Grills, I don't need no stinking grills...

Are your speakers naked?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Copa1934

My ears are bleeding
Subscriber
Wouldn't it be funny if grills were optional? I can't help wondering how many "guys" would look at the sales person "how much? Really? Keep them, I'll run mine naked".

I only have grills on a couple of my speakers, even though I HAVE grills for all my speakers. Funny how many times I read that people leave there grills off.

So wondering, how many people have naked speakers and how many don't.

All of my speakers have grills. Most are microthin and I can't hear any difference when I take them off, so they stay on.

I don't think it's "more Civilized" as the poll suggests, but that's the way they are, so that's the way they stay. ;)

All of my speakers have grills. Most are microthin and I can't hear any difference when I take them off, so they stay on.

I don't think it's "more Civilized" as the poll suggests, but that's the way they are, so that's the way they stay. ;)
All in jest.

I like many of my speakers without the grills. Some have very cool looking drivers. Others, typically modern "Kabuki", look more like something you would see at a car show with all the chrome and shiny parts.

B & C.

Most of my speakers came with grills, and I use them.

The pair of Behringer B2031Ps I have do not use grills.

I have only one pair of JBLs, a brand that looks like it was made to run without grills.

The rest of my speakers are like most people - they look infinitely better with clothes on.

All in jest.

I like many of my speakers without the grills. Some have very cool looking drivers. Others, typically modern "Kabuki", look more like something you would see at a car show with all the chrome and shiny parts.

No worries. I knew you were kidding. :D

Honestly, my speakers probably don't look that good with naked drivers exposed. Well, Maybe the Optimus 10's with the 8" driver and the big 10" Drone (or Passive Radiator to you younger guys). ;)

I keep the grills on, but love to take them off, especially when demoing my AR3's, as they are so raw, yet sound so good. The visual defies their sound!

My EV Sentry III's look a lot better uncovered plus they don't tempt my cats to sharpen claws on them. The Sentry 500's & 100A's are higher up and I have the covers on them.

I leave mine on only because the one time I took them off, wouldn't you know it I put a tear in the mid driver. :rolleyes: Luckily it was my first cheap Marantz set and it didn't really affect the sound, though I did patch it up, just because.

I only do critical listening when I'm hunting down a problem or setting things up. The rest of the time I'm just enjoying them and having fun - so grills on.

I keep the grills on, but love to take them off, especially when demoing my AR3's, as they are so raw, yet sound so good. The visual defies their sound!
I love that description "raw", fits AR well. I have my AR3a naked all the time. Having the man cave I don't have to worry about kids. And if adults get near my speakers I grab a ruler or similar object and stand next to them. They usually don't need verbal hints at that point.

;)

I think if couldn't see through my Kappa 9s' grills I'd take them off. Something about the sense of loss when they're out of sight.

I have cats,
you guess.......
I learned a cool trick, by accident. One of the grills on my HPM-100 was loose. The cat went up to the grill, reached for it, then got clobbered when it fell on her. She fortunately wasn't injured, but apparently never forgot either. She never touched any grill again after that. Something to think about.

I normally use grills on my speakers. The only set I do not use the grills on are my Cosmostatic's, the grills get put back on while not in use.

I usually keep the grills on the speakers when they are not in use, and take them off prior to a long listening session. If I just need to use the speakers for something quick and/or stupid, I'll go ahead and use them with the grills still on.

The exception being my 4412 Studio Monitors; they didn't come with grills when I got them. They aren't on the floor though, so I don't feel it's a big deal.

Back
Top Bottom