Need Bluetooth, Rechargeable, STEREO speakers

Audiojoe

I'm looking for some Bluetooth speakers to use with my Android phone, and hopefully the speakers would have re-chargeable batteries... but will also PROVIDE LEFT AND RIGHT CHANNEL SEPARATION VIA 2 SPEAKERS.

I have just purchased a Samson Expedition Express (single speaker system) that is Bluetooth, has a rechargeable battery, even has Treble and bass controls... BUT it's a single speaker system... It would be GREAT if I had two of these and they would perform as left and right channel speakers...

There's a Marshall Stanmore speaker that sounds pretty good, but it's still a one speaker system, and I don't think it's rechargeable battery...

I'm a little surprised I'm having such a difficult time finding:

- Bluetooth
- Rechargeable battery
- Left and Right stereo separation between *2* speakers.

Any advice?

There's no shortage of stereo bluetooth (BT) speakers (look on crutchfield.com for instance). But typically those speakers have to be wired at least to each other. My understanding is that there is no protocol for BT multicasting. In other words your phone or BT enabled source can only connect to one BT speaker at a time. (Yes you can connect to more than one device, i.e. a mouse and a keyboard. But only one audio device.)

I'm not sure how the no-name speakers on Hammacher Schlemmer do it. I assume that if they work as advertised, they have some sort of secondary transceiver that allows one speaker to rebroadcast broadcast the signal to the other speaker. To me they look more gimmicky than anything else.

There's no shortage of stereo bluetooth (BT) speakers (look on crutchfield.com for instance). But typically those speakers have to be wired at least to each other. My understanding is that there is no protocol for BT multicasting. In other words your phone or BT enabled source can only connect to one BT speaker at a time. (Yes you can connect to more than one device, i.e. a mouse and a keyboard. But only one audio device.)

I'm not sure how the no-name speakers on Hammacher Schlemmer do it. I assume that if they work as advertised, they have some sort of secondary transceiver that allows one speaker to rebroadcast broadcast the signal to the other speaker. To me they look more gimmicky than anything else.

I stand corrected... These can be linked together for stereo: http://www.ultimateears.com/en-us/boom

Although I have no idea how they do it. (Are they daisy-chained or multicast?)

I haven't heard them but What Hifi recommends them, meaning they can't be too bad. And most reviewers compare them favorably to the Bose Soundlink Mini. I'm thinking of buying one for my SO (so I don't have to listen to her play music on her iphone speaker anymore). If you want two you will have to shell out $400 though. Next maybe they will release a BT portable subwoofer.

By the way Ultimate Ears is Logitech re-branded. The original Ultimate Ears is now Ultimate Ears Pro.

The Jabra Solemate Max has two very defined looking channels however it is a one piece unit.
3d18816d5154d974e5c80fa71584da6c.jpg

Two woofers, two tweeters, and a passive radiator on the back.

Now two of the UE Mini Booms can be daisy chained together, so can the regular size UE Boom and the JBL Flip. Effectively giving you separate units for the right and left channels. Two of the UE Mini Booms or JBL Flips would run you $200. Two of the regular sized UE Booms would run you $400. You're really edging into Bose and Sonos territory there. (BTW the Sonos units sound SO good for what they are)

I have the medium sized Jabra Solemate. Two tweeters, one woofer and passive radiator. It had a narrow sweet spot but no real separation to speak of. In the situations when I'm using it separation doesn't matter. In the bathroom getting ready for work. In the kitchen. When laying down before bed. I think I probably use it more for NPR programs than I do for music. However it has a mere semblance of bass when the track calls for it.

Note as well that Audioengine is on the verge of bringing to market a Bluetooth speaker that looks like they glued two of their A2 active speakers together at the base. Same driver layout and same front vents. Just not sure whether or not it is portable or must be plugged in.

UE Mini Boom break down by CNET
873e58c3c42ed38d7bbf354165652bab.jpg

Edit. The JBL Flip cannot be daisy chained but the cheaper JBL Micro can. Now problem. While reviews about the UE Mini Boom specify that when daisy chained they produce stereo sound, I can't find anything about the JBL Micro that specifies what daisy chain means. Their own site explains as "creating a more powerful sound experience". Definitely not an enthusiast geared product.

Last edited:
Edit. The JBL Flip cannot be daisy chained but the cheaper JBL Micro can. Now problem. While reviews about the UE Mini Boom specify that when daisy chained they produce stereo sound, I can't find anything about the JBL Micro that specifies what daisy chain means. Their own site explains as "creating a more powerful sound experience". Definitely not an enthusiast geared product.

If you look at the quick start guide on the product page, the JBL Micros are daisy chained together using a headphone cable--not wirelessly.

You are right, though about the UE mini boom. It does stereo wirelessly like its larger sibling and only costs half as much. Neither of these are bass monsters, but the boom is rated down to 90Hz while the mini is rated to 130Hz.

Back
Top Bottom