Picked up a pair of Teledyne AR 92 last night

Not much info on the AR92's... I had to dig pretty far back to find a thread with any real details on them. I might be getting a pair today. We'll see how negotiations go. Anyone have pics of a pair they own? I've seen the yahoo images search, but that's not the same as seeing an AK member's pair.

A few documents of interest. Apologies about the lo-res quality of the product cut sheet, but it's the best I have. The second page is part of a very interesting 15-page paper I have in a large pdf file - - too fat to upload here. PM me if interested, perhaps it can be emailed.

Attachments

• ar91_page_4-2.jpg
    ar91_page_4-2.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 35
  • ar91andar92bytimothyhollp.1.jpg
    ar91andar92bytimothyhollp.1.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 36
A few documents of interest. Apologies about the lo-res quality of the product cut sheet, but it's the best I have. The second page is part of a very interesting 15-page paper I have in a large pdf file - - too fat to upload here. PM me if interested, perhaps it can be emailed.

Thanks! It sounds like I'll be picking up these speakers tomorrow. Should be fun to try them out.

The second page is part of a very interesting 15-page paper I have in a large pdf file - - too fat to upload here. PM me if interested, perhaps it can be emailed.

I am very interested! :)

Maybe it can be uploaded to sendspace.com or to a similar site
and the download link could be shared here?

the ar92's are in the same family as the 9's 90's and 91's they all used the same drivers and are rated at 4 ohm's and can dip down to 3.2 ohms,you will need alot more power to make them sound there best the little marantz's really arent enough,i power my 91's with a rotel ra-1312 intergrated amp rated at 110 wpc and the 91'send it in to clipping very easily,classicspeakerpages.net is a wealth of info about ar speakers,oh and the were made from 78 to 81 in mass

I haven't found a single pair of 92's currently for sale, so I'm glad that I stumbled upon these. I'm guessing there aren't a million of them out there.

I got these home last night and unloaded them today. I paid next to nothing, so I don't mind the condition... but, they may be difficult to bring back to 100% health. I can handle the foam surrounds. One has a busted dust cap, and I can order a pair to replace these with. They are missing the dispersion foam around the mids. They are missing the grills, which should be near to impossible to replace. The vinyl veneer is pretty much gone, but a real wood veneer could be put on them... hmmmmmm... I hope they are worth the effort!

1546153_10152522943237817_7148382221692855809_n.jpg

10341492_10152522943322817_8330297273064049419_n.jpg

I figured I would update this ar92 thread, so others have some info when they find a pair. Here is mine, almost done with the re-foaming. The vinyl veneer was peeling, so I've purchased some real wood veneer for them. They are very solid performers... no question about sound quality or build quality!

11025827_10152737647692817_7861416861882384841_n.jpg

An original AR92 pic...

ar-92.JPG

Janik if you have'nt found any grills for those yet parts express sells a kit to make your own,and what are you powering them with

Janik if you have'nt found any grills for those yet parts express sells a kit to make your own,and what are you powering them with

That might be a way to go. If I could find the original foam dispersion padding for the mids, I'd be less concerned about having grills. I think mine would look complete enough to display sans grills, if they were 100% complete on the front baffle.

That might be a way to go. If I could find the original foam dispersion padding for the mids, I'd be less concerned about having grills. I think mine would look complete enough to display sans grills, if they were 100% complete on the front baffle.

The 'foam' around the mids wasn't soft at all. Not like the 'acoustic blanket' material. The mid & tweeter foam was very open celled and porous. Closer to AC type filters; just thicker. Maybe 1/2". Odd too, how so many of the AR 9, 90, 91, and 92 models, that are found now, seem to be missing the foam! But, my bought new AR90's foam is still in place, and looks new. No deteriation after all these years.

The 'foam' around the mids wasn't soft at all. Not like the 'acoustic blanket' material. The mid & tweeter foam was very open celled and porous. Closer to AC type filters; just thicker. Maybe 1/2". Odd too, how so many of the AR 9, 90, 91, and 92 models, that are found now, seem to be missing the foam! But, my bought new AR90's foam is still in place, and looks new. No deteriation after all these years.

Yeah, I've still got the tweeter foam, so I can tell what is supposed to be there. I think the mid foam is missing, because that is a bigger, heavier piece. I found some foam "dust" caught in the velcro circles, so it must disintegrate and fall off. The tweeter foam is a much smaller piece, so it must stay in place better.

Well... just waiting on the adhesive-backed cherry veneer to arrive. The 92's will be my first veneering job. I figure they should be easy, since they are just big rectangles. I will say this: I have some Yamaha NS-325's that I also finished re-foaming in the same week, and they sound better. They are like the little brother of the 1000's, as the ar92 is the little brother to the 9's. I find the yamaha speakers to be more accurate and realistic, but the bass from the AR's was fuller, richer, and more pronounced. Maybe the 92's could use a crossover rebuild to open up the mids and highs... I'll save that project for a future owner, though. My goal was simply to get these back to a respectable condition and then enjoy them for a while - not make them museum-worthy.

all the pics i've seen of the 92's were square corners,not clipped like the 91's i think they just used the same griils on both

Yep, AR-92 has square corner cabinet with a clipped corner grille.

Attachments

• AR-92.jpg
    AR-92.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 17
Thanks! I put in a bid on a pair of grills, but I'm maxed out at his opening bid. If I don't win them, I'm OK with it... I actually think they look better without the grills. The clipped corners look a bit odd to me!

Back
Top Bottom