University

stormking

Picked up a pair of University speakers this morning at an estate sale. Had no idea what they were, but looked early 60's vintage so I brought them home. I tried to do research on my own but can't find a model # or a picture of another pair like these. They have 6201 drivers and were built in White Plains NY. Anyone have any further info? My guess is these would work best with low wattage tube gear, something under 25 watts?

DSCN2055 by slick710, on Flickr

DSCN2057 by slick710, on Flickr

Last edited:
I have a smaller set of University Ultra D's that seemed to like 70's Onkyo solid state receivers. 30 and 45 wpc seemed to work well, but i never really pushed them hard for any period of time.

Ya done good! Let's not focus on the value aspect, or this'll need to be moved to the D&S section, but I will tell you University made plenty of nice speakers! I have some that I love! I don't know about this specific model, but more pics would be great! Inside, outside, up, and down... more pics!

Still learning the forum, and rules. I think I'll try these with a Mac 5100 and see how they do. The stands look like they were home made, but the speakers are heavy and well built. The speaker cloth has what appears to be metal strands woven in.

DSCN2058 by slick710, on Flickr

I would like to see what drivers are inside. I have the EN-CB with the Cobreflex mid horns. Most of these vintage University are efficient so don't go crazy with a high powered amp. They look somewhat like a "Tiny-Mite" enclosure that is 21"H x 15 1/2" W x 12 1/2" deep. .

Also, if you refinish those cabinets like they are supposed to be, they'll look worlds better. That crazy "hull of a boat" high gloss shine needs to go!

In the last picture I had just oiled the cabs, so appear shinier than they actually are. The finish on these is semi gloss and looks original? not my favorite either. I will try and add a driver picture later on.

What are the cabinets measurements? Can you remove the grills as some are held on with velcro tabs.

The 6201... That's one of their full-rangers. 12". I've heard the 15" version of that driver, and it was probably the most-inviting, engaging speaker I've ever heard. Like a warm blanket being wrapped around you. The 12" is supposed to be great as well. Tubes all the way. Did yours come with oil caps?

You're talking about one of the best full-rangers if that's what it is. University was TOTL, expensive, high-end range. Their stuff competed with Altec, Briggs-era Wharfedale, Bozak, early Jensen (the GOOD Jensen back in the late '50's and early '60's), early AR, Quad, etc. They don't command that much these days, mainly because not that many people know about them (because the company was gone by the early '70's, I believe), but make no mistake, they were one of the best of the golden age of stereo brands. Perfect for '50's/'60's classic-rock/pop/soul/R&B, etc. and should be good with acoustic music, jazz, blues, and that sort of thing.

Last edited:
You're talking about one of the best full-rangers if that's what it is. University was TOTL, expensive, high-end range. Their stuff competed with Altec, Briggs-era Wharfedale, Bozak, etc.

IMO it was good but hardly as good as Altec. I considered it the poor man's Altec or JBL.

L2hvbWUva2UtdmludGFnZS9zb3VuZHVwLnJ1L2RvY3MvaW1hZ2VzL3N0b3JpZXMvYXJjaGl2ZS9DbGFzc2ljL3NwZWFrZXJzL3VuaXZlcnNpdHktNjIwMS0xMi1pbmNoLWNvYXgtc3BlYWtlcnMvdW5pdmVyc2l0eS02MjAxLTEyLWluY2gtY29heC1zcGVha2Vycy00LmpwZWc=.jpg

L2hvbWUva2UtdmludGFnZS9zb3VuZHVwLnJ1L2RvY3MvaW1hZ2VzL3N0b3JpZXMvYXJjaGl2ZS9DbGFzc2ljL3NwZWFrZXJzL3VuaXZlcnNpdHktNjIwMS0xMi1pbmNoLWNvYXgtc3BlYWtlcnMvdW5pdmVyc2l0eS02MjAxLTEyLWluY2gtY29heC1zcGVha2Vycy03LmpwZWc=.jpg

L2hvbWUva2UtdmludGFnZS9zb3VuZHVwLnJ1L2RvY3MvaW1hZ2VzL3N0b3JpZXMvYXJjaGl2ZS9DbGFzc2ljL3NwZWFrZXJzL3VuaXZlcnNpdHktNjIwMS0xMi1pbmNoLWNvYXgtc3BlYWtlcnMvdW5pdmVyc2l0eS02MjAxLTEyLWluY2gtY29heC1zcGVha2Vycy0xLmpwZWc=.jpg

IMO it was good but hardly as good as Altec. I considered it the poor man's Altec or JBL.

Opinions vary on that my friend. I am 63 and my late Dad had University Classic's and the EN-CB a true folded self contained exponential horn. The University C15W 15" dual impedance woofer was a great woofer used in their TOTL "Classic", "Decor-Coustic" EN-CB and others.
I have owned Altec and JBL and liked all of those horn loaded speakers and IMHO the University is as good as either.

I was merely talking about which other brands they competed with at the time. They were just as expensive and were sold in the same high-end hi-fi shops back in the day. I've heard the "poor man's Altec" thing from others as well. Very-nice, well-made drivers though.

I was merely talking about which other brands they competed with at the time. They were just as expensive and were sold in the same high-end hi-fi shops back in the day. I've heard the "poor man's Altec" thing from others as well. Very-nice, well-made drivers though.

The "poor man's Altec" came from the DIY kits University offered back then VS factory finished cabinets that ran the price up some.

The "poor man's Altec" came from the DIY kits University offered back then VS factory finished cabinets that ran the price up some.

I would love to find a pair of Medallion XII's. From the early to mid '60's with the Sphericon tweeter. Supposed to be smooth, rich, and sweet like farm-fresh, hand-churned butter. I love smooth, warm, engaging, extremely-musical speakers like that. Wharfedale, University, Bozak, and that sort of thing. The ones that really get inside your soul. University made that kind of speaker. The old Fisher models are like that as well.

The Altec sound is not as warm as the University sound (OR the Wharfedale sound). My ideal sound would likely be closer to University than Altec, but that's just my thing. I like the warm, inviting stuff.

Last edited:
Wow.. Just looking around, university made some very neat stuff!

That's an s8

That looks really close to the EN-CB I have with the same horns, woofer etc.. I have one cabinet that looks close to this and the other is clone Klipschorn with the same drivers etc. I don't have room for Klipschorn and my wife hates the looks of the EN-CB.:scratch2: A Cornscala with the University drivers might be a compromise.

I am waiting on Stormking to post the measurements on his University speakers as I am still looking for a pic that looks like his speakers.
Louis

Back
Top Bottom