Pulled the trigger on Genesis 6.1

Army

Addicted Member
Three weeks ago my wife stops me and asks what I kept looking at on my I-phone. I handed her the phone and she says wow those are pretty, yes they are and sound good I would think. She says could I put those in the living room instead of those BIG infinity thingies. Why yes of course you can honey all you have to do is buy them. She said go a head get them I like them; my jaw hit the ground. :D

They arrived late Friday afternoon, naturally I had to pay to play. So I spent plenty of time doing honey do's and finally got them out of the crates Saturday afternoon.

That was half the battle, getting them into the house took two men and boy to lift and carry. They say they weigh 145 lbs. each and they felt like solid lead to manhandle.

Out of the box I wasn't sure I was going to like them. Bass was massive and a little boomy. Midrange was good and highs the same as Infinity emits. At first blush they sounded very neutral, which isn't bad, but not what I was expecting or hoping for.

Sunday I invited Cdfac over and I spent some more time with them. I turned the bass gain down to 4.5 from 6 and wow things started to change big time. All of a sudden the bass was tight and outstanding, midrange seemed sweeter.

Chris came over an hour later and we tuned them a little more and settled at bass gain of 5 and now I'm very happy with the 6.1's. :thmbsp:

Attachments

• dad07.14.14 046.jpg
    dad07.14.14 046.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 197
It's very important to establish a good LF foundation...and for more reasons than just killer bass. :yes: Isn't it something how LF response can dictate mid range character as well? :scratch2:

Those look extremely nice. Congrats!

Oh...and what "big Infinity thingies" did they replace?

Sweet.
I like those round planar tweeters for their dispersion and sound.
I also dig what Nudell did with cone drivers on the RSII.
Someday I'd love to hear a pair of Genesis, meanwhile I'd like to hear more comparisons from you and Chris.

Wow! Those look great! I'd also like to hear more about how they sound after they settle in a bit.

Too much of a good thing definitely muddies up the sound!
Kinda like moving lawn before listening to your system after a long week :eek:)

Sorry Tom; I ment to quote ya in regards to the bass...computer is being a PITA

Infinities thingies were the IRS Deltas. She thought they didn't fit her living room LOL

Last edited:
It's very important to establish a good LF foundation...and for more reasons than just killer bass. :yes: Isn't it something how LF response can dictate mid range character as well? :scratch2:

Those look extremely nice. Congrats!

Oh...and what "big Infinity thingies" did they replace?

Army??? Holy cow, how ya been son?!

Nice speakers!

RC

Dang Ron how you been buddy; long time...
Any chance you have some time to play in maybe September?

I'm thinking early fall for a gathering :yes:

:jawdrop:Frequency Response: 16Hz to 36kHz, +/- 3dB:jawdrop:

I just had too...Ken!

Damn I can barely hear after Mama has to have the lawn mowed!

I gotta go by feel on those low bass notes!

Starting to think she likes it that way at my age :D

Had to go the Genesis route also a couple of years ago. Bought a pair of used APM1's. Then bought another pair cheaply for spare parts a year later. I still try to compare them to the 4.5's. Lots of similarities and at the same time different. Takes awhile to get used to them. But I like them. You should have alot of available adjustments that can be made. While not the 6.1's that you have the APM's are the beginning line of that style.

Play Joe Banamassa's High Water Everywhere from the Live at Royal Albert Hall song. You get that song dialed in right you have your speakers set up perfectly then!

I forgot to mention VOLUME. Do that song with volume and if they don't make your head look for Joe when he starts his guitar playing, or makes you jump, then they aren't set up correctly yet. The bass is tight and impactful.

Dang Ron how you been buddy; long time...
Any chance you have some time to play in maybe September?

I'm thinking early fall for a gathering :yes:

I've been well.
Long weekend, yes! Maybe you can get that Jay guy, Glen, Greg and a few other old timers onboard :yes: Your kind of a half way point between me and KC.

RC

I thought they were awesome. I can't wait for the get-together! I'll bring some goodies up.

Wow been forever since I posted on AK!

I owe a HUGE apology to all my close friends that I got all pumped up about a get together at my place this passed summer!

Shortly after I posted as I was getting all my toys out to have one hellva get together, my basement flooded with sewage...SHIT!

$30k later: thank gawd for insurance... and now I'm posting again and less stressed!

Sorry fella's no get together this year...

My job tanked and I'm moving...

New job that's awesome :banana:

Starting over in Minnesota...fingers crossed!

So here's the story; I'll make it short...

The Genesis 6.1's were underwhelming at first blush!
I couldn't figure out why; I had my Denon POA6600 monoblocks hooked up to my Nikko preamp and I thought they sounded just ok.

I knew they should be world beaters, they were made by Arnie Neudel: same dude that made my Infinity RS 1.5, RS 2.5, RS.4.5 and my IRS Delta's

Damn I had enough power and was thinking about getting rid of them :scratch2:

Something Echowars said to me lately stuck... I wish you'd get new gear, I'm tired of fixing your busted up shit!
Yeah Glenn I'm sick of that shit too :D

Did some research...here, after seeing a Craigslist offering and bought a Denon PMA-2000IVR integrated amp.

Holy shit the Genesis are singing and sound a whole lot like my first loves...only better!

Dear gawd I like happy ending...don't you :D

Once I land after the move...give me time... I promise to put on an audio show of my favorite things... ok things that make excellent sound IMHO and make me extremely happy thanks to AK and listening to my good friend here!

Belly up to the bar the margs are on me, in the near future!

PS bring your tunes, I listen to shit that's all over the place lol

Congrats on the fine speakers. I have not heard this particular model, but have heard the Genesis 300. They make fine loudspeakers, as did Infinity.

Back
Top Bottom