Diving back into the Vintage hardware...

Johnny D

Johnny Danger
I have joined your delightful group as I begin my journey back into Vintage Hardware. I will be seeking guidance as I go, so just expect some weird questions from me.

I have just purchased a Pioneer QX-949 on Ebay. I always wanted this unit when I was a CMC junkie in the early 70's. Well, it is on it's way. Of course, I have no speakers for it... yet.

I have been using a digital a/v receiver for years for all of my music, and just decided something was missing. I do have two Sony 300 CD changers (and running out of room).:D I also have an Ion usb turntable that will have to suffice for awhile.

So, here I go, down the rabbit hole. I figure it won't take much improvement in sound to impress me, since I'm have deaf in one ear and the other ear is still ringing from my last Supertramp concert....

Aloha!

Congrats on the new Pioneer. The 949 is a decent Receiver. One of my Dorm-Mates had one in College boasting it's Quad capability. I still remember him playing "Flight of the Bumble Bee" in Quad with the Bee buzzing around your head between the 4 speakers. In Stereo Mode, that rig delivers an honest 60 WPC, so you will have plenty of power for normal listening. Speakers? That will be the fun part. So many choices. Everyone here will give you reasons.... independent listener/owner biased reasons... why the JBL xx or the Infinity yy or the Klipsch zz is the way to go, but the only way you will know is to listen to a pair - if you can - with that Receiver.

Welcome to AK and enjoy the ride. :)

Back
Top Bottom