Got a real nice FM tuner? Put up a good antenna!

DC

"Manhattan Boy"
Subscriber
A posting in a recent thread (the "overrated McIntosh tuners?" thread, see post #93) alerted me to a small FM Yagi antenna for an unbelievably good price. I've been meaning to deploy a decent antenna and this seemed like the appropriate impetus. Besides, when I get my McIntosh MR-74 back from the PunkerX clinic, it would be nice to be able to take full advantage if its prowess. :music:

The antenna arrived on Monday. I got a 3' tripod at Radio Shack and a rotator at Lowe's (see below). The mast pipes, feedline, and rotor control cable I had on hand from previous projects.

After a few hours of not-too-difficult work:
DSCN1205_zps7daa7b1c.jpg

RCA VH126N rotator/controller:
IMG_3946_zpsfdff1656.jpg

This system is branded under several names (Philips, RCA, etc.) and gets really bad reviews all over the web. But there are practically zero alternatives for inexpensive antenna rotators and I figured there had to be some redeeming value. I also read enough of the reviews to be able to come to the conclusion that the unit itself may not be terrible, but that the manual lists the initialization and calibration steps in the wrong order which results in a bound-up rotator that won't turn for most users. I considered ordering one from Amazon (best price was about $76 and a user-friendly return policy if it turned out to be a real turd) but it just so happened that I was in Lowe's today for something else and noticed one on clearance sale for $61 - too good not to take a chance! :thmbsp:

I hooked it up in the workshop and discovered immediately that most of the complaints were completely true. However, I was able to convince it to turn and was able to manually re-calibrate it. Provided that you don't press the "initialize" button, which engages the idiotic calibration procedure that doesn't work and tends to render the rotator inoperable, all should be good. I hope.

Now, as a different thread suggests, I hope my tuner doesn't soon befall the fate of the typewriter ...

I want/need a 40-50' Mast, to mount my big Winegard atop.. This area is FM DXer's HEAVEN... But I can find NO ONE to beg, buy, rent, or STEAL from..

I wish I still had my Ham ll rotor. I loved how you could hear the brakes engage from inside the house. I did loose a nice antenna mounted on it though. A real strong wind tore it off the top. Since the rotor had a brake it didn't move so the antenna did, a lot. :D

A posting in a recent thread (the "overrated McIntosh tuners?" thread, see post #93) alerted me to a small FM Yagi antenna for an unbelievably good price. I've been meaning to deploy a decent antenna and this seemed like the appropriate impetus. Besides, when I get my McIntosh MR-74 back from the PunkerX clinic, it would be nice to be able to take full advantage if its prowess. :music:

The antenna arrived on Monday. I got a 3' tripod at Radio Shack and a rotator at Lowe's (see below)...

This system is branded under several names (Philips, RCA, etc.) and gets really bad reviews all over the web. But there are practically zero alternatives for inexpensive antenna rotators and I figured there had to be some redeeming value. I also read enough of the reviews to be able to come to the conclusion that the unit itself may not be terrible, but that the manual lists the initialization and calibration steps in the wrong order which results in a bound-up rotator that won't turn for most users. I considered ordering one from Amazon (best price was about $76 and a user-friendly return policy if it turned out to be a real turd) but it just so happened that I was in Lowe's today for something else and noticed one on clearance sale for $61 - too good not to take a chance! :thmbsp:

I hooked it up in the workshop and discovered immediately that most of the complaints were completely true. However, I was able to convince it to turn and was able to manually re-calibrate it. Provided that you don't press the "initialize" button, which engages the idiotic calibration procedure that doesn't work and tends to render the rotator inoperable, all should be good. I hope.

If you do have trouble with the controller, Channel Master makes a nice one. I've been using it for almost ten years with zero glitches.

Thanks for the link! I'll keep that in mind if this one gives up the ghost.

I've been doing some listening tonight (can hardly be called DXing with this little antenna at 35') and it seems to do its job well. I have just been using the < and > manual rotation controllers with no problems. Numerous stations that have been weak to OK-at-best can now be peaked for full quieting (or near-full on a few fringe stations) with ease - Lansing to Flint to Detroit to Toledo and everything in between, which was basically my overall goal. (And to get the darn rabbit-ears off the top of my preamp! :D)

On my second Channel Master. The first one I got about 10 years ago. Wasn't very strong, would turn the antenna quite a bit in the wind. Then after about 5 years, got moisture in it. When it got really cold out, it wouldn't move until the sun warmed it up. In the winter it made it unusable for weeks on end. Left it at the old house. Replaced it with pretty much the same thing, because unless you want to pay hundreds of dollars for a HAM unit, there is not a lot out there. No problems yet and it seems to be a stronger unit. Haven't had to do a Sync since it was installed.

First one I also had to change a blown cap in the controller once and blew out the wall wart once with a close lighting strike.

Finally changed my old rotor to a channel master as well, almost one year old now, seems to be working okay.
If anyone is interested, I did a reverse engineering on the controller pcb and figured out the NEC IR remote codes.
I have in the plans to have my radio controller replace the Channel Master controller, a cost reduction and automatic station/antenna tuning feature that I never have seen anyone else do in a receiver design.

Quick update: Today I got the cables dressed along the outside and fed through the wall. I routed them in behind the radiator to stay out of sight.

More or less finished! :thmbsp:

IMG_3958_zpsc1e16e78.jpg

IMG_3955_zps840a98ca.jpg

I'm using a Channel Master antenna that is 21 years old. Preamp is in the lower level. It's performance is fantastic to this day.

Two words: Homeowners association.

First world problems.

Glenn:

If you are referring to HOAs interfering w/ antenna installations, they cannot interfere w/ installing TV antennas.

If I were putting up any type of antenna on MY roof you can bet it would be for TV reception.....:naughty:

http://www.neighborhoodlink.com/article/Association/FCC_Satellite_Antenna_Regulations

OTARD Rule Prohibitions
The OTARD rule prohibits entities, such as community associations, from creating restrictions that impair the installation, maintenance or use of antennas used to receive video programming. ....... The rule does not apply to antennas for AM/FM radio, amateur HAM radio or Internet.

Great thread!

When I lived in New York many many many many moons ago, I had a big azz Radio Shack antenna in the attic on a rotor with a pre-amp. I used to pull stations from 150 miles or more. What a cornucopia of great FM listening. Then my cable company offered an FM Tap and I jumped on that. Big mistake. Yes, every station was 100 percent, but you only got what THEY piped in to the frequency spectrum for you. Like 25 stations. That was it. Went back to the Attic Antenna for every day listening, and the FM Tap for Simulcast for MTV and other Simulcasting venues.

Those were the days. I miss when life was simple, you had FM for your Stereo and were happy with that, because that's all there was.

One way to make inexpensive antenna rotators last longer is to relieve vertical and shear stress on the rotator with a thrust bearing...they don't cost all that much, and make an installation last a lot better...

Look down on this page and see how they install and work.

I considered that (I've installed thrust bearings on tower-mounted arrays) but this antenna weighs about 2 lbs. and has about 1 sq. ft. windload. I'm not losing sleep over the stress on the rotator. :D

DC - you'd better fix that chimney!

The missing brick? The (passel of idiots) roofers did that about ten years ago during a tear-off re-roof. It's annoyed me, but I've never found a spot elsewhere on the house I can steal a matching brick. And since it's 85 years old, exact replacements have been hard to come by. Again, I'm not losing sleep over it. :D

Back
Top Bottom