Infinity Interludes

jbbouwkamp

I just picked up some Infinity IL10 and IL30 speakers. Never had listened to these speakers so always up for giving a speaker a chance. Tried the IL30 first, one speaker only the tweeter works, and the other speaker has a buzz in the 6.5" midbass driver. Oooops, maybe not such a good purchase. But I'd like to see what's going on inside. Any ideas on how to get the silver front off of these to the get drivers out??? There are no direct screws visible for pulling the tweeters or drivers out.
Secondly, very first impressions on the IL30 were mixed. I need to throw more music at them. Tried only Nanci Griffith on them so far. The speakers do a great job of disappearing and giving front to back depth, however, the imaging is mediocre and the midrange is lackluster. The midrange is so smooth as to give no good definition to the vocals or anything else. I did really like the silky smooth, and defined, highs.
If anyone has any ideas on the how to get at the IL30 I would appreciate it so I can get them up and going.
Thanks!

OK, I'm going to answer my own thread since I figured it out. On the Interlude series you need to pull out the plugs that the grill cover goes into. The phillips heads are under them. Once the decorative trim is off then you can get to the drivers. After getting these apart I must say I'm quite impressed. The cabinets are reinforced several places and the front baffle is about 1 1/2" thick. The 6.5" cmmd drivers have double magnets and the shield around them. I took the drivers out of the IL10's and put them in the IL30's. I'm quite impressed by the IL30's. Great highs and depth. After listening to the IL30's I'm becoming more impressed by their smooth midrange and wow, do these things ever have a quick punchy deep bass for their size. Anyone else have these or any other Interlude series speakers? Interested in opinions. I'm just comparing them so far to my Paradigm Studio 80s. The Interludes could still use more definition in the midrange but they are very smooth and extended sounding. More listening needed.

I have a pair of IL60s that will be with me until the end. I'm not good at describing sound qualities, but they are better than the Infinity Overture3s that they replaced, just nowhere near as attractive. I love their sound with music and movies although my music choices tend to be symphonic/big band jazz. Interludes are ugly. But Infinity took the sound quality and design of the high end Intermezzo line and made it affordable. I guess looks can be deceiving.

The IL30's are single handedly responsible for my descent into fidelity madness. I got a pair of these and an IL100s sub off the 'gon for a deal many years ago and was very impressed.

However, the real magic happened after I got them off the HT receiver and onto a beefy Rotel amp. Everything I liked about these underestimated speakers increased ten-fold. I looked long and hard for their successors and remembered coming away from auditions of some $3k towers that were only a marginal improvement, if that, over the Interludes.

I think you've described their performance very well, particularly the soudstage. I even liked how they looked. Not everyone did. I did order a pair of IL10's for surround use but I had to return them as they wouldn't work logistically where I needed them to go. I did listen to them as fronts for a while and would describe them as identical to the 30's with less bass extension (as you would expect).

Hopefully you have them on a competent two-channel amp. If not, get one. Nothing extravagant is needed. Just good current. You got a great bang for the buck speaker there. Enjoy.

However, the real magic happened after I got them off the HT receiver and onto a beefy Rotel amp. Everything I liked about these underestimated speakers increased ten-fold. I looked long and hard for their successors and remembered coming away from auditions of some $3k towers that were only a marginal improvement, if that, over the Interludes.
Hopefully you have them on a competent two-channel amp. If not, get one. Nothing extravagant is needed. Just good current. You got a great bang for the buck speaker there. Enjoy.

You describe very well what happened with my IL60s. I was pleased with their sound but not overwhelmed when they were driven by a good Sony HT receiver (DB model). It wasn't until I inserted an old Carver M1.5t 350 wpc amp into the mix did the speakers really come alive. Now I really have a tough time wiping the smile off my face every time the music comes alive.

After listening for several weeks to the IL30 and IL10 the impression is still similar. Very smooth. Smooth but sometimes thin highs, recessed mids that are a little lacking in detail, and lows that are astonishing considering 6.5" drivers and relatively small cabinets. Infinity does know how to do their bass. My Quantum 3s still have the most bass impact of any of my speakers (Paradigm Studio 80 and Linn Isobariks --- both known for having good bass). I'm guessing the IL series midrange would greatly improve with the 4" midrange like in the IL and IL60.

After listening for several weeks to the IL30 and IL10 the impression is still similar. Very smooth. Smooth but sometimes thin highs, recessed mids that are a little lacking in detail, and lows that are astonishing considering 6.5" drivers and relatively small cabinets. Infinity does know how to do their bass. My Quantum 3s still have the most bass impact of any of my speakers (Paradigm Studio 80 and Linn Isobariks --- both known for having good bass). I'm guessing the IL series midrange would greatly improve with the 4" midrange like in the IL and IL60.
Guess am late to the party. Well I've recently picked up a mint condition pair for $70 and that's the best thing happened to me in the recent days. They are morethan wow!! They fill my living room..!! And I float!!:banana:

Guess am late to the party. Well I've recently picked up a mint condition pair for $70 and that's the best thing happened to me in the recent days. They are morethan wow!! They fill my living room..!! And I float!!:banana:

Which model did you get?

Always been a fan of the interlude/intermezzo line. I've heard the il10, il36c, il120s, and intermezzo 1.2s. I dont know if you're into a 5.1 or stereo setup... but the il36c (center) is the best center i've ever heard. Like you, when i first heard it, i thought the midrange was dead and the highs were a bit too smooth. But after listening to it for a month ir two, and after a few adjustments, it is by far my favorite center. I'm sadly selling it though, as i have switched to a traditional stereo setup. The il120s and the intermezzo 1.2s subwoofers kick butt. Like the center, i have yet to find any other sub i like better. But be warned, RABOS is ABSOLUTELY necessary to make these subs perform at their best. I have both of these subs with the RABOS kit, and dont think i'll ever sell them!

Last edited:
Always been a fan of the interlude/intermezzo line. I've heard the il10, il36c, il120s, and intermezzo 1.2s. I dont know if you're into a 5.1 or stereo setup... but the il36c (center) is the best center i've ever heard. Like you, when i first heard it, i thought the midrange was dead and the highs were a bit too smooth. But after listening to it for a month ir two, and after a few adjustments, it is by far my favorite center. I'm sadly selling it though, as i have switched to a traditional stereo setup. The il120s and the intermezzo 1.2s subwoofers kick butt. Like the center, i have yet to find any other sub i like better. But be warned, RABOS is ABSOLUTELY necessary to make these subs perform at their best. I have both of these subs with the RABOS kit, and dont think i'll ever sell them!

Ya I gotta say these are nice speakers for the price. I just sold my il36c and il120s. The tweeters are a little on the warm side but I find I'd rather have a warm speaker than one thats overly bright. The detail is still there though, and that 4" midrange really makes vocals stand out. I'd like to listen to a pair of il30's or il10's to hear how they compare to the center and subwoofer. And Infinity! is right about RABOS, if you do buy an Infinity sub keep an eye out for the RABOS kits, they show up on ebay occasionally and they are well worth the money.

Might as well throw my hat into the ring...

Just picked up some IL40's, IL10's and an IL25c...I currently have only listened to them as individual pairs on a DENON 3805 and from what I have heard, so far, is VERY impressive. I too have begun a quest! A quest for the "perfect" system!!

haha, now I am looking for a good used 2 channel amp with a sub out because it sounds (or doesnt sound haha) as if maybe I can get better sound out of the IL40's with a better amp with a few more watts per channel. Any recommendations?

Interlude 10 Parts Search

I've had my IL10s for a very long time now, and have moved like a gypsy the last 3 years or so. I just this past weekend got to set back up my surround sound for the first time in a long while.

In the process I discovered that one of my 10s managed to lose the connector bridge that connects the two negative posts. The speaker is having some frequency troubles as a result (not bi-wired in this case.)

I've done some searching online...but can't manage to find a way to purchase them...ebay, amazon, google searches. Does anyone know where I can purchase them? I'm guessing they are sold as a kit if at all on the aftermarket. I can rig a jumper of some sort, but would rather keep it uniform if possible. Any help would be great, thanks in advance.

Any wire will work. I doubt that such an esoteric item from a 13 year old speaker would be available outside of purchasing another IL10.

Thanks. Was starting to think the same direction. I was surprised there were still somewhat current posts about these speakers.....figured it was worth an inquiry. Homemade solution it is then, thanks again.

I've had my IL10s for a very long time now, and have moved like a gypsy the last 3 years or so. I just this past weekend got to set back up my surround sound for the first time in a long while.

In the process I discovered that one of my 10s managed to lose the connector bridge that connects the two negative posts. The speaker is having some frequency troubles as a result (not bi-wired in this case.)

I've done some searching online...but can't manage to find a way to purchase them...ebay, amazon, google searches. Does anyone know where I can purchase them? I'm guessing they are sold as a kit if at all on the aftermarket. I can rig a jumper of some sort, but would rather keep it uniform if possible. Any help would be great, thanks in advance.

Funny, one of my IL10 is missing the bridges as well. I just made a couple wired bridges using forks and 10g wire. Works great.

The IL10's are VERY impressive as far as bookshelves go (for the price).

I have two sets of il 40 and I am running a pioneer elite on one set at 100 wpc and an older yamaha rx-v 800 on the other. I was thinking about getting a nice 2 channel amp like an older adcom or Carver with like 250 wpc. Do you think it will make that much of a difference, and can I just run the two mains on the preouts of my elite reciever and still use them in my home theater system for movies, and in two channel for music. They are great sounding speakers and I got all four and an il110 sub and il 25 c off craigslist for only $200

I have two sets of il 40 and I am running a pioneer elite on one set at 100 wpc and an older yamaha rx-v 800 on the other. I was thinking about getting a nice 2 channel amp like an older adcom or Carver with like 250 wpc. Do you think it will make that much of a difference, and can I just run the two mains on the preouts of my elite reciever and still use them in my home theater system for movies, and in two channel for music. They are great sounding speakers and I got all four and an il110 sub and il 25 c off craigslist for only $200

Dang man... u scored on that setup!!! Anyways, to answer your qeustion, yes u can use the pre outs on ur elite receiver to connect to a seperate power amp. Before i bought my NAD preamp, i was using my old Onkyo reciever as a preamp and used the pre outs on the Onkyo connected to a Crown power amp. For me, the change was drastic! My front channels were Infinity RS III's and it added more dynamics, clarity, and way more bass. Always wanted to hear the IL 40's... never got the chance too.

Back
Top Bottom