I have My Zenith Trans-Oceanic Royal 7000-Y

transmaster

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
A very nice radio functions well does have the expected noisy switches, but not to bad, and the on/off volume has a slightly snappish on/off action. I have plenty of Caig DeOxit to deal with it. The band switch is just a little snappish, again not bad and does not effect its function. There is no noise from the tuning capacitor. Reception seemed fine, a lot of QRN tonight so HF was trashed with only a few unidentified SW station heard. This being the first model Royal 7000 has the rockbound National Weather Service channel at 162.550. Cheyenne has one of the very early stations WXM37 which broadcasts on the original assigned frequency.

I am amazed at how good the speaker still is. The telescopic antenna is in good shape and straight but was hard to deploy. Here is a trick I learned along time ago. Hoppie's No 9, mixed with a good gun oil put a tiny amount on a cotton ball carefully pull out the antenna section by section while scrubbing the antenna rod with the cotton ball. This cleans the dirt, any corrosion and lubricates it. Today I used Silver Bullet Gun Oil which is a combination such as I mentioned above. SBGO contains pork lard as a lubricant, pork lard, and beef tallow being an natural fat has an extremely low dielectric strength so not only does it free up the sections it has little effect on the conductivity of the antenna. Except for it's cost you could do this with Caig Deoxit.

Once I go through it with canned air and Deoxit it the minor issues will be history. I do have the original AC power cord in is in rather sad shape I'll use some heat shrink tube to "repair the area just behind the input to the radio, however I have no intention of ever using AC mains on this radio it is going to stay on battery power.

The Radio it self has a history that is interesting to speculate on. There is a very small amount of rock-wool insulation I blew out of it innards which tells me it was stuck in someone addict for a time. It has tiny white paint spots which give me the vision of this radio sitting outside playing why people painting a house. All in all this radio is going to clean up very nice.

I have request the rig is missing the four flat head screws that hold the bottom panel on. If they are like the rest of the screws on the radio they are copper plated. Anyone with one of these 7000's I would appreciate size. length. and thread type. I can get the screws I just need spec's on them. If you do have a ready source of them I would love to hear it. :yes:

I'll have some pictures of it shortly. :yes:

Thanks for the bump. I the radio died the next day I suspect a bad transistor I have one, the driver, that is so loose in the socket that it is a wonder it has not fallen out. all of them are easy to get so I will make a list of them and replace all of them, we are talking about a $1.00 each.

Back
Top Bottom