seeking THIN analog, weighted dial tuner...

tmanwell

Hi guys…

Ok, we all have 'our thing,' right??
For me it's that 70s analog tuner look with the soft glow lighted dial and the knob that's weighted & you can grab it & give it a spin…
So, that describes 90% of the tuners of the era…

Now, here's the wrinkle…
I'm looking for the THINNEST (in height) rendition of the above. Reason being I'm looking to pair a retro tuner with a Bryston B60 integrated amp… which as you may know is uber thin.
Any suggestions come to mind that fits the above description????

Thanks!

T

Yamaha T- 2

imagemagic.php

The T-2 doesn't have a properly weighted tuning knob - you have to keep turning it to go up & down the dial. It does have the form factor you're looking for though as well as superb performance.

The Pioneer F-26 does indeed cover all your needs but as the previous poster said, they are very rare and consequently when they do turn up on eBay, go for top-dollar (up to $3000 IIRC).

Regards,
Nick

AGH!!! You beat me to the T-2! However, it never had that massive flywheel like spin of the dial. I had a T-1 that had a better feel, though the T-2 is the better tuner.

You guys are awesome!
So, as a total newb to Yamaha tuners, what makes the T2 better than the T1?
For my needs, I only require tuning in local strong FM stations---no need to pull in things from Mars,... so, silly as it may sound, if the T1 has more of the *feel I'm looking for in the dial, would it be safe to say that the T1 is more for me?

T.

You guys are awesome!
For my needs, I only require tuning in local strong FM stations---no need to pull in things from Mars,... so, silly as it may sound, if the T1 has more of the *feel I'm looking for in the dial, would it be safe to say that the T1 is more for me?

T.

The T-2 is a somewhat better tuner. Click on the site below for info. The T-1 is a very good tuner, though SLIGHTLY thicker and less expensive. The T-1 I owned and loved. The look and feel are great, and so is the performance. Check out the siblings together. Notice the bigger tuning knob of the T-1 which also tunes am radio (T-2 is FM only):

T-1T-2un_zps2a7b47cc.jpg

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=VKQuFcOq_ls04xsiMQH9ZA&bvm=bv.58187178,d.cWc

The Nakamichi 430 is definitely worth considering as well. It's supposed to be up there with the best after mods and is no slouch stock (pics from TIC):

Nak430.jpg

I think I read somewhere it was designed by the same engineer as the Yamaha T-2, but I don't know how reliable that info is. I don't know if the tuning knob is weighted as I haven't tried one myself.

Regards,
Nick

Not thin, mounted either vertically or as a wedge is the tuner (section) of the Nakamichi 630. This unit has an AMAZING feeling tuning knob, and a glowing rotary dial. This one is mine:

20131213_123512_zps06de3d79.jpg

You guys are awesome!

T.

Oh, I was also wondering about more esoteric brands like Tandberg, Grundig, etc. Do you guys know if any of those (and others?) would fit the bill?

T

Oh, I was also wondering about more esoteric brands like Tandberg, Grundig, etc. Do you guys know if any of those (and others?) would fit the bill?

T

Tandberg among others made VERY nice, thin tuners ($$$$$$). Can't vouch for the feel of the tuner / flywheel thing though. In my case, limited access and / or too many years gone by. Back to that T-1 though, I seriously doubt you'd be disappointed, especially for your requirements.

Code:
JVC made a series of very thin PLL tuners with internal HP optical coupling circa 1985. I have one it I purchased new in 1986 or so, The one I have is a JVC T-X200 FM/AM Quartz Synthesizer Stereo Tuner they made a whole series of them they are very thin. These are very,very good tuners and there happens to be a number of the on ebay currently and they are cheap.

$(KGrHqVHJCMFBrYq0WiOBQbddyeScQ~~60_35.JPG

Last edited:
Code:
JVC made a series of very thin PLL tuners with internal HP optical coupling circa 1985. I have one it I purchased new in 1986 or so, The one I have is a JVC T-X200 FM/AM Quartz Synthesizer Stereo Tuner they made a whole series of them they are very thin. These are very,very good tuners and there happens to be a number of the on ebay currently and they are cheap.

$(KGrHqVHJCMFBrYq0WiOBQbddyeScQ~~60_35.JPG

The OP is looking for an analog tuner with a heavy flywheel feeling tuning knob.

I'e owned the Sanyo T35 Plus and thought it a goodie.

Attachments

• PlusT35.jpg
    PlusT35.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 53
Back
Top Bottom