Power for Infinity speakers

ryanward84

I recently bought a pair of Infinity RS 5/B speakers with the Single 10" woofer.

I have a Carver MXR 130 which makes them sound really great but it is finicky and prone to issues I have read.

I am looking into getting a vintage receiver 70-80 watt most likely. Is that enough power for these speakers?

What do you power your RS 4, 5 or 6's with? Just curious and having fun pairing different amps and speakers since I got into this hobby in the last year.

Thanks

Hey ryanward84,

Are you looking for a separate amp and preamp setup or an integrated amp (reciever)? If separates, an AMAZING amp for the price that I think would sound great with the RS 5B's would be the NAD 2100. I own one and it is extremely powerful and musical. It typically goes for about $100 on Ebay. It's 60 watts/channel at 8 ohms and can easily drive into 2 ohms if necessary. If you're looking for a receiver, I don't know that area very well and will let others give their input. Best of luck!

Last edited:
I would go for a bit more wattage / headroom. I have RS-IIIa's (with dual 10 inch woofers) and Onkyo A-9070 integrated (clean ~75 wpc at 8 Ohm and ~140 wpc at 4 Ohm) is a substantial improvement over Onkyo TX-8522 receiver (clean ~100 wpc at 8 Ohm, not rated for 4 Ohm loads).

JMO, within reason more power is better. Provided you use it responsibly.
Buy as much (good) power as you can afford.

I ended up finding a Carver MXR 130 integrated (130w) that really makes the Infinity sound great! It was cheap and only the A speaker setting works and as for reliability I've read they struggle but for now I'm loving it.

Back
Top Bottom