• Windows Vista

Votes: 41 7.7%
  • Windows 7

Votes: 163 30.5%
  • Windows '98

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • Mac OS X (any version)

Votes: 124 23.2%
  • Linux (post which one you use, i.e. Red Hat, Ubuntu, etc.)

Votes: 50 9.3%
  • Other (explain in your post)

Votes: 34 6.4%

• Total voters

pioneervato

Lunatic Member
I have been thinking about setting up an extra windows based computer that I have with Ubuntu just for fun and was wondering what OS system you currently run or would prefer to run. Also, any thoughts or advice running Linux and why?

I have more than one PC computer running XP but I also have a Mac Mini running OX X Leopard 10.5.8. I guess I should have included a dual platform choice but you can state that in your post if you like.

Last edited:
Advice ? I don't know. But I have been running a linux box for over 15 years here; used many distributions. Lately (some years) I have been using Kubuntu. I never managed to master gnome.

Helios

I used Linux Mint for a while and really liked the no-hassle setup. Yet, for whatever reason, I switched back to Windows. Probably because Win7-- for once!-- just works, and looks great too.
Have you considered upgrading to Win7? It really isn't bad at all! (of course, for the price, it BETTER work!) ;)

I have 2 XP Home and 2 XP Pro.I use the Pro's for my PC's, and the home for my folk's and sister's machines.Heck,I still have a couple of socket 478 MB's new in the box! Never even tried Linux, I just voted on the poll.

I have a variety. On one laptop, my home night and weekend surfer I have a dual boot into Windows 2000Pro that I really like. I also have mounted Fedora 12. I've tried a number of Linux distros and like Fedora best for my use. Also, I have an iBook with OS X 10.5.8 mounted that I use for surfing.

At my office my desktop has XP SP3 Pro that is also my quasi-server. One one laptop I also XP SP3 Pro and on another I'm using Windows 7 Pro. I've also got a spare desktop that I'll likely install XP Pro on.

2 xp pro (like them the best for simplicity)
2 2000 pro (left over machines with too many programs to re-load to a newer OP)
1 2000 server (customer support).
1 98 on an old laptop I had kept around just for vintage decor.

Never used Linux but very Linux-curious.

I just downloaded Ubuntu and burned the ISO onto a CD and am using it right now without actually installing it onto my hard drive. It took me only a couple minutes to figure out how to connect to my wireless network and so far I am liking it. Ubuntu came with Firefox already installed and several other applications.

I think I will have some fun exploring the Linux OS (I had tried Red Hat several years ago but Ubuntu seems to be very user friendly) and see how it does. Cool!

With the exception of my Windows Home Server, all our machines (5 total) are running various flavors of Windows 7.

-D

Windows Vista x64 as the primary OS on my main rig. My main system is a triple boot (using Grub 1.x, can't stand Grub 2.x) - Vista x64 main system, Windows XP 32 bit and Debian AMD64 GNU/Linux.

Vista 32 bit on laptop. OS X (10.6.3) on MacBook Pro.

@ work - Windows server 2003 (inc. R2), server 2008, NT 4 server (yes, we still have one old hosting box running that), Windows Server 2000, Windows XP 32 bit, Debian GNU Linux (32 bit) [various installs from woody, sarge and etch], depending on the machine in question.

Cisco IOS rarely (I'm learning it, but not very interested in it lol, not a networking guy really).

@ Home - VMs - freeBSD, openBSD, Solaris x86 v10, BEOS, Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSuse...

Oh, and there's one of my old boxes running Debian GNU/Linux 32 bit (Sarge), and an old PowerMac G4 running OS X 10.3 panther...

I'm not an OS junkie...honest guv!

Dave

I have been thinking about setting up an extra windows based computer that I have with Ubuntu just for fun and was wondering what OS system you currently run or would prefer to run. Also, any thoughts or advice running Linux and why?

I have more than one PC computer running XP but I also have a Mac Mini running OX X Leopard 10.5.8. I guess I should have included a dual platform choice but you can state that in your post if you like.

A far better way of doing things these days, imho, is virtualisation. Grab a copy of vmware player (free):

http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

Hop onto vmplanet.net here:

http://www.vmplanet.net/

to download free vmware images.

Enjoy!

As to Linux, it's my preferred operating system in many ways - powerful, sleek, secure, very reliable, plenty of choice and freedom. Plus, I'm a GNU FSF fan. I'm a command line type of guy, I find it much more powerful than the GUI to be honest. That said, I'm too lazy to learn bash shell scripting and sed/gawk. I know I should, but alas, me be lazy sometimes. Windows is so...crappy in so many areas. Try searching log files, it's horrid on Windows. DOS blows in so many areas it isn't funny, then there's Windows poor hardware support out of the box...the list goes on.

But, I run Photoshop CS2 for my photography, and up until about a year ago, it didn't play nice with WINE. Hence my migration back to Windows land around 4 years ago. Prior to that, I used Linux as my only operating system (Debian of course).

I work in IT (local medium sized ISP), my primary area is web hosting, email hosting and hosted exchange. I also dabble in MYSQL, MS SQL maintenance, as well as general dialup/dsl/shdsl/ethernet support for our residential and busienss customers. I'm always learning something new. There's not many ISPs where you get level 15 admin access to the main core routers ;-)

Dave

I've two desktops. A family Asus with Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit, and one I built for myself that dual-boots Win7 Pro 32-bit and XP Home SP3.
I also have a Toshiba laptop with Vista Basic SP2.
I'll keep XP ticking long after official support ends to keep old software running.

Last edited:
XP Pro on HTPC

XP Media Center on Toshiba laptop

Vista Home Basic on this HP DV6305US Laptop..HP LIES! Sold defective Laptops and knew about the problems that crop up right after warranty expires, wireless networking adapter dies due to bad mother boards...last piece of HP Crap I'll ever buy.

PCLinuxOS 2010 on an Athlon XP2200, 1G memory, 160g +40g drives...I've tried all the other "easy" to use forms of Linux and have settled on PCLinuxOS for the past several years, it's just the easiest for my poor old addled brain to work with...sometimes I use the K Desktop Environment, other times Gnome...

Funny how persons have different experiences with companies. About 5 years ago, my son replaced a iBook he had nothing but trouble with. He bought a HP laptop and used it for school. Last year there was a line of dead pixels that showed up on the screen. Due to the age, I was unsure whether to replace the computer or not so we sent it to HP for an estimate. About 2 weeks later it was returned with a new screen at no charge. The only other problem we've experienced was a power block that gave out and HP likewise replaced it at no charge.

My oldest laptop in use is this Compaq but it does not count as it was made by Compaq prior to the HP buyout.

I used to run Windows 2000 Pro. But I signed up for Clear Wireless Internet service which requires Windows XP. Installed XP Pro on my desktop, notebook and my brother's computer. No problems .... yet.

On my music server and backup notebook which are Pentium III machines, I have Windows 2000 on both.

I have an old clone tower computer that is a 90 MHz Pentium with 32 MB of RAM that has DOS 5.0, Windows for Workgroups 3.11 and Windows 95 installed. It has a lot of old DOS games on it. Some dating back to the mid 80's!

I have a spare clone computer with an AMD processor I bought at the SA for $20. I might put Linux on that system.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom