Infinity Interludes

I have two sets of il 40 and I am running a pioneer elite on one set at 100 wpc and an older yamaha rx-v 800 on the other. I was thinking about getting a nice 2 channel amp like an older adcom or Carver with like 250 wpc. Do you think it will make that much of a difference, and can I just run the two mains on the preouts of my elite reciever and still use them in my home theater system for movies, and in two channel for music. They are great sounding speakers and I got all four and an il110 sub and il 25 c off craigslist for only $200

As mentioned....you scored well!!!

I picked up my IL40s (black ash) locally off CL 3 yrs ago for $200, in excellent condition. I took my own amp, and listening material. The seller was a sound engineer. You shouldve seenwhat is in this guys garage/offfice! I almost had to change my boxers if you catch my drift!

.I couldnt be happier. I set out on a budget of 300 or less, looked at, read about, numerous options.
Within the first 2 minutes of listening to Dave Brubeck and Bassnectar (timestretch).....i was sold. He wanted 250, talked him down.

My biggest regret....not buying the IL60s he also was selling! One had a blown sub, didnt have RABOS, but only wanted 300. Still kicking myself in the ass!

Back on topic....these IL40s are the first "good" speaker setup Ive had in about 20 years. The only other "small woofer" speaker Ive owned were JBL lx800s. I love the IL40s.

Ive heard many self-proclaimed purists state the IL40s are weak in the low range, and slighty hot in the highs. Nothing a slight eq adjustment, and placment, cant take care of.

Mind you, I listen to mostly heavy rock, dubstep, and jazz. Examples.... Godsmack/Theory of a Deadman, Bassnectar/Skrillex, Dave Brubeck. Someone who loves LF, I can say Im quite happy. Give them some room to breathe. Being rear ported, place them at least 8 inches from a wall. And some width if possible...mine are about 5/6ft apart, I sit maybe 5ft away at most. Probably more like 4. While they dont need to be spiked,due to height, I did. But only because my listening area is in my basement (floor slopes for drain). I spiked the front to level, maybe 3/8 of an inch at most.

Attenuate the highs down, just a titch, a smidge, and you should be golden.

As mentioned....you scored well!!!

I picked up my IL40s (black ash) locally off CL 3 yrs ago for $200, in excellent condition. I took my own amp, and listening material. The seller was a sound engineer. You shouldve seenwhat is in this guys garage/offfice! I almost had to change my boxers if you catch my drift!

.I couldnt be happier. I set out on a budget of 300 or less, looked at, read about, numerous options.
Within the first 2 minutes of listening to Dave Brubeck and Bassnectar (timestretch).....i was sold. He wanted 250, talked him down.

My biggest regret....not buying the IL60s he also was selling! One had a blown sub, didnt have RABOS, but only wanted 300. Still kicking myself in the ass!

Back on topic....these IL40s are the first "good" speaker setup Ive had in about 20 years. The only other "small woofer" speaker Ive owned were JBL lx800s. I love the IL40s.

Ive heard many self-proclaimed purists state the IL40s are weak in the low range, and slighty hot in the highs. Nothing a slight eq adjustment, and placment, cant take care of.

Mind you, I listen to mostly heavy rock, dubstep, and jazz. Examples.... Godsmack/Theory of a Deadman, Bassnectar/Skrillex, Dave Brubeck. Someone who loves LF, I can say Im quite happy. Give them some room to breathe. Being rear ported, place them at least 8 inches from a wall. And some width if possible...mine are about 5/6ft apart, I sit maybe 5ft away at most. Probably more like 4. While they dont need to be spiked,due to height, I did. But only because my listening area is in my basement (floor slopes for drain). I spiked the front to level, maybe 3/8 of an inch at most.

Attenuate the highs down, just a titch, a smidge, and you should be golden.

I thought the same thing about the lows of my IL40's until I changed the xover, delay and speaker placement and size. I can now say that these speakers have more than enough bottom end that is for sure. Most of the time I dont have to turn on the Velodyne ;)

It also depends on what CD you are listening to, or song, whatever. I know it varies greatly by recording.

Yeah the highs are very bright but like you said they can be tamed.

These speakers once dialed in kind of "disappear" and create a very nice sound stage. The sound is reproduced very well and seems to float right in the middle of the room, as if I am in studio. I just bought TOOL Opiate and I can tell you that Prison Sex sounds 1000x better than it did when I first heard it. It sounds like a new song!

I have two sets of il 40 and I am running a pioneer elite on one set at 100 wpc and an older yamaha rx-v 800 on the other. I was thinking about getting a nice 2 channel amp like an older adcom or Carver with like 250 wpc. Do you think it will make that much of a difference, and can I just run the two mains on the preouts of my elite reciever and still use them in my home theater system for movies, and in two channel for music. They are great sounding speakers and I got all four and an il110 sub and il 25 c off craigslist for only $200

I wanted to do the same thing but after messing with the setting of my DENON, I have no need for a 2 channel system. I figured I would save the 2channel stuff for when I get some really high end speakers, like some WATT puppies or something :D

I thought the same thing about the lows of my IL40's until I changed the xover, delay and speaker placement and size. I can now say that these speakers have more than enough bottom end that is for sure. Most of the time I dont have to turn on the Velodyne ;)

It also depends on what CD you are listening to, or song, whatever. I know it varies greatly by recording.

Yeah the highs are very bright but like you said they can be tamed.

These speakers once dialed in kind of "disappear" and create a very nice sound stage. The sound is reproduced very well and seems to float right in the middle of the room, as if I am in studio. I just bought TOOL Opiate and I can tell you that Prison Sex sounds 1000x better than it did when I first heard it. It sounds like a new song!

Im curious about xover modding, I havent looked into yet. Got any referrences?

The bright highs are easily tamed. I hardly had to eq them.

And the soundstage.....my exact thoughts! I was very surprised, even testing them in that garage before comitting. Very transparent in that regard. Excellent speaker for the money, if a used pair in good condition can be found.

If they sound anything like the IL60s I'd say excellent speaker, period.

The lows arent as strong, or extend as far. But everything else equal, damn close.

I think I mentioned I almost bought some 60s as well. Seller had a pair, but one had a blown sub or amp...i dont remember exactly. Didnt have RABOS either. Only wanted $300 for the pair of 60s!

My choice was fully functional, excellent condition, excellent sounding IL40s...or IL60s in need of repair, that would require more money. Considering I didnt have any speakers at the time, I chose the 40s.

Sadly, I couldnt afford both. If I recall, I remember hearing that the 60s are very finicky and picky in regards to placement and calibration regarding the sub. That RABOS is pretty much a requirement to get them "dialed in". If I couldve afforded both, I would have for those prices. As Ive heard the 60s are astounding once set up properly.

Don't be. These speakers from Floyd Toole were remarkable when new. They remain so.

yep agree. Have 2 pairs of the IL10s. Great speaker for the money and can make some more expensive stuff look overpriced. Replacing the jumpers with better quality wire helps, as well as doing an upgrade or bypass on the tweeter caps in the Xover. Very musical sounding speaker.

Woohoo! Zombie thread lives again! Will add that the IL40s I picked up for a song this summer (and then repaired :/ ) are sounding pretty nice. I'm quite sure I haven't fully tested them yet, but doubt that I will pursue a recap on them. They might be 15 years old, plenty of life left in 'em.

Im curious about xover modding, I havent looked into yet. Got any referrences?

The bright highs are easily tamed. I hardly had to eq them.

And the soundstage.....my exact thoughts! I was very surprised, even testing them in that garage before comitting. Very transparent in that regard. Excellent speaker for the money, if a used pair in good condition can be found.

Have not tried cross over mods on the IL40s, but have done several pairs of IL10s which came out very well. Both models use electrolytic caps in the cross over board. On the IL10, there is not a lot of room, so all out replacement of 'lytics with film caps is not an easy option. But you can bypass the stock caps with film and foil, and there is enough room to fit the assembly back together and slide back into the rear of the cabinet. Just need to be careful where you place the film caps so they do not interfere with the binding posts on the mating piece. Here are a few pics.

best

Attachments

• IMG_0332.JPG
    IMG_0332.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0333 reduced IL10.jpg
    IMG_0333 reduced IL10.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 29
I just inherited a pair of IL 40's from my sister, I have to admit they sound pretty nice, they have a smooth midrange, only thing is the tweeter is kind of dull/rolled off as compared to the K9's and epsilons, a new quality cap in the crossover for the tweeter would really make them shine
IMG_0020[1].JPG

I just found some IL40s and am quite impressed. I’ve had lots of different speakers in and out in the past two decades.
They’re very balanced and relaxed. Listenable. I don’t have carpet, so the tweeters in their recessed waveguides work smartly. And the bass is civilized and easy to integrate with a subwoofer or two if you choose.

I just inherited a pair of IL 40's from my sister, I have to admit they sound pretty nice, they have a smooth midrange, only thing is the tweeter is kind of dull/rolled off as compared to the K9's and epsilons, a new quality cap in the crossover for the tweeter would really make them shine
View attachment 1052974
How’re the fish?!

Any chance one of the owners of the IL40s would have a crossover diagram or a copy of the service manual? I’d like to update the crossover with better quality parts while using the same configuration.

I called Infinity/Harmon but they wouldn’t give up the goods. :(

Back
Top Bottom