JBL Lansaloy Dillema

tubed

Lunatic Member
I'm freaking out.
A have a pair of S8R Sovereigns that I want to enjoy but don't want to change out the nice but a bit stiff original Lansaloy surrounds.
I want to try the Dot3 fluid thing before replacing the surrounds on these 15" $monsters$.
I'm freaking out because I'm tempted to do something perhaps not necessary!
Anybody used the fluid?:)

It can't hurt (unless you mess up the cone with it), it won't last (eventually you should look into at least re-surrounds), and it really won't allow them to play to their full potential. Go for it.

^^^^^^
Thanks for the reply but have you or a friend ever performed this task?
I've perused the Heritage Forum and found some think it works while a minority say nay.
These posts regarding the Dot3 go back a few years and I don't see any follow up lately about any accounts of success or fallout from failure, other than the process has to be repeated and the liquid kept completely away from the cone.

I've never owned a Lansaloy surround but I know how brake-fluid works. No reason not to try. Just don't expect miracles and don't expect it to last. New surrounds, applied to the front, is the way to go (if you're not going to re-cone).

I tried that on some LE8T drivers. It did work, but also stained the white cones. Whoops. I don't recommend it.

I'm freaking out.
A have a pair of S8R Sovereigns that I want to enjoy but don't want to change out the nice but a bit stiff original Lansaloy surrounds.
I want to try the Dot3 fluid thing before replacing the surrounds on these 15" $monsters$.
I'm freaking out because I'm tempted to do something perhaps not necessary!
Anybody used the fluid?:)
I wouldn't. Best case it might loosen them up. Reality? You'll ruin the cone which I don't believe you can source "original" anymore. Plus it may leave a residue behind that might make it difficult to attach new foams. I'd say too many negatives. I've replaced surrounds on a number of LE10 and PR10 and they work so much better with new surrounds. If you really gotta have white, there are white surrounds on ebay, I just don't know how good they are.

Bye the way, I thought Lansaloy was the coating ON the woofers, not the surround material. Anyone?

Tough spot, tubed.

How do you know they're more stiff than they should be? :scratch2:

That would be nice to know as I've seen some systems have very little in/out excursion.
I'm half way there to open the Dot3 brush in hand.

I tried that on some LE8T drivers. It did work, but also stained the white cones. Whoops. I don't recommend it.

Yes, that's why I'm freaking.
How close to the cone did you apply the fluid, the whole surround?

I've never owned a Lansaloy surround but I know how brake-fluid works. No reason not to try. Just don't expect miracles and don't expect it to last. New surrounds, applied to the front, is the way to go (if you're not going to re-cone).

I don't expect it to last, just miracles.
No kidding, the new surrounds are applied on top because that would make refoamed less harrowing..

I wouldn't. Best case it might loosen them up. Reality? You'll ruin the cone which I don't believe you can source "original" anymore. Plus it may leave a residue behind that might make it difficult to attach new foams. I'd say too many negatives. I've replaced surrounds on a number of LE10 and PR10 and they work so much better with new surrounds. If you really gotta have white, there are white surrounds on ebay, I just don't know how good they are.

Bye the way, I thought Lansaloy was the coating ON the woofers, not the surround material. Anyone?

Aquaplas coating.

No reason not to try. Just don't expect miracles and don't expect it to last. New surrounds, applied to the front, is the way to go (if you're not going to re-cone).

This.

I used brake fluid on my LE14s and while it softened them a bit it's just a Band Aid. I've refoamed hundreds of speakers, so it was no big deal for me.

Refoaming IS the way to go; why forestall the inevitable???

The old threads on the subject caution to use it very, very sparingly to keep it from seeping onto the cone. A couple of miserly applications.

But really, even super hardcore car restoration guys don't expect you to pull up into Pebble Beach on 75 year old weather-cracked tires soaked with Armour All. I think a new surround would be a better way to go.

They put 'em on the front because getting the Lansaloy surround off generally chips the Aquaplas, the new surround on front covers the chips. There was a guy in the last year or so that did a thread on a LE14, I think it was a C. He put his on the back.

Ah, here it is.. Jump to post #9 (English isn't his native tongue, but you will be able to understand his point I think).

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?34550-JBL-LE14C-Maintenance-over-time

If I may offer my two cents, sounds to me like a "do it once, do it right" situation. It's not like you're asking about redoping some woofers out of KLH xx where if you screw it up replacements aren't so hard to source. Didn't you get into those things wicked cheap, anyway?

This.

I used brake fluid on my LE14s and while it softened them a bit it's just a Band Aid. I've refoamed hundreds of speakers, so it was no big deal for me.

Refoaming IS the way to go; why forestall the inevitable???

Because there is a degree of play when slightly pushing in the passive and the surrounds look very good. Again, I have no reference point as to the degree of how much in/out movement.
Also, collectability?
Here's pic of the woofer.

I applied it to the roll of the surround. It looked fine, until the next day.

I will come nowhere close to the inner edge of the surround:no:

The old threads on the subject caution to use it very, very sparingly to keep it from seeping onto the cone. A couple of miserly applications.

But really, even super hardcore car restoration guys don't expect you to pull up into Pebble Beach on 75 year old weather-cracked tires soaked with Armour All. I think a new surround would be a better way to go.

They put 'em on the front because getting the Lansaloy surround off generally chips the Aquaplas, the new surround on front covers the chips. There was a guy in the last year or so that did a thread on a LE14, I think it was a C. He put his on the back.

Ah, here it is.. Jump to post #9 (English isn't his native tongue, but you will be able to understand his point I think).

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?34550-JBL-LE14C-Maintenance-over-time

There's no aquaplas on the LE15a, just raw cone.
I'd seriously hate to glue a new surround to the top of the cone.
I don't believe I've never seen it.

Attachments

• Picture 166.jpg
    Picture 166.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 131
If I may offer my two cents, sounds to me like a "do it once, do it right" situation. It's not like you're asking about redoping some woofers out of KLH xx where if you screw it up replacements aren't so hard to source. Didn't you get into those things wicked cheap, anyway?

No doubt, words of wisdom.
The question is do they absolutely need new surrounds.
Like I said they look good and move freely and proportionately to the passive movement. They seem stiff but I have no idea how they felt new.
So it's not about how wicked cheap I got them:)

There's no aquaplas on the LE15a, just raw cone.
I'd seriously hate to glue a new surround to the top of the cone.
I don't believe I've never seen it.

My bad, I thought they were coated for some reason.

That'd be a great candidate for just putting a new surround on the rear.

As for how stiff they are supposed to be, good question. You could measure them with WT-2 or the like and compare them to the list here:

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/thiele small parameters/theile parameters.pdf

So it's not about how wicked cheap I got them:)

For sure. I should know better than to make such a ridiculous statement since, you know, you get into all your speakers wicked cheap. It's just kind of a given with you....modus operandi, or whatever. :D

I'd put new surrounds on 'em. Them suckas gotta be old.

Last edited:
Just get the surrounds done, they won't perform as they are supposed to until you do. The brake fluid trick will soften them up, but it won't last, and the stuff is nasty -- you might screw them up trying for just a temp fix. I know the Lansalloys look cool, but they are no good anymore. :)

I wouldn't worry about new surrounds affecting the collectibilty of the drivers any more than new caps in a 50 year old tube amp or the tires on the car example.

They are all wear items and collectors know that. In many cases I'd suggezt well done refoam adds to the value as it reduces the restoration for said collector.

Back
Top Bottom