William Shatner's $30 Billion Kickstarter Campaign

"With different policies over the last 20 years, all of this could be avoided. Despite the fact that California has suffered from droughts for millennia, people in charge have prevented the building of a single new reservoir or a single new water conveyance system over decades during a period in which California's population has doubled."

Watered down quote

I guess it's only fair to make the point that farmers and John Q. Public, along with Mother Nature, aren't 100% responsible for a lack of water:

An acre foot of water contains 325,851 gallons. Multiply that by 30,000, and you have 9,775,530,000 gallons of water.

For 29 fish.

Isn't a barrel in the back of a van a more reasonable method of transport?

China shall not be denied it's almonds. At least some growers are getting 'smart' and letting their old groves die and planting new drip irrigated crops in pasture land. Still planting in the depleted Cental Valley is risky, but the $$$ from the Asia market is too tempting for some.

Last edited:
China shall not be denied it's almonds. At least some growers are getting 'smart' and letting their old groves die and planting new drip irrigated crops in pasture land. Still planting in the depleted Cental Valley is risky, but the $$$ from the Asia market is too tempting for some.

I read or heard it takes a gallon of water to grow each almond .

Thirsty little buggers .

They were talking about desalination on the radio the other day. Seems they're worried about what to do with the over abundance of fresh water in years when we get plenty of rain. I laugh out loud thinking about that.

Ugh, I simply cannot describe via words how sick I am of hearing people who don't know what they are talking about rattle off about California being a desert (not just here but other forums also).

The only part of California that can legitimately be called a "desert" is the south-eastern section, which comprises the very western portion of the Sonoran Desert. Many portions of the state normally receive quite a large amount of rain, with some northern sections of the state being almost indistinguishable from places like Oregon.

On this map, the Sonoran Desert off to the South-East is very clearly seen. Note how those areas are isolated to the southern and mostly eastern portions of the state.

map_figa_3.jpg

Now let's take a look at the actual population distribution of California. Oh hey, let's look at that, hardly anyone lives in the desert. Imagine that. :rolleyes:

California_population_map.png

Even for those who choose to cling to their hyperbole and false statements, at least acknowledge that the state is composed of more than just it's southern half. I don't think most even understand how separate the northern and southern sections of the state are. Driving from Northern California to Southern California is like driving from Boston to Washington DC. I am in Northern California and I live what is practically walking distance from the Sacramento–San Joaquin River Delta where millions of gallons of fresh water flow out into the ocean every single damned day. For some strange reason, I really don't feel like I need water piped in from anywhere else :no:

Last Night: "Our April storm delivered right on target. An inch plus of rain in the foothills, 4-6" of snow at Tahoe and a foot plus on the summit. Snow fell down to 5000. Nice!!"

We will take it. It is gorgeous today in the Northern Sierra Foothills. No we are not going to drain Spaulding to fill pools in San Fernando.

So far, this thread's OK, but it started out with Shatner's humorous proposal, and has wound up discussing real issues, then turned a little snarky. Common when things head into politics, so please keep it civil, and non-political. Thanks!

All of them? Pretty stoopid place to put a state, eh. <G>

Not really all that original an idea though. They've been talking about bringing water down from Canada for years now.

Not to mention those recent earthquakes in Oklahoma are probably just the left coast drilling towards the Great Lakes thinking we won't notice ...

Shhuuusshh! We have all those horizontal drills going, should be any day now we reach Lake Michigan. We just gotta somehow get rid of all this black oily stuff and that useless natural gas! Oklahoma has enough problems with briny saltwater wastewater.

If it's yellow, let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down. (Idyllwild, CA - lots of places).

Yup! Now noticed that flushing is less than 5 times per day per person, probably less than half.

Realized a lot of savings by watering outside twice a week, and likely to let the back yard grass die off. Having a basin in the sink catching extra water, am watering plants 3-5 times per day with about 2 gallons each.

Cut back how much water being used during showers, turn water off while shaving and teethbrushing. wash full loads only twice a week clothes and dishes, much less flow while cleaning pots and pans.

We'll see how much less we're using this month.

It's a no brainer making water pipelines a reality.
Water is more important to life than oil.

Agreed.

So far, this thread's OK, but it started out with Shatner's humorous proposal, and has wound up discussing real issues, then turned a little snarky. Common when things head into politics, so please keep it civil, and non-political. Thanks!

Hope so. We'd sure like to take that snow that those Nor'easters dump all over the northeast off your hands.

Hey, who needs water when you can have a $68 BILLION (yes, Billion with a B) dollar bullet train that goes from SF to LA that NOBODY except Bay Area Disney fans are going to use!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, who needs water when you can have a $68 BILLION (yes, Billion with a B) dollar bullet train that goes from SF to LA that NOBODY except Bay Area Disney fans are going to use!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have each passenger bring a bottle of water . FIXT :D

Then I guess it's a good thing probably 5% or less of the population in California live in the desert. :thmbsp:

Don't care when your information is incorrect?

Chris

You insisting that we hold to a technical definition of desert to derail a very valid point is derisory. Especially as this is an off subject thread in a freakin' audio board.

As to fact:

South cal's appeal is the climate which is relatively rain free and then descends right into a full blown desert. (frankly, you could not pay me to live in southern cal but to each his own)

NYC receives 50 inches of rain annually, San Diego 10.

Enough said.

Peace brother

Back
Top Bottom