Need help with picking up a name

hbd85

Hi everyone. I need help with picking up a solid state stuff which play rock and metal music. I am a little bit confused with tons of brand name. I own a pair of Cerwin Vega speakers ( 8ohms; 92db/1w/1m) dated 1986 which work with a Marantz single ended amp. I just want to have a new amp and don't really know which brand name to pick.
Should I pick powerful US amps by Bob Carver in the late 80s or another Harman Kardon amp (like hk6650r)?
or Should I pick a British amp like Cyrus or Cambridge or Musical Fidelity or Audiolab?

Please help. Many thanks

Hi Hbd85, I haven't got an answer for your question but I have been to Hanoi a couple of times in the last 4 years and saw an awesome vintage audio store in a street which runs somewhere parallel around behind the Mausoleum.
I come across it on one of my long walks around the area.
Also a couple of other smaller ones around the old quarter

Hello there. There are plenty vintage audio shops in Hanoi. The price ranges are also variable. Most of there stuff come to Vietnam through Cambodia and China. The only problem here is our people's music taste. They don't like rock or metal or classical. That fact does affect what type of amp the merchants import.

Just get any amplifier that puts out maybe 50 watts per channel or greater.

Or are you hoping to find something vintage and authentic, of the same age as the speakers and perhaps an amp that was commonly used with those Cerwin Vegas?

Pioneer, Kenwood, Sansui and Marantz might work for that.

The only problem here is our people's music taste. They don't like rock or metal or classical. That fact does affect what type of amp the merchants import.

Oh! So people in Vietnam must really enjoy reggae! Cerwin Vegas will do reggae nicely.

Thank you jeheu02 & HTWillie. Actually, my current amp already run like these:
70W+70W (4ohms)
60W+60W (6ohms)
50W+50W (8ohms)
IMO, Pioneer, Kenwood, Sansui and Marantz are Japanese brand name. I have some Japanese friends. I know their philosophy. Their music taste is slow, moody, catchy music. It's somewhat that blends folk, country and pop.
About my Cerwin Vegas, they were made to play rock/metal. The release date was 1986, the same year with that classic Master of puppets by Metalica. Some told me to pick American amp for power or British amp for clarity. I actually have no idea.
Pleas help me with naming some decent amp from that 80s era made by the US or the UK, pls.

Back
Top Bottom