Help with Yamaha Cr-840 & Braun L500A Set Up

surfinpetals

Hey Guys - I really need some advice here. I have a vintage silver faced Yamaha CR-840 powering old L500A Brauns. The speakers were repaired by Richard So (who is excellent) of Richard So Electronics.

I took the receiver in last week to a guy here in Charlotte who does work on vintage audio. According to the receipt, he rebuilt the main board and replaced some capacitors which he said were leaking.

I hooked it up yesterday. Put on Robert Johnson, and had about 2 minutes of BLISS before the same popping sound started AGAIN! It is not constant. It is a LOUD erratic POP! I'm beginning to think it's some kind of inconsistency in the set-up. According to the literature - the CR-840 should be used with speakers between 4 and 16 ohms that are rated to take the full 60 watts of output power. The Brauns are 4 ohms but I do not know what kind of power they take.

Any advice?

No, it's not speaker impedance. Assuming the speakers don't have some intermittent (or the cables), and assuming the input doesn't have some problem, the tech missed something. Does it do it on FM? Aux inputs? If so, bring it back and have him track down the problem.

What Conrad said, plus this suggestion: If you have headphones, listening through 'phones with the speaker switch turned to off, and with an internal source such as FM, could help confirm whether it's an internal problem.

chazix

Back
Top Bottom