Saturday Oct. 26, 2013 Fall Frankenfest Workshop thread

audiodon

Addicted Member
The Frankenfest will be happening October 26th 2013 in Clinton, MA.
The main thread with information and directions is here: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=541030
There is also a buy/sell/swap thread in BarterTown, but you must be a subscriber to view it. If you are a subscriber, this link will get you there: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=541032
If you're not a subscriber, subscribe to AK for $25 for a year and then, if you are not an audio industry professional, you can buy and sell gear.

This post contains a history and links to other threads about workshops. This is how we keep track of workshops and threads from past NE AK'er get-togethers.

Here's a summary from the Summer Sweatfest 2013 workshop thread copied from this post:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=528034
This post is a list of all suggested workshops from the OctoberFrankenFest thread and the WinterFrankenFest thread.
These are for future reference:
1. Turntable Setup
2. Cartridge Alignment
3. Headphone Rig Showcase
4. Build and/or use a stylus microscope
5. DAC shootout
6. Nelson Pass gear listening.

Any workshops that don't happen but have inquiries will also be listed here.

Here is a link to the WinterFrankenFest workshop thread. The information on what workshops are and what they can be is here.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=495876

Last edited:
Workshops require three things:
1. Enough people have to be interested in a workshop to request and then attend it.
2. Someone has to agree to deliver the workshop.
3. Space has to be made available and planning needs to be completed.

These are not onerous professional workshops.
They're fun informal clinics on subjects of audio interest by and for enthusiasts.

If you have a suggestion for a workshop, please post it in this thread.
If you have knowledge and are willing to perform a workshop, please post it in this thread and I will contact you to coordinate time and location and drum up interest.
If you have knowledge but are not experienced in delivering a workshop or are curious about how this works and would like assistance with planning, please let me know.

This Frankenfest may present critical listening opportunities on the second floor.
Let's take advantage of that.

Last edited:
No workshop interest?
What about a SET and single driver listening session on the second floor?

I have Omega Super 3Ts single driver speakers, a subwoofer, a preamp, a disk player, and my trusty 8 watt Inspire by Dennis Had.

Bring your SET and FLEA amps.
Wanna try your turntable?

Any interest?

I would love to partake of a workshop with turntables. I am in the process of bringing back to life 2 broadcast turntables. I got a Technics and a Gates. I can't guarantee I will be there this go round. Just listed the house for sale and have to find one to move to.
If I am able to come, I can bring those 2 tables.

Possible stuff to do other than eat and oogle gear - not that there is anything wrong

Hey Todd - GLWT (house)S -

I too, would be interested in a Turntable set-up workshop, and like others I am sure, can bring an example in need of proper set-up.

I would ALSO be interested in a critical listening session, perhaps along the lines Don suggests - SET / Flea amps, though at present I have nothing along those lines built to travel (breadboard only - the Darling..)

Chinacave / Ian

I'd definitely be up for a turntable setup session and yes, I have a candidate or two that I can bring. I'll also bring my microscope but can't guarantee that you or I will be able to conclusively diagnose any stylus with it. You certainly will be able to see it pretty well. --Dan

For a turntable setup session, we now have interested attendees.
Do we have an interested presenter?
My thoughts are:
1. Cartridge mounting on a headshell.
2. Set up sequence (when to adjust VTA, skating, renewing dried damping fluid, dealing with knife bearings, how to set up so there's no distortion at the end of a record, etc. . . ).
We should keep it relatively simple and short. Does anything think this should be a "renovate an old idler wheel based turntable with stiff grease in the gears" kind of workshop?
Relatively short is an hour or less. Collaboration is encouraged. So, if someone doesn't feel confident about everything, two working together can collaborate and cover more ground.
I'm thinking we should keep this to one tonearm type. So, 9", 12", linear tracker, pick one. Differences for moving magnet or moving coil carts?

Another option suggested to me offline is a "so you want to learn about tube gear" workshop - with an introduction to a schematic and relating the schematic to the bits under the chassis of a relatively simple amp.
This could lead to interested participants considering restoring a vintage unit in relatively good working order as entry-level techs. Yes . . .we want to empower you.

Last edited:
Don, thanks for taking leadership of the workshop coordination. In terms of turntable workshops, I'd suggest that we have two focused sessions, one at the October FrankenFest and the other at the next one.

Oct, '13 TT Workshop: Mounting cartridges and setting geometry using gauges, inspecting/cleaning stylii, adjusting tracking force and anti-skate on a TT, and dialing in your TT/cartridge setup by listening and/or using tools meant for that like test LPs, scope, etc.

Next FF TT Workshop: Bringing a vintage Dual or other idler drive TT back to life and up to spec. Check/lube motor, check/clean idler drive, clean out and replace arm/changer mechanism lube, check/adjust/lube arm bearings, adjust/refill cueing mechanism, etc.

I'm not qualified to lead either of these but would be happy to help with logistics and can provide the test TTs for each.

The potential "So you want to learn about tube gear" workshop won't happen for this get-together. It'll go on the list that starts these threads moving forward though.

Hi Don,

Funny you should mention the 2nd TT workshop idea. I am going to be tackling that job very soon on a KLH Model 26. Depending upon what I run into, I may be asking folks for ideas during the fest :)

I could certainly provide support on the vintage tube amp workshop when it comes around.

Dave

I would love to take part into the SET/single driver workshop. I own a pair of Hoyt-Bedford Type 1 Speakers, but I'm not certain I'll be able to easily get them in our tiny car.

Last edited:
dlieb,
There'll be room for those speakers if you bring them.
I still encourage folks to bring their Class A solid state amps as well as their SET tube gear.

No workshop interest?
What about a SET and single driver listening session on the second floor?

I have neither a SET amp nor a single driver setup to bring, but if you are trying to gauge interest in such a workshop, I am a curious party and most definitely would attend. I have not yet experienced either of these approaches but am very interested in hearing them.

Oct, '13 TT Workshop: Mounting cartridges and setting geometry using gauges, inspecting/cleaning stylii, adjusting tracking force and anti-skate on a TT, and dialing in your TT/cartridge setup by listening and/or using tools meant for that like test LPs, scope, etc.

^^^^^^^Yes please.^^^^^^^

:thmbsp:

Bringing the 'scope...

I'd definitely be up for a turntable setup session and yes, I have a candidate or two that I can bring. I'll also bring my microscope but can't guarantee that you or I will be able to conclusively diagnose any stylus with it. You certainly will be able to see it pretty well. --Dan

..will be much appreciated. I have an Ortofon stylus I want to check out before I use it. :thmbsp:

Also, a turntable session would be awesome! I have my "new" Kenwood KD-500 with Black Widow arm that needs a going over. :D

Doug

The issue with a turntable workshop is that someone, or sometwo need to step up to do the workshop.
Here's what I'm thinking the first workshop should be:
1. Mounting cartridges n' stuff including overhang, etc.
2. Various adjustments to get the turntable going
3. How to match symptoms with what adjustment to make to resolve the symptom.

Last February we had a great record rating workshop with Steph_Gaynor and TOM_in_RI tag-teaming the situation and presenting opinions and guidelines.

Perhaps this workshop could be an equivalent tag-team where nobody has to know everything but everybody wins.
Candidates? I could name potential names . . .

In the spirit of presenting and nurturing a series of vinyl workshops, here's a proposition for three vinyl workshops:
1. Turntable setup: Fall Frankenfest: Volunteers needed.
2. Turntable cleanup: Crud removal and restoration: Winter Freezefest: Volunteers needed.
3. Digitizing vinyl rips, cleaning up clicks and pops, file rendering for digital playback: Summer Sweatfest: Bostown has volunteered. Others?

I know I plan on setting up a music server so I'd find this all very interesting. How about you?

For a turntable workshop to happen, we need someone or some people to perform the workshop.
This workshop will not happen without volunteers.
If you would like to volunteer and need assistance with preparation or the public speaking part of delivering a workshop, please let me know.
No volunteers, no workshop.

Back
Top Bottom