Kappa 8 and tube power ?

Infinity nutcase.
My Kappa 8's are now fully restored to original condition. With the recent purchase of a new Eagle 7A amp, things have really come together. Which has me wondering about bi-amping now.

With the 7A on the bottom end, what kind of tube amp power would be needed to run the top end.

I know very little about tube amps and they're power rating, I do know I like the sound.

So has anyone tried this ? And what would be a good wattage.

Likely get more than one divergent answer on this topic, tube amps versus SS watts
and the need for lots of power for your Kappa's.

Some say it won't work others say it does.

My Gammas require/request more power on top than on bottom...
My guess for you would be min 100watts, with 200watts being warm and comfy.
I did say guess......
D

I like my Audio Research d115. 100wpc seems to do very well on the top end of my IIb's. Maybe a nice Arc, VTL, Cj, or Quicksilver...what ever would pop up at a bargan price in good working order would be my pick.
Jim

I have been thinking that one of these days I need to dig out my Kappa 8's and give them a try on a tube amp I have. My amp is only rated for 50 watts but I have been using them on a pair of QLS-2's for over two years now with no problems. I don't like the music to the point my neighbors will complain, but I don't live in an apartment or anything like that, at times I like a symphony to sound like a real symphony. From my past recollection I don't remember my Kappa 8's to be any less efficient than my QLS-2's, in fact them seemed a to me to be a bit more efficient. And I should add that the Quantum Line 2's that I am using are the ones that are not bi amp able so I am running both the top and the Watkins with my amp.

If money is a problem, some folks did have some nice things to say about those older NYAL moscode amps working well with the big infinities for the mids.

Ken makes a good point. 50 watts may be enough for you, depending upon how loud you require your speakers to go. I once experimented with my Gammas:
Put a Crown D60 on the woofers, and a Marantz 8 on tops....Beautiful! But not enough headroom/volume for me. The experiment led to buying a pair of VTL Compact 100s. The VTL's are exceptional, but ultimately also run out of headroom at certain times.
Too many amps, so little time!
Good luck in your venture.

Dave

Thanks you guys ! Your awesome. I was thinking maybe 50 watts would be the starting point.

Dobbhill, nice speakers you have there :music:.....someday :yes:.

Our local vintage shop has a few tube amps, he's a good guy so I'll see if I can leave him a deposit and try a few.

Back
Top Bottom