Tuners?

Pioneer SX3900.....bought it new (@ wholesale for $375 straight off the docks...lucky me @ the time w/my Pacific Stereo connections.. hehe) back in '80 & it's still kicking strong....albeit its' had 1 tune-up approx 10 yrs ago for no reason other than to ensure it continues on for another coupla decades...which I'm quite confident it will. I've had 2 JBL 65's (the glass tops w/the 12' woofs) which have done me just fine for over 3 decades now. Tho I sure wish the Pioneer would run the JBL's thru the 50' Samsung DLP....tphhfftt!! Then again, I suppose it finally puts me back in the receiver mrkt for the 1st time in 30+ yrs.

pulled the trigger on a new (albeit a 2012) Pioneer SC 1222.....couldn't resist $475 out the door....Pioneer lists it for $1,100 so I'm not feel'n too bad...well except for the fact the store manager (Video Only in Dublin CA) swore up & down it was a 2013.....for which I was suspect of....but even still...@ fairly close to cost I suppose I shouldn't be complainen.....2 yr warranty, D3 amplification & seemingly so many bells 'n whistles that I could probabally learn to fly a plane quicker than figure this bad boy out....which of course is still in the box.

I still need to get my speaker situation all taken care off....re-foaming the cones on the JBl L65's & also waiting on Polk Audio to send back my sub which they're re-attaching the spider for me. It's a PSW 300 sub where evidently the spiders tend to come loose over time making a nasty sound as if the sub's cone is cracked....but thankfully it's not...it's just that the spider has come detatached. After contacting Polk (1st signing into their forum & learning more) they're fixing these for free for everyone....I'm just payin for the shipping out to MD from CA while they're paying for the return.....good deal. FWIW I've found Polk Audio to have awesome tech & customer support....& I'm not even the original owner either which they know. It was a hand me down from my sister.....the sub & PA Sat II series....2 front, 2 rear & the center....too bad they're only 2 way'ers...oh well....beggars can't be choosers. The PA set fell into her lap via divorce....so lucky me I guess...also in that she could care less w/re to all things high fidelity unlike my x bro in law. So the Sub I suppose is def worth the effort..PA tells me it was $300 sub approx 7 yrs ago..not so sure about the Series II Sat speakers (5) tho....those are 2 ways.....can't figure out y he'd spend the dough on a decent Sub only to take a strange/cheap route on goin down the 2 way street? Def gonna have ta find me some decent 3 ways instead....oh well....1/2 the fun is searchin for a killer deal....like I was able to get on the Pioneer SC 1222. So the process continues.....cones to be dropped off w/the local JBL tech in Berkeley later this afternoon to be refoamed....he's chargin me $100 for both.....I figure may as well have a pro do it.....who can also run'em thru proper JBL daignostics which I surely couldn't do on my own from home.

OK.....any suggs out there for some decent big soudnin mini 3 ways? Lookin for 2 front, 2 rear & of course a center. Cheers!!

I am searching for a good tuner to replace my retired SABA 9240. I can get a Kenwood kt-7500 for about 100$. Is it worth it?

I am searching for a good tuner to replace my retired SABA 9240. I can get a Kenwood kt-7500 for about 100$. Is it worth it?
excellent reception, lousy sound, w/o a complete mod upgrade. and, patience will get a nice kt7500 for ~$50... for $100, you can do far better for sonics, imo...

doug s.

True, but where I live the price for this kind of electronics is really high. Oh well I guess I will wait for a bargain to show up.

True, but where I live the price for this kind of electronics is really high. Oh well I guess I will wait for a bargain to show up.
keep your eyes peeled for a sansui tu517 (same as 717 but usually less $$$); jvc fx1100bk, nikko gamma 1, to name a few.

this guy has a few f/s (if not already sold); i particularly recommend the philips:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/FMtuners/conversations/messages/79319

if you don't have reception issues, the tubed sherwoods sound fantastic - either w/built-in stereo, or more modern outboard mpx decoders...

doug s.

I live on the other side of the world in an ex communist country and "capitalistic" hifi gear is scarce so it is no use to recommend sellers. The recommended gear seems awesome but sadly I don't think I will get to find one of those (damn you iron curtain!)

Also I have a big problem with the reception. I seem to be living in a black hole a couple of km wide where the FM reception is really really bad. In my house I can't get FM without a huge aerial.

Can you look over the tuners from this site?http://www.power-zone.ro/magazin/11-tunere It is the only trustworthy supplyer from my area.

thanks

I live on the other side of the world in an ex communist country and "capitalistic" hifi gear is scarce so it is no use to recommend sellers. The recommended gear seems awesome but sadly I don't think I will get to find one of those (damn you iron curtain!)

Also I have a big problem with the reception. I seem to be living in a black hole a couple of km wide where the FM reception is really really bad. In my house I can't get FM without a huge aerial.

Can you look over the tuners from this site?http://www.power-zone.ro/magazin/11-tunere It is the only trustworthy supplyer from my area.

thanks
if you are in europe, and don't want to spend a fortune, look for a philips ah-186 or a uher eg-751. i am sure there are others; these are two i have 1st hand experience with. (i have heard the eg750 is also good.) the uher eg751 will be better w/reception than the philips ah-186. i bought my eg751 from ebay.de when i was stationed in latvia for a year. ;)

also, the akai at-93 is supposed to be a killer tuna, both for sound and reception; they seem to go for ~$250-$300. easier to find in europe than n america. and there is an ebay seller in poland that has a few revox a76's for under $300usd; not sure how good the are for reception, but they're supposed to sound great.

i am not familiar w/the ones posted at that store. ($100 for a kt7500 in romania doesn't sound overpriced, btw. i just think they sound mediocre.) ask about those, and other good euro tuna here, and you may get more info:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/FMtuners/info

best,

doug s.

Thanks for the advice and gear suggestions. I managed to find a revox a76 for about 250$. Really expensive for my pocket since I earn a little over 240$ a month. I will keep watching the auction sites maybe I score something good and cheap:D. Too bad that the old SABA died. It had fantastic reception and quadro outputs:yes:

Thanks for the advice and gear suggestions. I managed to find a revox a76 for about 250$. Really expensive for my pocket since I earn a little over 240$ a month. I will keep watching the auction sites maybe I score something good and cheap:D. Too bad that the old SABA died. It had fantastic reception and quadro outputs:yes:

i never heard the saba you owned, but i did have a saba ts-2000 at one point. quite a nice tuna, imo.

if you are patient, you will find something decent. the uher eg751 i bought cost me $140usd, which included shipping from germany to latvia...

best,

doug s.

fyi:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301136774064
c140141-akai-180214-cro1.jpg

doug s.

So if you are in need of a tuner, who will do the amplifying job as the SABA is a receiver?
I have some of these SABA models - 9240 and 9241. At least one should be ok. I also have an Onkyo T-9 and a Sony ST-4950. Technically fine and both are fantastic tuners. The Sony has a few scratches on the front. If you are interested, give me a PM. Are you living in Romania?

@aileenamegan

Yes I live in Romania. The amplifier is in my signature H/K PM655. I used the SABA as a stand-alone piece of gear, but there would be no problem in using the tuner on the amp. To the PM!

Current tuners:

H/K 18 (2) one co-modded by PunkerX and Joseph Chow, the other I just replaced(upgraded) all electrolytic caps with Elna Silmic II.( I need to send off for an alignment)

Philips AH-673-- just recently replaced all electrolytics. I need to send this off for more tweaking and an alignment. Just with upgraded e-caps, this tuner is amazingly musical with impressive timbre of instruments.

Mitsubishi DA F10, currently. Seems to work fine since I bought it new (1987? '88?.. time does go by), except for replacing a meter lamp last year.

Just bought a Sony ST-SA5ES from German eBay. It's similar to my first 'proper' tuner, which was an ST-SA3ES but this one is heavier and has better audio specs than the SA3. Apparently it has also been adjusted for minimum distortion. It has full RDS features including the ability to display PI codes which is very useful for DXing. I will post my thoughts on it when it arrives.

I do know that these Euro versions are a different animal to the version sold in the US - the US version looked more like the ST-S770ES tuner that I had for a while last year.

Regards,
Nick

Fave: Dynaco FM-3, aligned by a pro for Japanese band width, and my own discrete PEC boards.... but it's been in pieces for five years for rewiring and new PS filters. I never seem to get back to it.

Right now online: — only a Pioneer TX 8800II. I had to thin out my pile.

I just won a Kenwood L-1000T on eBay this morning. I'll report my thoughts on it on this board when it arrives.

Regards,
Nick

Back
Top Bottom