a new (to me) road bike on this gloomy florida day

I built a good one from the 2242 driver a while back. I don't see how the 2241 would be drastically different but I haven't compared the parameters.

Mine's tuned to 25 Hz.

902392_10151786978996076_614054278_o.jpg

1540384_10151786979336076_1061072500_o.jpg

That looks really nice. Have you ever accidentally rattled a drink off the coffee table? :)

Well I didn't end up putting it in the middle of the room as shown. Hiding cable into the middle of the room was not feasable.

It now resides on a side wall and holds up various decorative items that the wife put on it so no spilled drinks yet.

Thanks,

Warren

Back
Top Bottom