My TubeDAC 11

Catcher10

Prog-tastic!
Well I received my Grant Fidelity TubeDAC11 yesterday. Packaged very well, secure and all complete. Make sure you check the voltage switch on the back and select as appropriate for your region.

This will be my most extensive review, since I plan on spending soooo much time listening and letting the tube develop fully. I plan to add to this post as the DAC11 warms up.

I have never proclaimed to have the nicest system. Most of my friends like my system, like its sound.....especially since adding the Epos Epic2's.
I listen to mainly vinyl at home, then my ZuneHD 32GB player, finally CDs.

I spent probably an hour fooling with all the connections and playing with them some on my receiver and the DAC. As of last night I did not notice very much difference in the Tube Out versus the Line Out.....So I have it as Tube Out for now.
Lemme backup....

I chose the DAC 11 because it allowed connection of my vintage CDP, which only has RCA analog out, no optical and no coax. I also wanted to connect my TT to the DAC as well as my ZuneHD using the Zune dock which has an optical out, more on that later.

I connected the CDP and TT to the analog inputs on the DAC. Then connected the Tube Out to my Onkyo receivers CD input. I did this for one main reason, my Onkyo has a CD-Direct option which bypasses all tone and balance controls of the Onkyo TX-870.....that natural sound. Depending on the CD mastering, I have not always been able to use CD-Direct, since a lot of CDs sounded too flat, no substance and minimal bass response.....my Epos have fixed most of that though as compared to the Bose I had previous.
The DAC11 has done wonders for my Sony CDP-302.....Every CD I played last night was done thru CD-Direct, bass response was excellent, its all there as needed. Mids/highs are well, as natural and dare I say as "analog" as can be...It was a pleasure listening to CD's again. Warmth does not fully describe the sound of my CDP......natural seems a better description.
I really was not expecting this much improvement since I was not going to the DAC with optical or coax from the CDP........but I am very pleased, I suspect it is 100% due to using the Tube Out option.

Now for the best part......My turntable, ummm WOW! is what came out of my mouth last night.
I have this connected to the line B on the DAC, and again as Tube Out to the Onkyo.
Before I connected to the DAC, I listened to Dream Theater "Best of Times", the quiet intro of piano, then violin and string guitar gave me a good base to compare.
Then I played the vinyl thru the DAC, again all running thru my CD-Direct option, which allowed me to play the vinyl bypassing tone and balance controls.
Detail, clarity, sounstage are words that came to me last night......the quiet passages were quiet. The acoustic guitar was in my room, the violin was well more melancholy than I ever imagined. I also heard sounds I had not heard before on vinyl or on my digital copy, the DAC brought out more sounds from my TT.
I absolutely was not expecting this much improvement from my TT thru the DAC....again I will blame this on the Tube out option.
I then played Yes CTTE side 1.....my original 1972 copy is in great shape. The distorted Steve Howe guitar, was more enjoyable, it was not so screechy, you could hear more during that craziness of CTTE....it makes more sense now. I can't wait to play more vinyl....I need to go shopping soon!

Now for what I wanted a DAC for in the first place.....my ZuneHD 32GB player. Its what I use to play all my digital files and ripped CDs. I run this thru a Zune dock which has an optical out. I connected the supplied toslink cable, selected the OPT option on the DAC, pressed play on my Zune and voila!!! ....nothing happened?? So I started playing with all the connections, did all scenarios I can think of...still nothing, I was bumbed thinking it was not compatible.
Then I remembered.....since I disconnected the Zune dock audio cable, and connected a new optical cable, I needed to "reset" the Zune dock. So I powered down the ZuneHD and also unplugged the Zune dock power supply. Docked the Zune powered it all up and soon as I hit play, the digital light on the DAC 11 came on...click and then I had sound.....and boy did it sound AWESOME!!!!
Natural, warm, vinylie, all those words audiophiles use to express digital music heard thru a DAC...it was true. From the little I listened last night I can already see that digital sound is no more......its all analog sound now.

My Onkyo also has Main In/Pre Out option.......So I connected the DAC to the Main In and played with the DAC as a preamp using the volume control on the DAC....It was very clean sound, almost too clean for my tastes. Occasionally depending on the source material, I still like to use my tone controls and EQ, not as much anymore but I like the option.
I will play with this more later......for now I will leave it connected to the CD-Direct. Maybe once I get closer to 100 hours on the tube, it will not sound so clean as a preamp.....We'll see.

I also found the best setting for the DAC volume knob was between 12o'clock and 2 o'clock position, so I have it right now at 1 o'clock. 2 was too high for my CDP but good for my TT, so I split the difference. But that is my setup and receiver, I don't think I could leave it at 3 o'clock as suggested, I would not get past 8 o'clock on my Onkyo volume control which starts from about 7 o'clock.

I do have another tube coming I purchased from the Tube Store, a JJ Electronics E88CC Gold....I think I will let the supplied tube get to 100 hours then roll this one in and see what happens, what changes and or improves...What a nice option to have in a DAC.

As a final demo last night, I sat my wife down and gave her a A/B comparison on vinyl again using Dream Theater Best of Times, then hit her up with a Prince CD and finally Transatlantic The Whirlwind on the ZuneHD. She sat and stared, was quiet and said....."that sounds nice!"
I now have the nicest system.....I have ever owned. I'm very happy!

And here are some updated pics of my system with the TubeDAC 11

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Awesome! What photo stage are you using for your turntable?

- Woody

I am not......My AT/TT has both Line/Phono out options, and I was running the TT using Line Out to my Onkyo VDP input (weird I know, but it worked), much better sound than the noisy Phono Out to Phono In.
It is now much, much better running the TT thru the DAC.
It was one of my hopes when looking at this DAC since it has analog inputs.

I am not......My AT/TT has both Line/Phono out options, and I was running the TT using Line Out to my Onkyo VDP input (weird I know, but it worked), much better sound than the noisy Phono Out to Phono In.
It is now much, much better running the TT thru the DAC.
It was one of my hopes when looking at this DAC since it has analog inputs.

Cool! I just got an 11 to use as a preamp with a Cary Audio tube power amp. Wish I wasn't so busy, haven't even hooked it up yet and given it a listen. I have two TubeDAC-09's and they are great... Excited about the 11. And you're right, the many inputs and outputs is a huge plus!

- Woody

Congrats. Its quite an amazing piece. I have had mine for quite a while now and still mess around with all the different sounds and possibilities it offers. I too had my TT running through the analog in but after a comment from Mjmct, I have removed it. I already have a tube amp and tube phono pre, so in essence I was just adding another piece in the line. For CDs, flac or internet radio, this thing is AMAZING.
Great description of your findings btw and enjoy.

Yea I hear ya on the phono preamp....but I was looking for that all-in-one option and hoping it would clean up my TT, which it has very much!! but I still would look at a separate phono preamp....but for now I am very happy.

The WOW factor continues....specifically on the vinyl side. I am currently listening to King Crimson ItCotKC (Atlantic SD-19155). Its a good copy, very little surface noise, this is the US issue.
Us progers know the 1st track is so well, distorted, the singing, guitar...very high end screechy. But the Tube DAC11 just pulls that all down and really lets me listen to the music, and again I am hearing music I had not noticed before.
I will say I am listening not on my CD-Direct option, but just with 12 o'clock position tone controls and the Selective Tone/Loudness slider active a bit, this record needs some bass.
I am really, really pleased in how the DAC11 is improving my Audio Technica turntable, the ATP2XN cartridge really sounds nice now.

I'm glad its Friday....a lot of listening this weekend!!!
:banana:

Probably my last entry for awhile......I just spent some time connecting my laptop to the DAC11/USB. Connecting my laptop is not top priority for me, since I use my Zune to listen to my digital files and ripped CD's, plus I really don't have a good setup for a laptop as you see in the pic.
I have to say I was quite amazed at the improvement I got thru the DAC11. I auditioned all 3 outputs and I believe I rather the Tube Out option. The DAC Out was nice, real nice...but I felt like I was just listening to really good CD, like a SACD or DVD, but it was nice.
I much prefer the toned down, tube warmth of Tube Out.

I use the Zune Software so I had to make an adjustment within the options of the software to play WMA files, once that was done I had sound. I am very sure I do not have anywhere close to a nice audio quality soundcard, this laptop is old and has basic audio since it is my work laptop, XP Pro, setup for business not media. I am sure if I had a nicer laptop setup for media and a better sound card, I could be blown away.....But again, I am not looking to play files thru my laptop.

I also did A/B/C comparison with CDP/OPT(Zune dock)/USB laptop with both some Porcupine Tree and Marillion....Again the DAC Out was nice, but my ears preferred the Tube Out. Also Line Out did not do much for me......I guess I am hook, line and sinker with the Tube Out.

Bottom line is on all my source inputs the Tube DAC 11 is performing well beyond expectations....And with only about 15 hours of burn time.

Hopefully I covered my initial experience and was able to help anyone on the fence about buying a DAC 11......Its well worth the money and sonic improvement!

Cheers!

Here u see why I don't have a good setup for my laptop...Porcupine Tree on the Zune software, Marillion on the Zune dock.

picture.php

Back to listening now!

I agree......maybe after about 30-40 burn hours...so about Tuesday!? LOL!!!!

Spinning right now Pink Floyd DSOtM.......just brilliant!

Back
Top Bottom