Cleaning Infinity Driver Cones

So I snagged a set of RS-II's. They needed some cleanup on the cabinets which I have done.

They also need the woofers cleaned but I dont know what I should use to do that.

Just some soap and water, a lint free cloth with nothing on it, etc.

Figured I would ask for guidance first before just going at it and screwing up a driver.

I clean the polypropylene cones with Goof Off, the Professional Strength stuff that comes in the metal can. It will not damage the polypropylene and will clean a lot of gunk off from different glues, etc.

Last edited:
I clean the polypropylene cones with Goof Off, the Professional Strength stuff that comes in the metal can. It will not damage the polypropylene and will clean a lot of gunk off from different glues, etc.

Thanks. Saw that recommended somewhere else.

Will it harm the foam on the woofer at all? I am planning on using it both on the midrange drivers as well as the 10" woofers.

If it gets into the foam, it can loosen glue and also make the foam kind of expand and you get a spot that may be 'popped' from the cone a little bit. So just be judicious in it's use. If you get an accidental spot where this happens, just slowly nurse it back to perfection as the Goof Off dries and the glue begins to re-solidify.

For the poly mids, try this: Meguiars vinyl/plastic/rubber conditioner. It will make the cones shine and will bring the butyl rubber surrounds back to a thing of beauty, cleaning and conditioning them.

If it gets into the foam, it can loosen glue and also make the foam kind of expand and you get a spot that may be 'popped' from the cone a little bit. So just be judicious in it's use. If you get an accidental spot where this happens, just slowly nurse it back to perfection as the Goof Off dries and the glue begins to re-solidify.

Gotcha. Not too much a problem on the 10" woofers as I am likely going to be refoaming them all at once just so its done, rather than 2 and then 2 more later on.

For the poly mids, try this: Meguiars vinyl/plastic/rubber conditioner. It will make the cones shine and will bring the butyl rubber surrounds back to a thing of beauty, cleaning and conditioning them.

Thanks. I will use that on the Poly Mids. The speakers overall just need a good cleaning, especially the drivers so I wanted to bring them back to what they looked like in their prime.

The boxes had a bunch of mildew on them that I wiped off along with dust, and naturally this accumulated on the drivers.

So far however they all work fine, even the bubble wrap surround lol. Go Figure.

Back
Top Bottom