Picked up a pair of Teledyne AR 92 last night

Whaleman

Hi-Fi Rescue Mission
After a thorough cleaning and hooking them up to a Marantz 1550, they souned OK. Are these speaker good or your Bose quality stuff?

Could not find anywhere "made in", thought they did reference England and New England.

Got them for $5 each.

That's a steal at 5 bucks a pop. They are considerably more desirable than Bose, and of much higher quality. Drive them with a lot of power, minimum 50wpc. They are also probably 4-6 ohms.

THANKS FOR THE SPEC SHEET! Anyone know what these things retailed for back then?

I meant Good vs. Bose quality. I've had a pair of Bose 301 for 20 years and have always wondered what the fuss was all about, mediocre at best. The midds were OK. Our new school gymnasium put in a Bose PA system. What a shame the sound it tries to make. They would have been better of with Kraco car speakers.

The Marantz 1550 of the same vintage, has true 50 WPC, so I think it should be plenty.

The AR-92s are in awesome shape. I will clean the grills tonight and will post some pics.

Also got a Sony STR-V55 with them. It only plays to about 2 and starts cutting in and out, like an overload relay. Any ideas?

Whaleman said:
Got them for $5 each.

I had AR93's but they were a very different animal. I loved them however and can't imagine that the 92's would be anything other than a step up.

Whaleman said:
I've had a pair of Bose 301 for 20 years and have always wondered what the fuss was all about, mediocre at best.

Many regard the 301's to be one of the best that Bose has offered. I had a pair for a while and thought they were quite listenable. The "fuss" stems from the company's very successful marketing hype and Joe Consumer, who just doesn't know any better.

Whaleman said:
Also got a Sony STR-V55 with them. It only plays to about 2 and starts cutting in and out, like an overload relay. Any ideas?

Could this simply be crud in the volume pot? Perhaps a good cleaning would fix it.

I've not had the pleasure of hearing any the Teledyne era stuff. Nice grab....well, I reckon so anyway... :rolleyes: - Mark

No, it sounds more like a relay going on/off inside. Click and sound goes off. Lower volume, comes back on. One of those safety thingies.

Well that sucks. Kinda weird, even. But I don't know much about electronical type stuff, so I'll be of no further help with that. Sorry. Good luck, though. :D - Mark

AR-92:

Built = 1972--1977
MSRP = $650

TA is right. That poor Sony is being eaten alive by the AR's 4-ohm impedance. Going to have to put them on a better amp/receiver.

Toasted Almond, you were right! Put them on my KLH mdel 24 8 ohms and the Sony worked flawlessly. Great sound, everything working. Only thing, is AM is tuning in the European increments of 9 instead of 10. Who knows why, and I did not see a switch. Attached is what I believed to be toast.

Last edited:
Sony STR-V45/V55 Receivers

Whaleman said:
Only thing, is AM is tuning in the European increments of 9 instead of 10. Who knows why, and I did not see a switch. Attached is what I believed to be toast.

Whaleman, the 9/10 frequency increment switch is on the bottom of the unit, right behind the front left foot. Took me awhile to figure it out also when I got mine.

I have always liked this receiver, but it doesn't get alot of respect on AK, possibly because it is not common. Seems to have the build quality of a mid-70s analog receiver with the convenience of a digital tuner - and handsome styling to boot, IMHO. One other feature I have always enjoyed: the rotary controls, particularly the volume, have the smoothest, silkiest, most "sensuous" tactile feel of any receiver I have ever used.

Maybe it has something to do with the "Pulse Power Supply". Perhaps it is "pulsing" too slowly? :scratch2:

Really tho...that's a nice looking Sony. Does it have discreet components or does it have the amp module/ICs?

Hi Willy, I'll open the Sony up and check it out. It has been so trouble free, except for driving those 4 ohms speakers that I've not messed with it. I got the AM switched OK and it drives Cerwins D-7s like a champ. Very under rated unit. The highs are Ok but I have not deox it or anything. I think I will eBay it...it is somewhat rare Sony, lots of metal for a change. Sold the 1550, some studio guy bought and it was sounding great. He could not hear the hum and neither could I on that day. He said his ears were tired from headphones anyways.

I have AR 90's, 94's (two sets) and 93's. All real good speakers. I heard some 92's at Dingus' house and they sounded good but were overshadowed by the massive AR9's that day so they did not get a fair shake from me :>)

AR 92s for $10 is a GREAT scoop. You need some power driving them and if they are fully functional they will sing. Very nice speakers.

They are very nice, very little use, no dents. They are hooked up to a Marantz 2238B in a spare bedroom, so they are quite happy. I am guessing they are made in Mass?

Back
Top Bottom