My Yamaha Journey

stoutblock

"If it sounds good, it is good." Duke Ellington
Subscriber
It all started when I picked up an M-4 and C-80 for my brother a couple of years back. He was a little down and out and wanted an affordable system to play his vinyl on his ADS L1290s. I was greatly impressed with the sound once we set it up in his house and at the price he was too.

Then one of my other brothers wanted a set up so I found a C-60, M-60 combination for him to drive some JBL L100 speakers he had.

Later I picked up a couple of M-4s for myself and then a C-85. I did some recapping and upgraded the speaker terminals on the M-4 and RCA connectors on the C-85. Then I found a nice M-2 and then I found an even nicer M-2 so I recapped these (Dave also did some work on one) and upgraded the speaker terminals, RCA connectors and added an IEC with better cables.

Then I found a T-85 of which I thought was a great tuner until I found a T-2 which is an awesome sounding little gem. Then I picked up an C-4 that needed some work. With a few cap repairs I got the aux to work but the phono stage still needs work (on its way to see Dave). I still like the C-85 a little better than the C-4 but I may change my mind when Dave gets it back to me.

Then my world changed. I was able to find a C-2x from a fellow AK'er a few weeks ago. I upgraded the RCA terminals (a few were broke) and added a IEC with a good cable and I am now in Yamaheaven!

The T-2, C-2x, and M-2 combination is simply awesome! This combined with my Music Hall MMF7, Dynavector 10x5, Music Hall Maverick SACD, Music Hall DAC25.3 (soon to be replaced with an audio-gd reference 5.2), Soliloquy 6.5 speakers and all connected with Avanti seems to be a perfect combination for what I expect in a system.

I would recommend this stack to anyone who loves the Yamaha sound. I think it would be hard to beat at any price...

Very happy camper! :D

IMG_6128Yamahastack3.jpg

That Naka-stack is crying!
Seriously, can echo your joy with a number of those components. The C-4 here needs a total workover (wasn't so thrilled with phono stage too) but the restored B-5, while it has no meters, '... is simply awesome'. 10X5 is a nice cart to compliment the sound get up.
Keep on camping.

No doubt your system sounds spectacular Stoutblock. I missed out on both occasions to acquire the PRE's. I had seen the BT post for the C2x, but had no idea what it was, and while I was googling it, you had jumped on the deal. Afterwards, I was going to inquire about buying your C85, but hesitated to ask, only to find out a couple of days ago you had sold the C85 the night before on BT. Congrats on a fine system but Doh!

That Naka-stack is crying!
Seriously, can echo your joy with a number of those components. The C-4 here needs a total workover (wasn't so thrilled with phono stage too) but the restored B-5, while it has no meters, '... is simply awesome'. 10X5 is a nice cart to compliment the sound get up.
Keep on camping.

Yes, the Nakamichi System 1 (I have 2) is a lot of fun. Not on the same level as this Yamaha setup but very respectable.

No doubt your system sounds spectacular Stoutblock. I missed out on both occasions to acquire the PRE's. I had seen the BT post for the C2x, but had no idea what it was, and while I was googling it, you had jumped on the deal. Afterwards, I was going to inquire about buying your C85, but hesitated to ask, only to find out a couple of days ago you had sold the C85 the night before on BT. Congrats on a fine system but Doh!

Mark gave me a great price on the C-2x so I returned the karma to the group and sold the C-85 at a good price. Its on the way to eitan now.

I went through a similar journey with Yamaha separates, ending with a C-2x, T-2, M-4 set-up. I then went full circle, and went back to an integrated/tuner combo, with a CA-2010 and CT-1010. They have the right combination of looks and performance for me. :yes:

I went through a similar journey with Yamaha separates, ending with a C-2x, T-2, M-4 set-up. I then went full circle, and went back to an integrated/tuner combo, with a CA-2010 and CT-1010. They have the right combination of looks and performance for me. :yes:

How is the phono stage in the CA-2010 compared to the C-2x?

I have a CR2020, and would think the sound would be similar to the CA-2010? I used a c80 going out to the amp section of the CR2020, and thought it was a noticeable improvement over the internal preamp of the CR2020.

How is the phono stage in the CA-2010 compared to the C-2x?

I'm probably not the best judge of the relative merits of how they differ. I just don't seem to have that discerning of an ear I guess, as all of the Yamaha gear I've had sounds great to my ears. That said, the C-2x was definitely the best pre-amp I've had in my home. It was dead quiet during silent passages in the music, and is built like a tank. I don't have a high-end TT or cart, so the CA-2010 works for me. I like the looks of the silver faced gear with the wood cabinets better than I do the all black stuff, so I moved away from the Yamaha separates. I did keep an A-1 and T-1 combo, to be restored at a later date, so I can still admire those lighted push buttons. :D The A-1 with the Disc switch engaged is the best phono stage I've owned.

Well the journey continues!

Last year I picked up a nice B-2 and rebuilt it with all new caps, trim pots, relays, speaker terminals and IEC plug. Best sounding amp I have ever owned!

The C-2x and B-2 combination makes my Soliloquy 6.5 speakers simply sound superb!

This week I picked up a retro Yamaha CD-S2000. Great CD/SACD player and fits perfectly with the other gear. You would never know these were built 30 years apart!

IMG_6620net_zpsbf3fde6c.jpg

IMG_6622net_zps405bd75b.jpg

Now all you need is some NS1000Ms to round out the Yamaha system.

If I were to get Yamaha speakers, those would be the ones to own (or the NS-2000) but I am not a big fan of those. I like my Soliloquy 6.5 speakers just fine :yes:

soliloquy.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

If I were to get Yamaha speakers, those would be the ones to own (or the NS-2000) but I am not a big fan of those. I like my Soliloquy 6.5 speakers just fine :yes:

soliloquy.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Very nice speakers you have there. I wouldn't switch them out for the Yammies either. And I know how nice the NS1000ms sound with the combo you have.

After drooling at the picture of your speakers for a while, it finally came into focus. So I have to ask you about your tank in the background. How big and what's in it?

but I am not a big fan of those.

Stout, drop by sometime and you might change your mind; the B-2 and the NS-1KM's really compliment each other in so many ways. :thmbsp:

I like my Soliloquy 6.5 speakers just fine :yes:

Very nice ... I remember when you got those. I'm thinking in that beautiful listening room of yours they'll do a nicer job than the 1KM's will ...

stereo087net.jpg

:tresbon:

After drooling at the picture of your speakers for a while, it finally came into focus. So I have to ask you about your tank in the background. How big and what's in it?

That picture was taken several years back. My kids liked the fish tank but now they are all off to school so I gave the system away. I think it was 100 gallons.

Stout, drop by sometime and you might change your mind; the B-2 and the NS-1KM's really compliment each other in so many ways. :thmbsp:

I have to admit that it has been years since I've heard the Yamaha speakers and not sure what system they were on. I know when I bought new speakers back in the 80s I auditioned them but liked the ADS sound better.

Very nice ... I remember when you got those. I'm thinking in that beautiful listening room of yours they'll do a nicer job than the 1KM's will ...

Yes, It has been a long journey. I don't think I had any Yamaha gear back then. I tried tube amps, primaluna prologue 5 and then later prologue 7 monoblock but the Soliloquy seem to respond better to the SS amps. The tower speakers seem to provide great imaging and depth in this room.

With Music Hall Maverick

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom