Please Post your Infinity speakers

Only Infinities I have owned, and the only ones worthwhile from the RS-X,000 series IMO.

StackedInfinitiesA.jpg

Let's see ... I have a pair of Quantum 2s that I'm currently working with a third cabinet to convert to a mirror-imaged pair. There's also a pair of Reference Studio Monitors and RSbs (the next model down) in use as rear channels for the former and a bedroom system for the latter. I've also an extremely rare pair of ES-1 electrostatic headphones with the ME-10D energizer.

I'm a bit lacking for pictures, but here are my Quantum 2s in my system as it was way, way back in September 2004. Very much has changed since then as this was my first foray into good audio.
Quantum2old.jpg

The Q2s weren't fully operational at the time thanks to broken tinsel leads on the domes, but I was using the Watkins woofers as stereo subwoofers for the Magnepans. It was an excellent combination as Watkins bass is just as tight as it is deep.

And a picture of my pair of ES-1s. I've been having a bias voltage problem, so they're not working yet. I'm not going to give up on them, though.
ES1a.jpg

- JP

RS 2.5's upstairs setup and downstairs setup :thmbsp:

And I got rid of the darts BTW :D

Attachments

• 100_1571.jpg
    100_1571.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 721
Last edited:
Quantum 2 Pics

These are early pics when I first received these, so please pardon the holy woofers. So, pics are "as purchased" from an Ebay seller in Toronto for a very reasonable price. These were one owner speakers, purchased for 1800 $CDN in the late the 70's I was told.

Woofers have since been refoamed and the diaphragm replaced in one Emit tweeter. Still have to purchase a power resistor for the Midrange driver xover circuit in one speaker. Have removed, cleaned and re-installed the control pots in one speaker (currently have the woofer out to do the resistor). Will do the pot cleanup when replacing the resistor in the other good speaker so it matches the resistor in the broken one.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

More to follow.

Attachments

• Q2 No 520 Controls_1.JPG
    Q2 No 520 Controls_1.JPG
    172.3 KB · Views: 4,885
  • Q2s frt with Grills.jpg
    Q2s frt with Grills.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 4,915
  • Q2s frt no grills.JPG
    Q2s frt no grills.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 4,904
  • Q2 No 520 frt no grill.JPG
    Q2 No 520 frt no grill.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 4,877
  • Q2 No 061 frt no grill.JPG
    Q2 No 061 frt no grill.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 4,893
Quantum 2 Pics cont'd

Here are views from different angles.

attachment.php

Unfortunately I dinged these otherwise pristine cabinets in the moving process. :tears: They are brutally heavy even for two people to move around a house. (Next pic)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The significance of this next pic is that there is no rear Emit Tweeter on the upper rear panel. Some versions had one here. That round piece of cloth covers a port that I "think" goes to the back of the Mid-bass driver, but needs to be confirmed. It's a design feature I would like to understand more about (for another thread).
attachment.php

Attachments

• Q2 No 520 RH side Cab.JPG
    Q2 No 520 RH side Cab.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 4,991
  • Q2 No 520 LH side Cab.JPG
    Q2 No 520 LH side Cab.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 4,976
  • Q2 No 061 RH side Cab.JPG
    Q2 No 061 RH side Cab.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 5,055
  • Q2 No 061 LH side Cab.JPG
    Q2 No 061 LH side Cab.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 5,014
  • Q2 No 061 Rear Top no-Tweeter.JPG
    Q2 No 061 Rear Top no-Tweeter.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 4,961
i listen mostly to my kappa 9 ,but the rsIIIb is better for tubes did not need too much power and has a very good crossover inside (underrated)

junkaudio said:
RSIIIB they have a very fast midrange tweeter don´t know how to tell the sound in words they are fast

Junkaudio,
I always have a difficult time describing the sonic aspects of loudspeakers as well. I can say this though, the RS1, RSII's and RSIII's are known for great crossovers. The great aspect of them is that they have a very steep octave rolloff which forces the appropriate signal frequencies to the correct drivers without overlaps. It is the overlaps that create a muddier sound in that a driver is handling a portion of a frequency that it is not best suited for, oftentimes driving them past their designed limits. That is maybe why they sound fast to you, because the steep rolloff provides a 'fast sound'.
Vito

BTW. Nice pictures yall. I will get some up soon.

Last edited:
I have a set of RS 1.5's and love them. I was going to sell the drivers and crossovers to JP and as our talking back and forth progressed my curiosity was raised and I wanted to hear them. Well, I feel bad for getting JP's hopes up but I sure did discover a great speaker that I had owned for around 4 years. Glad I took the time to put them together and have a listen. Here are a few pics of the ragged out cabs. I have the drivers complete but am still using the cabs. The pics can be seen here: http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=54521

Here are mine.

Kappa 6s with VMPS sub, crosed over electronically at 100 Hz.
Crescendo center with EMIT-R tweet
My office system, Primus 150s.

Attachments

• Infinity_Kappa_6_Leftt_and_VMPS_Sub 1.JPG
    Infinity_Kappa_6_Leftt_and_VMPS_Sub 1.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 448
  • Primus 150.JPG
    Primus 150.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 237
  • RS6 Kappa ts.pdf
    109.9 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
RS4001's in my living room on the HT setup. (one wonky mid though if i press lightly on the upper edge it will stay on for awhile) I'm having a hell of a time finding a replacement for the original polyspherite mid.

My HT is mostly infinity.
Pair of Beta 20s
Going to get a beta center
and a pair of pimus rears.
For the price it really is pretty good.

I also have a pair of
RS-es
RS-9

I have not been able to find anything that sounds good with the older infinitys. They all sound way to bright.

Any suggestions

Quantum 3s

I have 2 sets of Quantum 3s ,both work excellent and have had the woofers refoamed an d I have done some tinsel repairs on the midranges.1 set I redid the crossover to allow biamping.The other set has a hole someone cut in the front of cabinet to install a Hpm tweeter when the emits went bad.I installed emits and disconnected the other tweeter.Cannot see it behind the grills.I also have some Quantm jrs and 2 sets of WSC 1a's.These are the original speakers that Wlliam Watkins designed for the watkins woofer before he sold his design to Infinity.They are 3 way with paper cone tweeters and mids with the dual voice coil watkins woofer.Exceptionally fine speakers .I also have some rs8a in my living room for home theater setup.Hopefully I can get some pics later.

Back
Top Bottom