Santana Vinyl - Crazy Price?

I've this album, excellent but at 50.00$ and especially at 100.00$ where it was before, wayyyyyyyy over priced.
5.00$ in good condition and up to 10.00$ (maybe) in near mint condition.

As we all know, prices are governed by supply and demand and especially by emotion and follow the leader.:D

I like is warning in red, "Does not ship to Canada" thank god for that.
Canadian don't like scammers.:thmbsp:

Why is it that people never understand how free enterprise works, yet they claim to want it? The alternative to 'crazy prices' is having someone set the price for you, typically a government agency. Is that really what people want? No? Then crazy pricing it is. The market will decide how crazy it really is; or isn't. Nothing 'scammy' about it.

Everybody wants free trade until they don't care for the price. Then they want someone to fix it so they're not offended by seeing a price they believe is crazy high.

You are partly right.
Price are governed by supply and demand. If an item is in demand, and the supply is low, then...
People will make their own minds. If they like the prices, go for it, if not, don't buy it.

Asking 100.00$ than cutting the price by 50%, is a well known technique that is highly frowned upon by the consumer association. It is not legal for one thing, and highly detrimental to the consumers.

As I mentioned before, this is a scammer, and this type of sellers gives a bad name to the honest people that try to ply their wares on eBay.
Also, it gives a bad name to eBay. The few bad apples will always ruin a good place.

Asking 100.00$ than cutting the price by 50%, is a well known technique that is highly frowned upon by the consumer association. It is not legal for one thing, and highly detrimental to the consumers.

It is perfectly legal in the US. I can't speak for other countries. But here, a seller is free to set whatever price they like and then discount it to make it seem more attractive. Perfectly OK. Caveat Emptor - let the buyer beware.

Well, it's pretty much just typical eBay. Just list it high to start, see if it sells, and if it doesn't, lower the price.

I do think that the seller needs to learn how to describe the condition of vinyl though. I'm pretty sure that his description of "Good" condition doesn't really mean it's in G condition.

Why is it that people never understand how free enterprise works, yet they claim to want it? The alternative to 'crazy prices' is having someone set the price for you, typically a government agency. Is that really what people want? No? Then crazy pricing it is. The market will decide how crazy it really is; or isn't. Nothing 'scammy' about it.

Everybody wants free trade until they don't care for the price. Then they want someone to fix it so they're not offended by seeing a price they believe is crazy high.

I am not offended by the price I was wondering what motivated the seller to set it so high, it's "crazy" to think someone will pay that much.

If these regularly sold for $100.00, setting it at 50% off would be another story, but this is clearly an attempt to falsely validate the high price IMO.

You should really check that.
This approach to pricing is not legal in, USA, Canada, New Zealand, England, France, Australia, Germany, and many, many more.

It is legal to ask 5,000.00$ for that vinyl, or 300.00$ or whatever, but illegal to advertise it at one price and than subtract 50% or whatever.
It is called a false sale, a technique to attract unwary buyers.
Ask "unnamed" big company why they paid larges fines in the past 5 to 8 years.

It doesn't mean something is koshers because one sees it all the time.
There is an honest way to do business, and only one.

You should really check that.
This approach to pricing is not legal in, USA, Canada, New Zealand, England, France, Australia, Germany, and many, many more.

It is called a false sale, a technique to attract unwary buyers.
Ask "unnamed" big company why they paid larges fines in the past 5 to 8 years.

C'mon - give it a NAME ...

C'mon - give it a NAME ...

Well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,OK,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but just for you,

They are well known in USA, Canada, and they are veryyyyyyy big.
Some are very old, very, very, old.:D

But seriously, on this forum, you can't start insulting the big guns, not very wise.
But if you are like anybody else, shop, watch news, read papers, you know.

You are partly right.
Price are governed by supply and demand. If an item is in demand, and the supply is low, then...
People will make their own minds. If they like the prices, go for it, if not, don't buy it.

As I mentioned before, this is a scammer, and this type of sellers gives a bad name to the honest people that try to ply their wares on eBay.
Also, it gives a bad name to eBay. The few bad apples will always ruin a good place.

Why I never shop on eBay. + I don't like the concept of PayPal. It offends me.

There is a guy on Kijiji here in Ottawa who starts off his ad with a Pioneer PL 12D Turntable $50, and then you look in the ad and it says the Turntable is sold, but there is a an Onkyo receiver for $190. Finally, it used to say that if the ad is there, the item is available. That has been removed since I called him on it.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-electronics/...amp/523851410?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

The ad was 6 minutes old and it said that the turntable was sold.

Yup! The old Bait and Switch Scam!

I am not offended by the price I was wondering what motivated the seller to set it so high, it's "crazy" to think someone will pay that much.

If these regularly sold for $100.00, setting it at 50% off would be another story, but this is clearly an attempt to falsely validate the high price IMO.

There is actually someone doing that here as well. I've been thinking that he hopes someone new will see the price go down and jump at it before someone else does. Not realizing that even discounted as it is, it is way above going rate. In this way, he artificially increases the value of his pieces.

That's my theory...

Here's a suggestion for this dude.
Since it also has make an offer. Send him an offer for $1.00. When it is rejected, send another one for $1.01 and continue to increase it by a penny till he replies back to you to ask yo to stop offering. Then you can tell him that his tactics of selling bug you as well and perhaps he will stop using this method of marketing. Worst case scenario is you might get it cheap.

So is it illegal when a car dealer says the MSRP of a car is $40,000 but he will sell it to you for 20% off?

No, this is perfectly legal.
Car dealers have other ways to fool the public, but not the one I'm referring to.
Scams can be legals, and some are illegals, it all depend how you approach/apply it.

Here's a suggestion for this dude.
Since it also has make an offer. Send him an offer for $1.00. When it is rejected, send another one for $1.01 and continue to increase it by a penny till he replies back to you to ask yo to stop offering. Then you can tell him that his tactics of selling bug you as well and perhaps he will stop using this method of marketing. Worst case scenario is you might get it cheap.

You are capped at 3 offers, otherwise good plan :)

My local record store has at least 2 copies of this for $6, or $3 on 50% off Wednesdays (hey, look what today is!)

Value Village has something similar on Tuesday on some items, but them, they use the tax and the age approach. Good enough for me. :D

Offered $0.99.

False advertising is illegal and certain pricing tactics fall into that. Check out the FTC website for more information. I used to work with a guy who was CMO at a major retailer that got fined for this stuff. He was REALLY vigilant about pricing after that. E.g raising prices before a sale so that the sale price is really the every day price kind of stuff.

Back
Top Bottom