you got $5000 to spend, what do you buy?

Hi guys, I could use some help here.

I am in the middle of a complete system overhaul, I've been selling off a bunch of gear and putting all the money into upgrading the main system. Trading up if you will. After selling a couple more pieces I should have about $5000 to spend on a pair of speakers only problem is I don't know where to start.

I'm want a reasonably sized floor stander, they absolutely cant "look like coffins". A speaker that is detailed and accurate but smooth non fatiguing. I want a full sound with realistic bass weight, you know basically the perfect speaker. I dont want to have to use a sub.

So, new or used what would you spend your 5g's on? I hope to do this sometime this month, july at the latest, super excited to take the next step up.these speakers are currently on my radar

used pair of Wilson audio sophia 2 ( may have to stretch the budget a bit on these)
used anthony gallo reference 3.5
new sonus faber veneer 3.0
used Sonus faber cremona m

I am open to any suggestions, please let me know , good or bad what you think.

the current set up is Dali ikon 6 powered by a threshold s/300, fet/10-fet/10pc preamp , garrard 401 turntable.

Thanks for the help guys!

I'd for sure be auditioning them - I'd love to here some big Harbeths.

For sure, I am taking a trip to dallas to listen to the Wilson sophias, I just need to narrow down what I am auditioning. I listened to some of the smaller Harbeths and honestly wasn't impressed, I know everyone raves about them but they just didn't do it for me.

JBL 1400 Arrays would be my choice, if I could find some that cheap.

oh yeah! I remember reading about these when they first came out. I am pretty good at finding deals so I will definitely keep an eye out for a pair. Great suggestion, thanks!

The Sonus Faber Veneres $3K are nice if you like a warmer richer sound and the Martin Logan Theos $5K are also nice and airy if you like a brighter speaker.

They vary in price point, sound and styling.

In my case they couldn't beat my human coffin sized speakers so I passed but they would both be contenders for different reasons.

Last edited:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trk...H0.Xaltec+a4&_nkw=altec+a4&_sacat=0&_from=R40
$T2eC16dHJHYFFj5nS(yqBRZJ!6EUbg~~60_1.JPG

these

Infinity Gamma/Delta's

Attachments

• Infinity IRS Delta en Gamma.jpg
    Infinity IRS Delta en Gamma.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Last time I was at Wilson, he had (if I remember right) a pair of Spendor A6's in the back he had just got in. Sounded pretty awesome as I remember.

I heard the SF Venere 3.0 speakers in Miami: very nice. Didn't care for them in white, though. I'd likely lean to a used Aerial Acoustics model if it were me.

Green Mountain Audio - 5k won't get you what you want at retail, but they do come up on the used market.
Absolutely the finest, most breath taking audio experience I have ever had was in the clutches of a totl model from about 12-15 years ago. Nothing before or since has even been close.

I'd probably give Von Schweikert a look as well.

Someone else mentioned PBN/Montana. I'd probably give these a shot, too as there is a dealer close by. Never heard them. They do get positive press and they look incredibly well built/designed/engineered.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

If I were to think about spending $5k on speakers I'd probably try to find a pair of used Revel Salons to start the quest.

Back
Top Bottom