Rotel RA-1570 vs Yamaha A-S2000

Freditor

So I recently (a couple of months back) purchased a Rotel RA-1570 in combination with a RCD-1570 and RDG-1520. I have them paired with B&W CDM7 NT's. Overall, I'm really happy with my purchase (though maybe I was expecting just a little bit more).

I recently started picking up SA-CD's (from mobile fidelity). They're hybrids so they can be played on regular CD-players as well, I mainly bought them for the SA-CD layer though.
I was under the impression that the Rotel RCD-1570 was a SA-CD player (given the price), turns out that's not the case (yeah, I should have done better research).

My question: would the Yamaha A-S2000 in combination with the CD-S2000 have been a better option?

You really have to listen to the Yamaha's yourself to make that conclusion.

I'm asking this for people who have experience with both... isn't that the point of all these [fill in random amp] vs [fill in random amp] topics? I'm asking for opinions.

Edit: I'd also like to throw in the Yamaha A-S2100... anyone had any experience with that one? I've read some reviews on the S2000 and they seemed... mixed.

Last edited:
So there's no one here that has any kind of experience with any of these amps?

Guess I'll have to take my question elsewhere.

I'm asking this for people who have experience with both... isn't that the point of all these [fill in random amp] vs [fill in random amp] topics? I'm asking for opinions.

Edit: I'd also like to throw in the Yamaha A-S2100... anyone had any experience with that one? I've read some reviews on the S2000 and they seemed... mixed.
The A-S2100 is a big step up from the other gear you've mentioned. Hope you have an opportunity to listen to one. Yamaha's current audio gear is well regarded top to bottom.

The A-S2100 is a big step up from the other gear you've mentioned. Hope you have an opportunity to listen to one. Yamaha's current audio gear is well regarded top to bottom.

Thanks. What about the A-S2000? I'm guessing that's more of a sidegrade?

I think I'll save up for the S2100 setup. I'm guessing the S2000 isn't enough of an upgrade to justify a purchase (since I only bought the Rotel a couple of months ago).

I'll have to sell my current setup though, will only do it if I can get a decent price for it.

I'll have a chance to audition the S2100 with my own speakers in March! Will even be able to compare it with the Rotel I have now (they have that one available for listening as well).

I'd love to hear anyone's feedback on this amp in the meantime! The guy from the store told me it would be a pretty big upgrade from the Rotel (they're very honest with their information).

I think I'll save up for the S2100 setup. I'm guessing the S2000 isn't enough of an upgrade to justify a purchase (since I only bought the Rotel a couple of months ago).

I'll have to sell my current setup though, will only do it if I can get a decent price for it.
I think you're making the right decision. The A-S2100 is an impressive piece.

Read some more reviews/tests/articles on it, seems like a damn fine amp!
Getting curious to hear how much better/different it sounds compared to my Rotel.

Wish I hadn't bought my current setup though :-(

Not yet, still considering it though. But it won't be an option until I can sell my current set-up for a decent price.

Hey Freditor,
You might consider selling the Rotel CD player and buying a Marantz or OPPO SACD player and keeping the Rotel integrated. I have an OPPO BDP-95 and it would take something special for me to replace it.

I think you're right...I also owned the A-S2000 a while back and the 2100 is LEAPS better. I would save for the 2100.

Had the chance to test them over the weekend. Sounded good... really good!

Had a chance to compare it to the Rotel. Definitely a warmer, more natural sound (what I like). Not a HUGE difference but substantial enough to upgrade.
Problem is: I heard it on B&W 683's (closest they had to the CDM series). Don't know how it will sound om my B&W CDM7 NT's.

But I'm very tempted to buy them... if I can get rid of my Rotel setup for a decent price.

Last edited:
crouse, have you experience with the Rotel RCD-1570V or are you just very pleased with your Oppo?

I ask because the RCD-1570 is highly regarded and my own experience has demonstrated the sound quality is of a very high caliber.

Many folks believe the superior sound quality from the RCD-1570 is due to Rotel going to great lengths to ensure the best possible sound quality for HDCD's, which subsequently provides excellent reproduction of conventional cd's as well.

I believed most cd players sounded the same. I pretty much used Sony or Denon players but when I listened to the RCD-1570 I was amazed at the detail and musical qualities over the other transports I've had.

I have the Rotel RCD-1570 and it would take something very special for me to replace it. :thmbsp:

Does anyone know if the Yamaha CD-S2100 supports HDCD decoding?

Have quite a few HDCD's (the later Neil Young albums come to mind) and would be a shame if that wasn't the case.

Back
Top Bottom