antenna choices for home audio

idighwolf

I have recently been building a component set up for both my home and my office. as such, I have come across a few stand-alone tuners that I have picked up relatively cheaply. I was wondering if anyone has a link to a particularly good site that explains antennas. I have seen on the back of several of the juniors and on integrated tuner combinationsterminals for 300 ohm and 75 ohm connections.I work on the fourth floor of an old brick warehouse and my stations are relatively sketchy. I remember back in college that I took a one conductor wire connected it to the antenna terminal of my integrated thumb tacked it to the wall.

just wondering if there is a good link to a site that explains how to set up an indoor antenna for best reception

Here's my favorite site. I like their wideband vertical omni design, though I build it to hang on a wall. I wish I could say that fussy receiving antenna design is rewarded with significant signal improvements, but it's really all about location. In a good spot, a length of wire or an old bedspring will work fine. In a bad spot, the best antenna in the world may not help. Getting the length of a 1/4 wave dipole right to within 2" may not even be detectable.

Last edited:
In addition to the info on types of antennas, it became apparent to me that some tuners like dipoles, some like amplified (powered) antennas. Seems odd but that's what I found out using different tuners from different decades.

If a tuner likes an amplified antenna, its 1. got a problem, or 2. Not worth owning...

If a tuner likes an amplified antenna, its 1. got a problem, or 2. Not worth owning...
May I clarify, if the antenna is a short distance from the tuner input then the above is true, but
if the antenna is mounted far away, say 75-100 feet, such as being mounted on a 40-50' tower, then a small amount of amplification will make up for transmission line attenuation, for which, no tuner can make up for.
BTW, the old 300 ohm balanced line has less attenuation than a 75 coax cable. Suggest to only use the coax if you are in a area of high signal strength(strong interference) or you have an mast amp that makes up for the cable (transmission line) attenuation.
I have excellent results with a old deep fringe LPA antenna, a mast amp, rotor and 300 ohm balance line. I also have a distribution amp in the house to spread the signal into a few rooms in the house.

Back
Top Bottom