Dial Cord for Vintage Radios

transmaster

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I have a L600 Trans-Oceanic coming next Wednesday and I know the dial cord on it is busted. I usually use braided fishing line to replace dial cords. There is an incredible amount of information about the tube type Trans-Oceanic radios among it is the spec's on the original dial cord. It's diameter is .028 of an inch. The braided fishing line that is closest is 50 pound test which is .017 depending on the brand. I did find another source, 150 pound test Dacron Kite string is .028 the problem is it comes in minimum spoil lengths 500 feet, Do you have any hardcore kite fliers for friends? Use either braided fishing line or kite string you will never have to worry about the dial cord ever breaking again.

Last edited:
I have a L600 Trans-Oceanic coming next Wednesday and I know the dial cord on it is busted. I usually use braided fishing line to replace dial cords. There is an incredible amount of information about the tube type Trans-Oceanic radios among it is the spec's on the original dial cord. It's diameter is .028 of an inch. The braided fishing line that is closest 50 pound test which is .017 depending on the brand. I did find another source, 150 pound test Dacron Kite string is .028 the problem is it comes in minimum spoil lengths 500 feet, Do you have any hardcore kite fliers for friends? Use either braided fishing line or kite string you will never have to worry about the dial cord ever breaking again.

I used to have a bunch of dacron cord for suspending outdoor wire antennas. The idea was that dacron doesn't stretch. Got it along with huge treble hooks (for snagging treetop branches) and huge lead sinkers (for keeping antenna tight with pulley) at some marina in Port Huron. Different gauge though. Could you cannibalize another cheap table radio to get equivalent string?

I used to have a bunch of dacron cord for suspending outdoor wire antennas. The idea was that dacron doesn't stretch. Got it along with huge treble hooks (for snagging treetop branches) and huge lead sinkers (for keeping antenna tight with pulley) at some marina in Port Huron. Different gauge though. Could you cannibalize another cheap table radio to get equivalent string?

No the string would be just as old. There is no problem getting the correct Dial cord, being a fisherman I always had braided bait casting line in the tackle box and just used that. It works very well. One thing I always do when I install new dial cord is I use the rosin that is used on Violin bows it is sold block that you just run the cord over it prevents slippage you can get it at any music store and one block lasts so long that it will be in your estate sale.

Back
Top Bottom