Need help with Dynaco a25xls!

backyardking

Need advice on Dynaco a25xl.
Hi...hoping someone out there in speaker land can help me out. I recently acquired some really nice Dynacos a 25xls from an estate sale but one of the speakers has an issue. There is a static like crackle coming from one on the woofers. Gets worse with volume and bass. Sometimes not there at all or is very faint. What do you think the problem is? Do I need to start looking for a new woofer?
Thanks

Dynaco a25xls.... Need advice.

Need advice on Dynaco a25xl.
Hi...hoping someone out there in speaker land can help me out. I recently acquired some really nice Dynacos a 25xls from an estate sale but one of the speakers has an issue. There is a static like crackle coming from one on the woofers. Gets worse with volume and bass. Sometimes not there at all or is very faint. What do you think the problem is? Do I need to start looking for a new woofer?
Thanks

I too have a pair of A25XLs and enjoy them greatly. There are two things that can cause this. First check to see if the voice coil of the woofer is rubbing and making the noise. You do not need to remove the woofer. Just apply even pressure on the cone of the woofer and push it in and out. If you feel anything rough or grinding while it is moving in and out; it is the voice coil. Will likely have to replace the woofer; if this is the case.

The second, and more likely cause, can be determined by removing the woofer. The woofers have a common and almost inevitable failure. Luckily it is a very easy fix. After removing the woofer; look at the underside where the two tinsel wires attach to the cone of the speaker. It is common for the insulators that were on the metal speaker basket to disintegrate. When this happens, as in my speakers, a tiny metal ring that is part of the isolator now can slide down the tinsel wires and rest on the woofer cone. Each time decent bass notes or kick drums are played through the speaker a distinct and worrying sound can be heard. I just slid the loose pieces back up to the basket and glued them back on the basket. You should do this to the woofer in the other speaker to avoid it eventually happening. If it hasn't fallen apart yet; just cover the insulators with some glue to help them stay together. Best of luck. I love my Xl's! :yes:

Just wanted to add that while you have the woofer out; you should spray the contacts for the three way selector, located inside on the back wall, with contact cleaner(Deoxit). After spraying the selector contacts turn the knob on the back of the cabinet at least 20 times. May need to repeat this process for best results.

Also seriously consider replacing the old capacitor in each crossover.

That's all I've got. Best of luck!

I'd begin with making sure the crossover is recapped and healthy. Also remember these speakers need to be used gently. 50-60 watts is safe maximum power for A 25 models in either variant.

I have redone many A25XL speakers. More then likely, your woofer's wire terminal has fallen apart (the terminal where the flexure wire connects to the box's internal wiring) and this connection is shorting out against the cast aluminum speaker basket. More then likely, both terminals have fallen apart. This is a bad condition as it can present a short to your amplifier if both terminals short to the cast basket at the same time. I always replace the terminals with some Radio-Shack hardware. It is not the cap. Every cap I have tested falls within tolerance. While your into the cabinet, give the 3 position rotary control a shot of Deoxit 5 and work the control back and forth, to take out any deposits.

Update on my Dynaco a25xls.
Thanks Oozure...you were 100% right with your diagnosis. I took the woofer out and sure enough there were two little washers that had slid down the tinsel wire and were resting on the cone. These washers were the culprits....causing a static like crackle especially with bass. I glued them in place and I now have no probs.
Thanks Again

Update on my Dynaco a25xls.
Thanks Oozure...you were 100% right with your diagnosis. I took the woofer out and sure enough there were two little washers that had slid down the tinsel wire and were resting on the cone. These washers were the culprits....causing a static like crackle especially with bass. I glued them in place and I now have no probs.
Thanks for all feedback

Back
Top Bottom