What Speakers Would You Have If You Had The Right Room?

jdmccall

Maybe you love the speakers you have, but considering that many of us have to make do with rooms that are too small, too this or too that, what speaker would you buy with your own money if you had the ideal room for them?

As for me, I love my 901's in my family room, and they sound really good there, but...in a perfect world where I could build the perfect room, I think I'd want a pair of klipschorns! 16x22x10 is close to the "golden ratio" for room dimensions, so that might be a good place to start. I'd put'em on the long wall, feed'em well and exercise them daily!:banana:

"Dreaming is free." :yes:

big room, big speakers, just dreamin'

Have to be the JBL flagship Everest.Not sure of the correct model #,but they feature twin 15's, on an split angled front baffle sitting under a massive contoured radial horn, with a super tweeter on top.an English audio mag reviewed them, stating, basically, the best they have ever tested.im thinking they would demand a very big room.Good enough for me!

Last edited:
Have to be the JBL flagship Everest.Not sure of the correct model #,but they feature twin 15's, on an split angled front baffle sitting under a massive contoured radial horn, with a super tweeter on top.an English audio mag reviewed them, stating, basically, the best they have ever tested.Good enough for me!

That's a good choice...but not with my money. Too danged 'spensive! I think the k-horns are a better value (!?) at 9k. I'd love to hear those big JBL's, though. I especially dig the K2 (single 15" woofer) That would be my pick of the big, modern JBL's.

If I could manage it, there are two or three speakers that would suite me.

For a more "normal size" room these would make me very happy. I've heard these at two different (extended) listening sessions. The owner is the Assistant Conductor and Manager of the Bremerton Symphony Orchestra, as well as a member of the "Sound DIY Club".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6mvFBs7FRc&index=16&list=UU4gW24yyVGFf0Z8U4v9NbbQ

Best Regards,
TerryO

Nice, but that Avantgarde Acoustic look doesn't really do much for me. (Yes, I admit that I am a shallow audiophile. Looks matter!

That's a good choice...but not with my money. Too danged 'spensive! I think the k-horns are a better value (!?) at 9k. I'd love to hear those big JBL's, though. I especially dig the K2 (single 15" woofer) That would be my pick of the big, modern JBL's.
.There is no way, unless I won the lottery I could own those.Just a fantasy.I think they are over 100k.I wish I had a bigger room for my TimeFrame 700s!.

I have a pretty large living room that my wife gave me carte blanche with one large wall to do with what I want as long as it's neat and organized. I always wanted some Carver ALS speakers after hearing my son's ALS III+. Last month I bought a pair of ALS Silvers in solid oak finish. They sound incredible. 48" ribbons and three 12" subwoofers in each speaker.
I would love to hear a JBL Paragon in a massive room. Funny thing when I bought home the speakers my wife hated then due to their size. Then a few days later she said she liked them because their natural oak finish matched our furniture perfectly. She even said she'd treat them since I physically can't. Go figure. Not just because of that but my wife of over 37 years is awesome.

Nice, but that Avantgarde Acoustic look doesn't really do much for me. (Yes, I admit that I am a shallow audiophile. Looks matter!

You probably wouldn't care for my other choices, so I won't bother posting any more on this thread.

Best Regards,
TerryO

I think for me it's not a question of the right room. But more of a question of the right wallet or checking account! :D

Westlake Tower SM-1's for the listening room.

Danley Jericho for the back yard.

Eggleston Works Ivy for the den/library.

Ha! Those look like Darth Vader Pez dispensers...:D

Sorry Dave...:lmao:

pez-giant-darth-vader-open.jpg

Sonu Faber Extrema 30th Anniversary model (since they only hand built 30 pairs)

sonus-faber_extrema_18.jpg

Not sure if this thread is about what speakers I'd have if I had unlimited funds, or about the room. But I'll say that of the speakers I do have, I'd like to hear my Magnepan MGIIb and Bose 901 Series I in the right room, although the right room for those two are quite different. Klipschorns would be another interesting choice, but honestly if cost is no object, any number of speakers I've heard are quite a bit better than any I currently have. KEF Blades just being one example, and those are cheap @40k compared to others.

Maybe you love the speakers you have, but considering that many of us have to make do with rooms that are too small, too this or too that, what speaker would you buy with your own money if you had the ideal room for them?

As for me, I love my 901's in my family room, and they sound really good there, but...in a perfect world where I could build the perfect room, I think I'd want a pair of klipschorns! 16x22x10 is close to the "golden ratio" for room dimensions, so that might be a good place to start. I'd put'em on the long wall, feed'em well and exercise them daily!:banana:

You start a thread and ask people what they would like for themselves with their money. Then you reply back to them with snided money and design comments on their choices. Realy? And that's comming from someone who actually owns and thinks 901s sound good with aspiration to upgrade to Klipchhorns.

You probably wouldn't care for my other choices, so I won't bother posting any more on this thread.

Best Regards,
TerryO
Terry I thought dreaming was free but I guess not with a judgemental OP that can't hear.

Not sure if this thread is about what speakers I'd have if I had unlimited funds, or about the room.
I can only speak for myself. But, for me, having the right room is in every way related to having unlimited(or at least adequate to fulfill my wants) funds.

You start a thread and ask people what they would like for themselves with their money. Then you reply back to them with snided money and design comments on their choices. Realy? And that's comming from someone who actually owns and thinks 901s sound good with aspiration to upgrade to Klipchhorns.

Terry I thought dreaming was free but I guess not with a judgemental OP that can't hear.

I went back over the OP's posts and don't see (hear?) the snide remarks you are perceiving. Conversations can be difficult without the inflections of speech.

Since you said we'd have the ideal room....

I've owned Khorns and I own some of these bass bins. These will crush the Khorns. I might add that these are not mine although I do own five of the double bass bins.

Attachments

• IMG_0870.jpg
    IMG_0870.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 46
Back
Top Bottom