Fix My Set-Up

jjwalburn

Hey all, this is 95% geared toward playing records on a turntable that will arrive soon. Please tell me what's what with what I've done. My system consists of a pair of Pioneer BS22-LR's, a pair of Dayton B652's painted white, a Realistic STA-80, and on the little table in the corner I planned to put my turntable. This room is tiny.

Critical feedback is welcomed.

Attachments

• FRONT.JPG
    FRONT.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 114
  • SIDE 1.JPG
    SIDE 1.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 88
  • SIDE 2.JPG
    SIDE 2.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Nice little setup mate.

Since the room is very small, I would place only one pair of speakers when I'm listening to them so as to allow as much room as possible around them.

In fact, I'd get rid of the Dayton and use the proceeds to buy a couple of smallish subwoofers.

If you're unable to get rid of the drawer and place the speakers on proper speaker stands, at least add some blu-tack on the bottom of the speakers.

Good idea having the tt on a separate table. You don't want vibration from the speakers to the tt.

If you can, try installing a few absorption panels behind the speakers and above your couch head. Place some on the closed right wall.

Surely and hopefully Michael 'Yoda' tomlinmgt will chime in and provide more learned advice :)

Nice little setup mate.

Since the room is very small, I would place only one pair of speakers when I'm listening to them so as to allow as much room as possible around them.

In fact, I'd get rid of the Dayton and use the proceeds to buy a couple of smallish subwoofers.

If you're unable to get rid of the drawer and place the speakers on proper speaker stands, at least add some blu-tack on the bottom of the speakers.

Good idea having the tt on a separate table. You don't want vibration from the speakers to the tt.

If you can, try installing a few absorption panels behind the speakers and above your couch head. Place some on the closed right wall.

Surely and hopefully Michael 'Yoda' tomlinmgt will chime in and provide more learned advice :)

I agree with this advice totally. I'm big on one pair of speakers per set-up - having another pair there basically just adds more points for sound to reflect off of, and being so close to the speaker makes it that much worse. Getting subs will fill out that bottom end you don't have now and bring your set-up up a couple of notches.

The room treatments will also make a big difference, especially in the size of space you have there.

Overall good choice I think, those speakers should perform well in that space. :thmbsp:

Sitting as close as you are to the speakers and up against the rear wall one of your biggest issues is going to be reflection off that rear wall. Try throwing some pillows up on the back of the couch behind your head and see what that does. Also, if you're going to leave the speakers positioned on that dresser top you might want to bring them forward flush with the front edge. As they sit they're getting some diffraction from that hard surface just beneath them. Position them so the front of the speaker is flush with the front edge of the dresser and the wave of sonic content radiating downard now goes to the absorptive carpet....which is fairly inert compared to the hard, reflective dresser top. The downside to this is you may compromise the amount of bass the little -22's are making as you move them away from the wall...which is giving them boundary reinforcement (boosting bass). You'll just have to try it and see.

- Michael

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom