Something you wouldn't have though of.

If you've ever noticed the Japanese people in mass wearing dust masks outdoors, it is that species of Cedar's pollen that they are wearing the masks to protect themselves from.

Given my sensitivity to certain species of wood, i'm not sure i'd want speakers made of that stuff in my house unless i knew the wood was well sealed.

Given my sensitivity to certain species of wood, i'm not sure i'd want speakers made of that stuff in my house unless i knew the wood was well sealed.

I make solid body guitar bodies from time to time. The first time I made one out of mahogany, after sanding and all, not wearing a dust mask. I thought I was gonna have to go to the ER! :yes:

Geee.. 30 yr old Cedar trees. Those can live for thousands of years.
Goofball stuff.. in a word.

If you've ever noticed the Japanese people in mass wearing dust masks outdoors, it is that species of Cedar's pollen that they are wearing the masks to protect themselves from.

My old woodworking instructor (I went through formal training) had worked in a racing scull shop where they only used Japanese Cedar. By the time I met him he was so allergic we could not bring any type of Cedar into the shop or his throat would close within minutes.

I spent about six months over 18 years ago hand-sanding Red Cedar shutters. No mask. No extractor fan. GOD knows what damage I did to my lungs.

I do a lot of cedar exterior trim these days. Can't stand the smell or the dust. By the end of the day I can barely breathe.

Back
Top Bottom