Record Shops in Detroit area

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯ `· .¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>‏

Yep, we must talk about your pic's.

I cleaned up the list and added links. Maybe it will be a little more useful, now.

Pete Flanders, just up the street from there is better, think the JellyBeans on Fenton Rd. may have a better selection, than the one on Dort... Giving away all my fall backs..

There was an ad in the Xmas week issue of Metrotimes or Real Detroit from The Record Collector that said they were having a 70% off sale before closing on Dec 31. Had I not been already into my second pint of Kuhnhenn's Stollen Holiday Ale @ 8.5% when I read it, I would have made the trip. We had to head home the following day. :sigh:

Can anyone confirm the store closing, or did I just read it wrong?

I too had heard they closed, but haven't been able to follow up on it.

There was an ad in the Xmas week issue of Metrotimes or Real Detroit from The Record Collector that said they were having a 70% off sale before closing on Dec 31. Had I not been already into my second pint of Kuhnhenn's Stollen Holiday Ale @ 8.5% when I read it, I would have made the trip. We had to head home the following day. :sigh:

Can anyone confirm the store closing, or did I just read it wrong?

According to the store's Facebook, it was over on the 31st of last month. Rats, I had a store credit slip from the 80's. Maybe I can sell it on Craigslist.

I think I only ever bought one album since they moved to Ferndale. The original store in Old Redford was the best and the owner once told me he regretted moving to Livonia from the original spot. The Livonia store was in a horrible location for a record store, though.

Update: Since we missed this month's recycling day, the MT was still in the bag of newspapers and I found the ad.

The deal was 78% off and the 31st was to be the last day. They are supposed to continue selling on ebay as recordcollectormichigan. I looked at their ebay store and they are still listing the store location, hours and phone #. :scratch2:

313guy, maybe you can use your credit online? :D

Wow! PJ's and Wazoo are still open in Ann Arbor... I used to skip school and go there in 1980. Impressive.

I am just across the border from Detroit. Love the D. Even in its post apocalyptic state there is magic in Detroit. I am going to have to check out the shops mentioned.

Record Graveyard's (newish address)
2610 Carpenter St
Hamtramck, MI 48212
(313) 870-9647

This is were I found Yusef Lateef's -Jazz Mood 1957 on Savoy MG 12103...
M- bitches!

Happy Listening! :beatnik:

Something for the Yoopers and those visiting the UP.

We were in Marquette for the Fall Beerfest in Sept. and came across this place while walking around downtown. Store was open but there was a note on the door "Back in 5 minutes". We waited around for 15 and continued on. :rolleyes: Looked like they had a pretty fair selection of LPs, tapes, and musical instruments.

Mostly Music
127 West Washington Street
Marquette, MI 49855
(906) 228-3129

Record Graveyard's (newish address)
2610 Carpenter St
Hamtramck, MI 48212
(313) 870-9647

This is were I found Yusef Lateef's -Jazz Mood 1957 on Savoy MG 12103...
M- bitches!

Happy Listening! :beatnik:

I went to High School with the Owner!

PS Not @ RUH!

Very nice!

Long live R.U.High?!Go Panthers!

Last edited:
We must add "Hello Records" to the list. The first store on Bagley and Trumbull is in the shadow of the long-gone Tiger Stadium, and the new store at Jefferson and Chalmers is just finding it's stride. Great selection, very fair prices, and cool clientele. Keep up the good work Wade and Ray!!!!:thmbsp:

While it's been on the back burner, I had a map put together of the local record shops from a couple of years back. It was assembled for a future web project of mine. I should update it with some of the listings here.

On the map, I also included stores that have closed. I think it helps, as someone might remember "...a store named Car City something-or-other" and go nuts trying to find it.

Still a huge hole in the east side thanks to Car City and Record Time (?) closing within months of each other.

Don't forget The Record Lounge in EL. I love this place!

111 Division St.
East Lansing, MI
517-999-0700

Who's heading out for Record Store Day? I can't get away, so I'm pretty much stuck at home...or forced to head to the store in Eastpointe that is close by (who I've noticed is not that fond of new vinyl). Sad that the few titles on my want list will likely be "gouged" eBay or Discogs purchases.

Back
Top Bottom