help! mica insulators stuck to heatsink

hopjohn

Silver Face
I'm restoring a sa-9100 and the t-03 mica insulators have pulled off in layers with the final layer absolutely stuck to the heatsink. It does not appear that the insulator was applied with thermal compound but maybe some type of epoxy, not sure, but its clear in color and damned if I can get it off. Anyone encountered this? What to do?

Single edge razor blade or square X-Acto knife blade? Hone X-Acto blade for no burrs so you don't scrape the heat sink.

There were some years when thermal transfer compound wasn't used, instead they used a clear glue.

You should already have planned for new mica insulators, but you don't want to damage the surface. Acetone seems to be a good solvent, MAYBE wd-40 but no guarantees.

They stick to a degree, but the sharp clean edge of a new blade can catch the edge and pop them.

Does Home Depot carry acetone? To this point every bit of it has needed scraped off. Two hours in and still not done cleaning one of the two heatsinks. PITA!!!

Get'r done.

A 4 hour job in the end. The razor blade was my best friend. Wouldnt have been so bad with smaller hands and the fins further apart.

I had this on a SX-1010 I did some work on. First one I scraped it off (not a good idea), then I tried WD-40 and some other solvents. Then I remembered I had some MEK from refoaming my Boston A-400's. Nasty stuff, but it cleaned off the glue in no time.

Yes your right, both acetone and non-acetone polish removers are sold. Read the label to make sure you have the pure acetone one. There are no other ingredients on the label if Iam not mistaken.

Meh... Thinner, acetone, benzene, sodium hydroxide, tricholoethylene, nitric acid, high order (octanitro) cubanes - all that stuff is child's play. You need to get serious:

28532_6089-30.jpg

Honestly, softening the adhesive with acetone and a little scraping should do fine, unless you're in a real hurry. ;)

Back
Top Bottom