Sansuii 1000a vs. McIntosh MX110 & MC240

Perkinsman

"I've never met a fixer that I couldn't break"
I'm loving my Sansuii and think it has better reception, warmth and clarity than my McIntosh stuff. Is there something wrong with me?

Nothing wrong with you but I'm betting there's something wrong with your Mac separates:scratch2:.

Hi, 62 Caddy and Motorstereo. I have a MX110 Z and a MC 240 playing through a set of Altec Lansing model 19's It doesn't get any better.

The 'Sui stuff is pretty good when working to spec, the Mac gear is something else altogether with the same caveat. Overhaul and alignment really matters.
The later higher end 'Suis should have better reception, the tuner in the tube receiver was pretty basic.

McIntosh is better supported, overall superior in build and in engineering. And is a heirloom purchase. And I am a Sansui fan and owner too.

Can't resist weighing in on this. I have a 2105 and a C28 along with a Sansui 9090 in my secondary listening area. After listening to the Macs for a couple of months (in the secondary listening area), I recently switched over to the Sansui. I have to say the Sansui sounds slightly better. I was really surprised at this since I've owned the Macs for over 10 years and really enjoyed the sound they produce. There is more bottom end punch and a 3 dimensional element I'm getting from the Sansui that I was not getting through Macs. The phono section in the 9090 is excellent and the tuner delivers a really warm sound. However, I wont be throwing my Macs under the bus anytime soon as I still think they are very cool. Both systems are mid 70's vintage. This will give me an opportunity to send the C28 in for service as the loud hum on startup could be part of the reason the Sansui is outperforming the Macs.

Back
Top Bottom