William Shatner's $30 Billion Kickstarter Campaign

Its only crazy because its Shatner. Once the idea sinks in, proposals will come forth.

It may be cheaper in the long run than desalination in its current state.

.....Shatner's plan makes sense to me....which regions of California are getting desperate for fresh water?.....

All of them? Pretty stoopid place to put a state, eh. <G>

Not really all that original an idea though. They've been talking about bringing water down from Canada for years now.

Not to mention those recent earthquakes in Oklahoma are probably just the left coast drilling towards the Great Lakes thinking we won't notice ...

Booming business in painting "lawns" out that way now ...

Lawn-Painting-AP1.jpg

That just ain't normal, ok ... <G>

What makes him think Seattle will want to send any of THEIR WATER to California?

Yep.

It would be interesting to see how this works out as the populace may feel different about it than the government. I know Great Lakes water rights have been a topic of discussion for decades.

And speaking of decades, I watched the movie "Chinatown" a few weeks ago, a 1970s movie about 1940s LA. What was it about?

Getting water to LA...

Looks like another example of piss poor planning and/or execution since this issue has been a problem for 70+ years....

Actually, they should get it from New Orleans so the next time the levees fail they got a place to pump it to...

I am really tempted to plant native grass in my yard, instead of the St. Augustine that is suffering. What really pisses me off is seeing neighbors ignoring the water restrictions that have been in place for several years now, because of the shortage. This spring is the first one in quite some time where we are actually starting to restock the reservoirs near my house. I am actually going to put in some flower beds for the first time since I bought this house, about 5 years ago. I will probably put in mostly ground cover/perennials, because I have my doubts about how long the rain will last.

Water conservation is absolutely critical, but so often gets ignored. I shudder when I think of the impact that our aquifer depletion will have and is already having. Don 't get me started.

plants that don't belong in that area (like almonds -

As an almond grower, that's media hype.

There is as much water on Earth now as there was a million years ago - it's just moving around due to natural phenomenon. The majority of irrigation water either evaporates or filters through the soil and recharges the ground water system. If CA had gotten all the rain that the east coast got, they'd be begging farmers to plant crops to use it up. The dams would be overflowing, and the water discharge would be flooding people in the valley out.

Yep, wasn't that long ago that the private levee burst down your way, and the Yolo bypass was flooded.

I say 50 gallons or so/person at "regular price", then jack up the price to 100 gallons. Then really, really jack up the price over that. Just numbers that came to mind, no research. What they are doing now is.....basically....very little. Hit people where it hurts (wallet) and changes start happening.....just like gas.

Did just a little research.

Estimates vary, but each person uses about 80-100 gallons of water per day.

https://water.usgs.gov/edu/qa-home-percapita.html

BTW, i figure that at curent rates here in SW Ohio, it costs me about $.02 every time someone flushes the toilet.

Hurry up Captain Kirk, our bobabode is suffering! :yes:

:D Beam me up, Chris. I'm doing my El Nino rain dance to some Little Feat right now. :music:

We might take an offer from our local water district to permanently remove the sod/lawn from our property. They'll chip in $2 to $3 per square foot to offset the cost of removal and xeriscaping. :thmbsp:

I like living in the desert, personally.

I'm actually in the coastal zone next to Huntington Beach up in Costa Mesa.
I don't know if I could handle Joshua Tree/Twenty Nine Palms in the summer. 110-120 degrees in the shade is a little too toasty for this California native. :no:

I am really tempted to plant native grass in my yard, instead of the St. Augustine that is suffering. What really pisses me off is seeing neighbors ignoring the water restrictions that have been in place for several years now, because of the shortage. This spring is the first one in quite some time where we are actually starting to restock the reservoirs near my house. I am actually going to put in some flower beds for the first time since I bought this house, about 5 years ago. I will probably put in mostly ground cover/perennials, because I have my doubts about how long the rain will last.

Water conservation is absolutely critical, but so often gets ignored. I shudder when I think of the impact that our aquifer depletion will have and is already having. Don 't get me started.

Just think, we've got 4000 more head of cattle coming thanks to Toyota, with family in tow. Ho do they plan on watering these folks ?

The rain here comes and goes, different every year and always has been. Problem is all the extra people to the North of town and never a plan for more reservoirs to feed them. 30+ years ago I was parking the truck on the resulting beach at Hubbard to swim during the dry spells. We just can't recover anymore.

I guess it's only fair to make the point that farmers and John Q. Public, along with Mother Nature, aren't 100% responsible for a lack of water:

National Marine Fisheries Services (NMFS) only expects 29 out-migrating steelhead a year and that their plan was to release 30,000 acre feet by the end of April to help them reach the Delta.

An acre foot of water contains 325,851 gallons. Multiply that by 30,000, and you have 9,775,530,000 gallons of water.

For 29 fish.

Back
Top Bottom