My Yamaha Journey

stoutblock,
Any concerns about cooking your T-2 with it stacked above the C-2x? I have a C-2a, and considering how hot that runs, I would think yours does too.

stoutblock,
Any concerns about cooking your T-2 with it stacked above the C-2x? I have a C-2a, and considering how hot that runs, I would think yours does too.

Sorry, just saw this...

Yes, the T-2 probably gets hotter than it should. The C-2x does run a little hot.
This is a problem because I like to keep the C-2x on for several days as I think it seems to add even more quality to its performance.

Since this thread I have flipped the Yamaha stack several times with a Nakamichi PA-7AII, CA-7A and ST-7 stack. I am in quite a dilemma as I have not been able to tell which one I like best. Such a good problem to have :yes:

I am actually listening to the C-2x paired with the PA-7AII now. I am impressed with both the C-2x and CA-7A but they are different. The phono stage specifically is unique to each one.

I have probably spent 20+ hours flipping between the two. I have them mounted on top of each other so things can be swapped quickly. Using my VPI Classic 1 and Dynavector 20x2L, same interconnects (Avanti), same power chord (audioquest). I was careful to have the sound level the same between flipping by using a db meter. I find an average of about 80db works well in this room.

The CA-7A has more detail than the C-2x with the instruments having a more specific and isolated location in the sound space. The CA-7A EQ is a little more extended in the higher frequencies than the c-2x, and the upper midrange is more forward.

The C-2x is softer with a little less dynamics, and although the sound space is plenty large, the instruments are not so isolated. I think the C-2x actually has a deeper sound space in that many instruments are further back than others. In comparison the instruments with the CA-7A are all a little more forward. The instruments are located well in the sound space but not so isolated as with the CA-7A. The sources do blend together a little more with the C-2x but in the process they also really make the speakers disappear.

In summary I will say all these differences are in the +/- 10% type magnitude.

The Nak is a little crisper, a little hotter in some ways but not so much to be concerning. It will grab your attention in the process of listening and the sound space can be a little startling.

The C-2x is more relaxed and presents a more warm experience. Sound space is deep but gentle with no surprises. You are a little further from the stage than with the Nak.

Back
Top Bottom