Any place in Portland OR for CR 2040 repair

Jaung

Hi,
Could any one recommend a place around Portland Oregon area to repair my CR 2040? I get one channel caught fire. I went to one place and asking me $400. I am not sure it is a reasonable price. Thanks,

I recommend giving Echo Audio a call. Here's a link to their website.

You might also try contacting AK'er tarior who lives in the Longview/Kelso area. He's not in the repair business, but I know that he's done a lot of repair work.

Good luck, the CR-2040 is a terrific receiver.

@ Bucky
I am not from Portland but I live about an hour drive from Portland. So literally we only have one shop in town. And this is my first time visiting the repair shop. Vintage gears are rock-solid :). So he charged me for $50 to take a look to get estimate. I wasn't expecting more than $200. That is when I decide I should look for in Portland. Even the estimate is not the final bill. It could even add up down the road.

My friend said he was asked for $150 to fix loose connection between the cartridge and SME S2 tonearm.

I recommend giving Echo Audio a call. Here's a link to their website.

You might also try contacting AK'er tarior who lives in the Longview/Kelso area. He's not in the repair business, but I know that he's done a lot of repair work.

Good luck, the CR-2040 is a terrific receiver.

Thanks I will contact AK'er tarior. Have you also have experience with "Audio Specialities" from Portland,OR.

I have and can recommend AS for a lot of repair work. He also gives free estimates and a 90 day warranty. I have been going to AS for some years now and will continue to go back. I have never been to Echo for any repairs so I can't comment on their work.
DON"T go to Inner Sound. They are hacks and will rip you off. I speak from experience x2. (I am a slow learner I guess but wanted to give them a fair shake). Never again.
Oh, and Tarior does do repair work at his shop, The Speaker Magnate in Kelso.

You said that 1 of your channels caught fire??? Do you mean it actually caught fire??? Maybe 400 isn't that far off depending on what actually burned up but if you got that estimate from the only shop in town then hopefully a town with more 'competition' will help keep the price lower for repairs.

That's the reality of owning and maintaining vintage gear.
If you can fix it yourself it can be very cost effective - if you have to take it to a pro to repair then you'll pay.
Keep in mind that some of the older gear is tricky to repair and parts availability is sketchy - plus you can repair one part and then something else that has been through decades of heat cycles breaks.
Tech's who take on vintage gear either do it because they love it or are a bit on the crazy side.
And many of us have met those guys!

I go to both shops here in Portland. Doug at Audio Specialties is an honest guy to deal with and is only about a mile from my house. Echo has an experienced guy who is new to them and did a good repair on my Audio Research D52b for a very reasonable charge. My AR D100b needed too much work and was returned to me (which I respect.) I just don't like having to go downtown that often. You should visit both places if you are in town and have the time.

Thanks I will contact AK'er tarior. Have you also have experience with "Audio Specialities" from Portland,OR.
Yes, Doug has done some minor work for me. AFAIK he's an honest guy. I believe that Doug was a partner in a business with Kurt Doslu (the owner of Echo Audio) a number of years ago.

:yes:
I agree. I think that Doug is probably one of the most honest techs I have had any experience with.

Thanks. I will definitely visit AS on Saturday. Right now I am using SX 1250 but I need CR 2040 for MC cartridge which I am planning to use on SL 1200. I will let you know how it go :)

I think the fuse resistor caught fire. And one transistor. After that, all the lights are okay and power on but not audio out. That shop said one channel is gone.

Back
Top Bottom