Infinity SM122 and SM125 have the same specs?

greenflash

Hi everyone, I've spotted a nice deal for a couple of Infinity speakers. I can get from the same dealer either SM125 or SM122, the latter a little less expensive.

Apart from the imitated wood finish in the 125s they tell me they both have the same specs, I could not get any info on the SM122s though.. Is that a real fact?

Thanks!

According to this web site http://www.infinity-classics.de/index.htm (which has a few mistakes I've noticed, like claiming that these speakers were made in 1975) the SM122 is 49Hz - 27 kHz while the SM125 goes down a lot lower to 32Hz - 27 kHz.

These are NOT among the beloved Infinity speakers due to cheap cabinet construction. If you buy them you should consider resealing the boxes and reinforcing the baffles.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot!! Your input helps a lot. Unfortunately down here in Argentina is the best I can get for the price (the SM line). Very expensive in fact although I get a discount :). About the enclosure I have only the option of the black finish or the brown, wood-like version. They also offer the sm152 but I assume there is not much difference in the construction..

Last edited:
Finally I bought the SM125 in wood finish! I am veery happy! I feel it's a nice upgrade to the sound of my setup.

VejrQybl.jpg

Finally I bought the SM125 in wood finish! I am veery happy! I feel it's a nice upgrade to the sound of my setup.

Congrats man! They look to be in great shape. I know a lot of poeple look down on/dislike anything from the SM line, but tbh, that's where i first started my Infinity OBSESSION! My friend bought a pair of SM 112's a few years ago, and we were just blown away by the sound. From there, we just moved up the line: kappa 6's, RS III's, RS IIb's, and just last week i got a pair of Infinitesimal .1's for my tv! Enjoy the 125's and how little power they take to get going. And in the mean time, look for anything that has an EMIT tweeter... u'll never go back!

Thanks a lot! Will take note of your tip. Speakers are expensive down here.. I have besides the 125 a pair of Pioneer Cs722, Sansui towers and a couple of Infinity Sm85 on a Marantz amp. They sound so good for the size that they helped me decide.

Yea, just enjoy them! I hear ya about speakers being expensive. Its a hard hobby sometimes (especially with vintage Infinity speakers). Hahaha Just keep an eye out, something's bound to show up around your area. :music:

While the SM line may not be considered an "SQ" line, they can rock out very well, and sound good doing it. Ive always considered the SM the cerwin vegas of Infinity. These things can jam like CVs, and sound better doing it IMO.

Do I own a pair? Not yet. But I was astounded by their ability to party 22yrs ago when I was 16 and at a house party. :)

@zagnutty that"s very interesting as I was considering some CVs too but smaller for other room (CV5? Not sure). I paired the SM125s with the Pioneer SA706 while I kept the Sx880 with the cs722s. That 706 boy is a keeper. I also got a smaller Marantz 2235b but I think it ain't big enough for the 125s. Anyway I was able to finally hear the bass in "Ghosts" by The Jam without distortion!

@zagnutty that"s very interesting as I was considering some CVs too but smaller for other room (CV5? Not sure). I paired the SM125s with the Pioneer SA706 while I kept the Sx880 with the cs722s. That 706 boy is a keeper. I also got a smaller Marantz 2235b but I think it ain't big enough for the 125s. Anyway I was able to finally hear the bass in "Ghosts" by The Jam without distortion!

Ive never owned any SM model. However, I did own some CV ls10s. Probably CVs most dissapointing consumer ranger speaks. But...having known the at and dx CV fairly well, and while never owning SM Infinitys, there was still a comparison in my mind. The SMs my friend owned, while not quite the monsters that the CV AT where, the SMs could "hang" with them. The ATs handled a SPL slightly better, while the SMs seemed to handle SQ and lower freq resp better.

Mind you, I was about 14 at the time, 24yrs ago. I was on my "upswing" into the audio world. I ended up focusing on car audio, 4/5 years later. Heavily using MB Quart, Boston, JL, PPI and Phoenix Gold...while all near their pinnacle.

I love the SMs. Not necessarily SQ oriented, but man...personally Id rather have SMs than ATs. :D

Had a pair of SM122 a long time ago. Cabinet needs internal bracing to cut down the boom but then they wouldn't be SM122's anymore.

I have a pair of SM 125's that I bought brand-new from B & B Appliance in Middleburg Heights Ohio in 1996. Mine look exactly like the ones that are posted by "greenflash". The Carver guy in Oregon is not a big fan of this speaker but he did say that the "poly cell tweeter" is one of his favorites! I agree with him as far as the tweeter goes. I think my infinity SM 125's still sound amazing. They sound even better now that I am pushing them with a Harmon Kardon 825 preamp along with the Harmon Kardon 870 power amp.

I have heard SM 115 vs CV AT-3 or 5 and the Infinity blew it away, not even close. I was the owner of the CV's. Also the resetting circuit breakers on the CV are a real pain in the butt. I had a pair of D5s and had my Kenwood M2A power amp rip the voice coils through the cones. 200wpc RMS my butt.

Back
Top Bottom