Help with these type connections, JBL Urei 6260

nesbuddha66

Please take a look at the attatched pic and help me understand how I would connect this amplifier to my pre-amp.

Noob question, but I have just never seen or had one of these

Thanks and please throw me a bone

Attachments

• $_12.JPG
    $_12.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 97
looks like a choice of either xlr or jack ..not sure if they will be balanced or not . check the manual .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XLR_connector

and here is a picture ..
330px-Xlr-connectors.jpg

I use the 1/4'' phono input with an rca adaptor on my Urei 6230. I see no reason why it shouldn't easily handle the stacked advents.

As far as I can tell (and the manual says) you have 3 choices for input connections: XLR, 1/4", or bare wire to barrier strip.

If your handy with a soldering iron, remove the amp end RCA's from the interconnect you use between your pre-amp and amp. Get a decent (Nuetrik or Switchcraft) 1/4" plug and solder it on where the amp end RCA was. Make sure that you have continuity from the RCA pin to the 1/4" tip and from the RCA ring to the 1/4" sleeve. Then just plug your cable into the 1/4" inputs on the JB:/Urei. OR, you could just attach the bare wires from your interconnect (after removing the RCA) at the amp end to the barrier strip. Hook up the wire that corresponds with the RCA tip to the + and the RCA ring to the - terminal. Check the manual on the JBL/Urei, but you will probably also need to jumper between the (-) terminal and the ground on each channel.

I found a XLR to RCA adapter, no problem

Question is what are the A B adjustments on the front for? Says CLIP above them...

Anybody?

Attachments

• $_12 (1).JPG
    $_12 (1).JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 26
Could anyone tell me if these would work also?

Thanks so much for the knowledge it is much appreciated i love this place.

Attachments

• 31TnpJpuhuL.jpg
    31TnpJpuhuL.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 18
I found a XLR to RCA adapter, no problem

Question is what are the A B adjustments on the front for? Says CLIP above them...

Anybody?

Level adjustments. The "clip" indicator lights are to indicate if the amp is being pushed into clipping.

Could anyone tell me if these would work also?

Thanks so much for the knowledge it is much appreciated i love this place.

These must be better

Either of those would probably work fine. I have an Altec pro amp in my living room, I made a custom RCA to XLR cable out of a couple of old, super-long XLR cables I had in my spares box.

The manual is available as a download from JBL. Google is your friend.

Does your pre-amp have only RCA outs? I would recommend building your own cable. Sweetwater has dual unbalanced by the foot and Parts Express has great prices on Neutrik 1/4" jacks and RCA's. Any of the above suggestions look good, but seems like you should do some reading up on connectors and pro amps. Whole different world than consumer audio gear.

Fella on the first page says that he uses a 1/4" phono jack with RCA adapter with success on his 6230...

one of these i presume

its a mono jack and should provide for a balanced connection from what I understand

Attachments

• 71491.jpg
    71491.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I ran my biamp system with those JBL/UREI power amps - be careful with the XLR connectors - JBL had a somewhat non-standard pinout for them. Can't access it quickly here. - AHHh - found it (on the Lansing Forum list)

attachment.php

That Urei-JBL 6260 is Pin3(+) (and Tip on TRS). - thats an "old" Pin3 hot convention.

My preferred hookup was using a pair of the "Gold" RCA to 1/4 phone plug adapters from Radio shack ... Like these -

attachment.php

With my old biamp system, I ran preamp out from my HK receiver into an Ashly crossover to split off low and High freq,
then ran lows into a JBL/UREI 6260 amp, highs into a 6230 amp, and then to some JBL 4341 monitors ... worked great!

attachment.php

Ah - Phil replied while i was typing - he's got the good info if you have time to wait for a parts shipment!

Those are input attenuators. Set them so your pre-amp volume control is mid-level at your normal-to-high listening level for a start.

I like RCA-to-1/4" adapters or these with my Crown amps:

http://www.shopblt.com/item/pyle-pprc-j05-rca-cable/q724_pprcj05.html

PPRCJ05.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom